Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic CHC - Anyone keen to take a newbie up around december? (Read 805 times)
JackB
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

CHC - Anyone keen to take a newbie up around december?
Oct 29th, 2019 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Hi

Been doing some rabbiting but no big game yet, keen to go get something non-trophy like to stuff the freezer around christmas, mid-south island area.
I am not too sporty so I am not a quick uphill climber. Ideally a day trip.

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Re: CHC - Anyone keen to take a newbie up around december?
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2019 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Iíd suggest you go visit your local Deer Stalkers Club, plenty of good people there and do a HUNTS program as thatís a great way to start learning about hunting.

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Last NZDA meeting in Chch is last Monday in November.
HUNTS course is already fully signed up for the season.

TBH, I live near chch and travel far away to hunt. 450,000 people on our doorstep, lots of hunters, crims smashing cars parked on the roadside to the bush, 1080 dropped everywhere. Its demoralising.

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

Fordy
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Codeslut

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Maybe try up Lake Sumner RHA always plenty of animals up there - or has it had green snow too?

IP Logged

Sauer

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
I donít live too far from you scottrods and although we too sometimes travel a long way away to hunt, we still get a reasonable number locally - within an hour and a bit drive from where you are.

The catch is it takes us 3 hours to walk in. There may be 450,000+ people, but most of them are either too lazy to walk far enough or just donít know how to match the way they hunt to the area they are in.

Just last week we sat in the same spot for over 2 hours glassing the clearings in the catchment we were in before we saw anything. Closed the gap as they were too far away for us before my son shot one, and then a long walk out.

We left the car at 3.00pm and arrived back at it at 12.10 in the morning. Nearly ran 2 over with the car on the road on the way out.

They are definitely around locally, but you need to sit and watch in a likely spot until they move, not walk around aimlessly hoping you bump into one. We have got the odd one here when we have been on the move, but by far the majority have been shot from where we are sitting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards