Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bergara B14 extreme hunter 308 (Read 1769 times)
smokin salmon
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Bergara B14 extreme hunter 308
Nov 8th, 2019 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Anyone using one of these ? Accurate enough ?.If so what factory ammo are you running.Cheers.

IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

Re: Bergara B14 extreme hunter 308
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
https://rodandrifle.co.nz/articles/gear/bergara-b14-308-extreme-hunter/

Sorry best I can do. I looked at the B14 hunter at the start of the year but brought a Sauer 100 instead.

IP Logged

smokin salmon
Forum Senior

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Yep read that , cheers. Pulled the pin and bought one ( package deal) . I値l post up my thoughts when I get it all sorted.Seems really well built , slightly heavier than a Tikka I壇 say but no heavier all up (scope , dpt ,talleys) than my remington with laminated stock. I知 a shit shot I値l admit so it値l be interesting.Also never shot a suppressed rifle ( old school) Roll Eyes

IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
smokin salmon wrote on Nov 15th, 2019 at 1:09pm:
Also never shot a suppressed rifle

Hopefully you be a convert   Grin Grin
I use my .22-250 with a Gunworks suppressor and it's awesome when culling goats/wallabies as they seemed too confused for the first few shots which means more time for follow up shots.
And have Gunworks suppressor on my 6.5x55, without it, it kicks enough to be unpleasant. good luck with the new rifle

IP Logged

smokin salmon
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Well after generally buggering around over Xmas and doing a bit of fishing I finally got to shoot the new  Bergara 308 yesterday.I was a shit day for shooting really , strong , blustery Norwest.Hot too. I did the shoot 1 , clean ( used bore tech eliminator) for 10 shots as per the book that came with it.Straight away it started to be promising. Quick adjustments at 50 had two shots touching.I ran it in with Federal blue box 150s ( free with the gun), then switched to Hornsby SST 150s( with interlock bullet ).Gun was Bloody good . I did my average rough inch cause I知 a shit shot and my mate who has had a lot of range time shot 3/4 inch .Now this is in real windy conditions in a kale paddock with what I would call a shit rest( a daypack and and a gun bag).He thinks he could shoot them touching on a range. Pretty pleased to be honest. Nice trigger ( haven稚 adjusted yet).Fed flawlessly ( magazine like a Tikka).bugger all recoil , more like push than a boot with the Dpt mk11 .Perfect machining. No burrs or poor cutting.Overall a bloody good rifle for someone who want something other than a tikka.package for someone starting out is about 1900 dollars.( VX freedom , Talley rings which are good rings DPT mk2 and the gun itself).I put my Vx3i on this gun to shoot. So I知 chuffed.Might be leaving the Parker Hale in the cupboard next trip. Cheers, Paul.

IP Logged

davetapson
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Nice to read this.

I went in to Reloaders to buy a Howa 6.5 Creedmoore and walked out with this same package as well.  Not so much what I wanted, but more what I actually need  Smiley

I knew nothing about Bergara rifles, but on some googling around, they seem pretty well liked.

I need to find a pile of cheap .308 ammo and break myself and the rifle in.

Quick dumb question if you don't mind (these I'm full of): when you were cleaning it when shooting it in, did you brush/run patch or just run patches through it? Or something else?

Regards
Dave

IP Logged

ponies
Just Joined

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
If you are after good cheap ammo Belmont is the answer about $1 a round for .308

IP Logged

smokin salmon
Forum Senior

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 6:49am
Print Post  
I shot 1 , cleaned with a nylon brush , then wet patched , all with boretech eliminator Dave.Took my time and did it slowly, letting it cool a bit before cleaning.I wanted to do it right so had no excuse for not shooting straight Grin.I used blue box federal 150 which is cheap. It shot 2 shots touching. I use 165 g American whitetail in my Parker Hale.Im going to try that too.The SST shot good as expected but I will try the 165 in the roar.(nice and close).Shoot and clean is tedious as you just want to fire a few off but it worth it to do it right I think. I noticed there was bugger all copper coming out after 15 shots ( is that a sign of a good barrel?).Cheers.

IP Logged

davetapson
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Thanks for that info.  I did some Googling and it seems their (Bergara) opinion is pretty much "well, our machining is so good, don't really bother, but if you must, then..."

The Howa break-in (which I read seeing as I was set on a Howa  Smiley ) says to do the "let it cool" thing, so I'm assuming there is some value in that.

Picked up couple boxes PerFecta FMJ's for cheapish - now just need to wrangle time out of life to go and spend a quiet morning on the range.

IP Logged

smokin salmon
Forum Senior

Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
So I thought Id follow up on this rifle. Went out today to double check  zero before heading out for the roar. Ive been using American Whitetail 165gm in my Parker hale and it shoots great. Id thought that id like to use it on roaring stags , nice and close etc. popped a couple though using Ssts , then tried the 165 american whitetail.
Surprisingly it didnt group as well , bout an inch and a half.Bit of a bummer as ive got 2 boxes, lol.
So then I gave scottie a shot, back to using good old  cheap federal 150 blue box. Well he shot a half inch 3 shot group  Shocked so the gun obviously likes 150 grain bullets. Id shot 2 touching with the blue  box when running it in . So thats my ammo sorted id say . Hopefully Ill put a pic up in a couple of weeks time of success ( as long as choppers are still flying with this F...ing virus shit around). Cheers and keep safe.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards