Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Working with cyanide strikers. (Read 870 times)
headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Working with cyanide strikers.
Oct 12th, 2019 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Anyone been using these. Im looking for some tips, mainly the safety aspect.

Gonehunting? Im sure you mentioned using them but you havnt been around for a week or so?

I opened up a box containing the baits and cyanide a few days back and pretty sure I got a low dose poisoning..maybe gas trapped in the box?  The world went very strange for about a minute. A steadily climbing feeling Id been poisoned and near loss of consciousness.  It wasn't too bad I must say.. my last thought before it subsided was ''at least this is going to be quick"" ..  Grin

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Re: Working with cyanide strikers.
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Have used the feracol (choli) strikers a bit. Love em. Biggest down side is that you need to pre feed them first. Rats also go for them so if lots of rodents about it might be an issue. Mind you it is with all strikers any way. Good thing about the choli is that when using the toxic they seem to lose their appetite pretty quick so often dont eat way more than a lethal dose. Why are you wanting to use the strikers over the bags? I think the strikers are more expensive? Most contractors seem to use the bags.

Cheers

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Im after Wallabies. Strikers are the recommended bait. Thanks for your comments. When your handling the bags do you take any special safety precautions.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
I use them in bags but same principle.

If theyre new they should be safe as thats why theyre used. superior handling and its powdered cyanide in a biodegradable capsule.  any exposure to moisture and they break down quickly,  thats the down side to them as theyre designed to rapidly breakdown so they can get left out and not retrieved to save labour, paste youve gota stamp out/bury the baits once done.

oil base lure/feed dosent mess with it although it does soften the outer blue green shell but the actual capsule stays intact, the inside will go red/brown once wet so dont f**k with them at that stage.

How many pellets in the strikers?  Can push extra into them but youll break the wax seal so mist/fog will stuff any feratox thats not covered entirely with the prefeed.

what brew of prefeed?  bush margins and open ground are fine but once 10m into the bush the rats will smash them to bits and it gets expensive quick  Angry   we ended up making our own brew for possums as ferafeed is pretty rubbish tbh and also designed for rapid breakdown and the rats liked it far more then possums did,  Even a feratox pellet on its own in a station a rat will eat the outer coat off leaving a perfect lil white ball of cyanide  Shocked  cheeky lil bastards.

cant get amyl nitrate now either so if you get a dose of gas etc start running preferably uphill and make ya heart pump as hard as you can,  standing around questioning weather its the end or not isnt wise  Cheesy  id be suprised if it was from cyanide if it was new and unused but could be,  I always open my storage containers in open air now after I opened an old ammo tin in a mates shed that he didnt know what was in it...  just about bowled us both Undecided

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Oct 13th, 2019 at 2:31pm:
Im after Wallabies. Strikers are the recommended bait. Thanks for your comments. When your handling the bags do you take any special safety precautions.

H&S would dictate that you did use ppe etc when handling but its generaly impractical in most scenarios so just let common sense prevail  Smiley

latex or nitrile gloves are alright to use with tools etc but tear easy and sweaty prune hands.  thick gloves are crap and cant use a stapler or grab bait bags easy.
feratox is pretty safe to handle especialy in bags or strikers we just use bare hands and just keep hands away from face, no wiping/scratchn ya face, picking boogers or eating without a good wash. 

O yea and careful around dogs,  most will gobble down ferafeed without hesitation  Angry  we didnt know that and were lucky it was prefeed bags and not hot with feratox!!

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Thanks GH. Have pmd you.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Oct 12th, 2019 at 5:22pm:
Anyone been using these. Im looking for some tips, mainly the safety aspect.

Gonehunting? Im sure you mentioned using them but you havnt been around for a week or so?

I opened up a box containing the baits and cyanide a few days back and pretty sure I got a low dose poisoning..maybe gas trapped in the box?  The world went very strange for about a minute. A steadily climbing feeling Id been poisoned and near loss of consciousness.  It wasn't too bad I must say.. my last thought before it subsided was ''at least this is going to be quick"" ..  Grin

Where was your amyl nitrate!!! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
id used it all before starting work.  Grin

Seriously, its a prescription drug is it not? Im off to the Doctor to get some on work related grounds. It was in the bigger plan but I did not seriously think id get a wiff of the stuff from opening a box. The capsules are supposed to be in a sealed container.  Smiley

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Yeah, always had to show my cyanide ticket to the Chemist to buy them. And they only last a couple of years. Don't ask how I know Roll Eyes

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
XRhunter wrote on Oct 16th, 2019 at 7:47pm:
Yeah, always had to show my cyanide ticket to the Chemist to buy them. And they only last a couple of years. Don't ask how I know Roll Eyes

how long ago did you get them?
Was at doctor today and nup nothing on database so cant perscribe or get it,  tried the chemist nup best they could do was some low percentage homeopathic spray for hippies.

I had a lil canister of them but my bumbag bust open and lostem a couple months back were expired anyway but anythings better then nothing and I had a mate a few years back before I new what they were who had a wiff of some that had 1984 exp date  Shocked still gave him a rush so dont think its like they dont work at all when theyre old.

google just comes up with an auckland druggie forum  Cheesy guess thats part of the reason theyre banned from import now, and the yanks spat the dummy when they found out nz uses it for cyanide antidote.

HC if you have any luck getting a few ampules through your doc let me know and ill hassle mine some more.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
OK. T'was a while ago I must admit. I did have mates hassle me for them for party pills, but it was so much drama getting them and often they would break when hung on a string around your neck for instant use, that I never gave them any.  Looks like its got even harder to obtain. All they did was rev your heart to the moon, in an attempt to circulate more oxygen around your body than the cyanide locked up. Nitroglycerin does the same thing, but is possibly a wee bit harder to obtain than ameys Wink

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Rats won't take cyanide readily because of it's bitterness. Probably a good thing other wise waxed cyanide pellets would rain down from helicopters. There are other toxins and methods HC, although feratox in my experience is a very safe product.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #12 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Glad to hear that. I put the shits up myself for nothing I realize now. Probably wasn't a poisoning, just my imagination..  still, safe working practice is to be respected with that stuff.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #13 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
low percentage homeopathic spray for hippies.
Grin Grin A shiteload of good that would do..

They used to be very popular in the gay scene when I was a young bloke for some reason. Not that im gay but my girlfriend used to like dragging me along to these parties in Sydney. Apparently she was gay too.  Grin Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards