Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Selling small game for pet food (Read 818 times)
Ben Collins
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Selling small game for pet food
Oct 29th, 2019 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Does anyone know if someone in Southland buys possums/rabbits/hares for pet food?

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Selling small game for pet food
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2019 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
fordes petfood

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2019 at 10:04am
Print Post  
You have to have MPI certificate which is online and sign off from land owners around no poison - I looked at it a couple of years ago but it wasn’t a viable option for where I was shooting - too many small holdings with several of them using poison to control rabbits the boundaries were stuffed

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2019 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
yup and in southland ES has large tracts of the best farmland under their pca and its covered in brodi.  the farms left that are shootable are either shit or someone else will be thrashing it.

take the cream outve an area and move on, generally not worth shooting farm for petfood more then once every 2yrs (if youre good at taking out most hares in 1go)

Btw fordes wont take many rabbits he hates them, no more then 25% and even then he'll whinge and possums aint worth it with what he demands of them so just pluckem and toss the body.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2019 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
If your near Canterbury.. Big Mountain, Burnham.  Bob Da Knob. Hes Dutch, both in prices and anyway. They cant help having names like that.  He will take anything, hes a pet food slut.  

Tell him Capt Pugwash sent you and dont get too close to him. Just a friendly tip.  Smiley

Big Mountain Naturally (Aoraki) Ltd
540 Burnham School Road Rolleston 7675

He also does human consumption, God help us innocent consumers.

What GH says. If you find a good spot for hares an shoot 90 the first night, you will get no more that 45 the next time you go there. The next time it will be 22 and a half and so on untill its one, or less.

Good luck, Its the hardest smelliest dirtiest unhealthiest job in the world. If you manage to pay for your costs and and still have enough over for one meal a day for yourself and a bit of rabbit meat for the kids your doing well.

The last bloke I worked for, after 4 years of earning nothing but broken fingernails and free dirt under them, I went to the boss and gave him $50,, and told him id not be shooting tonight and told him it would be a good earner tonight because Id not be loosing $100 in expenses and time. 

Wonderful experience though, if you can afford it.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2019 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
HC was it slim pickings or crap prices that made you not make any $$$?  99% Of the time we made good money but just wasnt enough ground to keep it up without big travel/multiday trips, with the exception of 4 or 5 dud outings we would usually average 60+bux an hour each after costs we didnt piss about tho if the quads not moving ya not making money.
also found out quickly that thermal slows ya down too much doin petfood just keep to an hid light and keep moving and grid the farm.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2019 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Poor eyesight.  Grin   suure wernt for lack of effort, and no thermal in those days. I never erned even $20 an hour on average.

You might just be a better shot. Anyway I persevered for years because i loved the lifestyle and the freedom an power of being the biggest preditor on the block. A license to roam around for miles and often new terrain in the solitude of the small hours of the night..

Never regretted it, just got poorer..   Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2019 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
HC you got all the makings of a good rural cop with that list of good reasons - that’s why I loved rural policing. Cant hide when you’re metro......

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Cantyguy
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2019 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Oct 30th, 2019 at 8:02pm:
Poor eyesight.  Grin   suure wernt for lack of effort, and no thermal in those days. I never erned even $20 an hour on average.

You might just be a better shot. Anyway I persevered for years because i loved the lifestyle and the freedom an power of being the biggest preditor on the block. A license to roam around for miles and often new terrain in the solitude of the small hours of the night..

I can second that Smiley

Digital Hunter...in search of the perfect pic

IP Logged

Cantyguy
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Oct 31st, 2019 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
What about Wallaby's? are they a viable option for pet food?

Digital Hunter...in search of the perfect pic

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #10 - Oct 31st, 2019 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Yes have you got some? I know a bloke who is looking to by some at the moment.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #11 - Oct 31st, 2019 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Radar wrote on Oct 31st, 2019 at 1:36pm:
HC you got all the makings of a good rural cop with that list of good reasons - that’s why I loved rural policing. Cant hide when you’re metro......

Probably would enjoy that except for the paperwork. There was enough of that just filling out forms for MPI audits.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

Reply #12 - Oct 31st, 2019 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Oct 30th, 2019 at 8:02pm:

Grin  Grin Grin awsome response.   I have a blast out petfooding and possuming and its hard going back to a normal job in quieter times of the year and its weird going to work at the start of the day  Cheesy

im far from a good shot, dont even try to headshoot although alot are even tho I wasnt aiming there   Grin ammos cheap and I do prob 70% running shots ya go broke waiting for them to sit, but my mates a jew and tries to make every shot count but still hasnt worked out that 25 bullets and 25 hares earns nowhere near as much as 300bullets and 120hares  Shocked everyone has their own ways tho just some better then others...

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #13 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Id just shoot hare in the chest with subs,  even for human consumption. They are bleeders and fall over within 40 meters of a last fast dash for life. You know the ones your sure you hit but they take off like bullet, running strong, then you begin to doubt, only to be assured when there is a slight odd falter in one of its strides and a moment latter it leaps often straight up in the air and dies on the spot.. 

Most I ever shot in one session was 83 in bout 2 hours. There were little groups of 4 and 5 behind every small rise in the paddock, and the paddock was only a small one, short cut, so quick to find the runners. Amazing.

IP Logged

Ackley

Reply #14 - Nov 2nd, 2019 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Sambar deer are more economical HC average weight of 90kg not as difficult to shoot 1tn a nighty Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards