Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Jetboaters question (Read 739 times)
smokin salmon
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Jetboaters question
Nov 14th, 2019 at 6:44am
Print Post  
So Iíve had my little boat for many years and it had been a while since I rebuilt the impellor. With new rings and bearings , valves etc last year , boat going awesome so I thought Iíd do the impellor.Got it done and refitted.So for some reason it doesnít seem as good( or was I expecting more).the outside diameter is good , the only difference I noticed when it was done is the lead edge has been sharpened back so itís probably not as square if u get what I mean. Itís a slow boat anyway but perfect for what I do.Any thoughts?

IP Logged

uk_exile
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Jetboaters question
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 7:57am
Print Post  
Depends on what jet unit you're running. I suggest you ask question on http://www.jbnz.co.nz/yabbse/

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
smokin salmon wrote on Nov 14th, 2019 at 6:44am:
So Iíve had my little boat for many years and it had been a while since I rebuilt the impellor. With new rings and bearings , valves etc last year , boat going awesome so I thought Iíd do the impellor.Got it done and refitted.So for some reason it doesnít seem as good( or was I expecting more).the outside diameter is good , the only difference I noticed when it was done is the lead edge has been sharpened back so itís probably not as square if u get what I mean. Itís a slow boat anyway but perfect for what I do.Any thoughts?

Impellor fit really tight in the wear ring/liner?

IP Logged

smokin salmon
Forum Senior

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Sorry guys its a Colorado explorer single stage. Yep the outside diameters a real good fit , had quite a bit of clearance before rebuild Iceman so I sort of expected it to be way better but itís just different. Itís more the squareness of the leading edge that cuts the water thatís not like it was due to the sharpening.Theyve ground it back to make it sharp again. Question is should I have got the steel tips built up before sharpening so they were as originally . Does this loss of leading edge cause it not to perform as well.( bit of a random rant here) Grin

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 7:55am
Print Post  
smokin salmon wrote on Nov 14th, 2019 at 9:09pm:
Sorry guys its a Colorado explorer single stage. Yep the outside diameters a real good fit , had quite a bit of clearance before rebuild Iceman so I sort of expected it to be way better but itís just different. Itís more the squareness of the leading edge that cuts the water thatís not like it was due to the sharpening.Theyve ground it back to make it sharp again. Question is should I have got the steel tips built up before sharpening so they were as originally . Does this loss of leading edge cause it not to perform as well.( bit of a random rant here) Grin

Does the engine over rev when you hit the pedal?† (slippage) The liner wear is usually at the front end of the ring, I know you would have checked your grill to make sure its clear, but had to ask, lol.†
My single stage has the coarsest impellor I can get and my boat is heavy for its size, I get a very small amount of slippage if I floor the pedal, (3 litre v6† Ford) it turns to shite with even a small amount of litter sucked into the intake.

I don't think the edges of your impellor should be feathered, from memory the are  square cut giving you a wider surface on the wear ring.  when I get time I will pull down some boxes to check my spare impellors.

IP Logged

smokin salmon
Forum Senior

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Thanks Ice. I will run with it for this season and pull it out next year to get the lead edges built up.Wear rings good, etc Iíve had the wee boat for 35 years and itís still going great. Wouldnít sell it if I won Lotto.....well maybee.  Grin.

IP Logged

bushrat

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Are you still running gates or a nossel steering ?

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2019 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
bushrat wrote on Nov 17th, 2019 at 10:55pm:
Are you still running gates or a nossel steering ?

my early 70s J31 still has Gates, they have been made slightly longer and work well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards