Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic A bit of a scare (Read 1091 times)
Jimbag
Forum Font

A bit of a scare
Oct 10th, 2019 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
On Tuesday of this week I was at our camp trying to get a whitetail. The field I was hunting is 128 ft. across from a ground blind on the north side to a tree stand on the south side. Being in the ground blind at about five pm. a 2 year old bear cub walked by the tree stand, followed by the much larger sow. Which while passing the stand stood up and and looked up at the spot I normally would be. Both of the bears then  walked into the woods. Two minutes later momma bear walked out beside me about 25 ft. away looking in my direction. Now I am nervous knowing she is with her cub. She sniffed the air a few times turned and left heading away from the spot. Just guessing she was about 350 to 400 lbs. Was happy for her to leave. Have not seen a deer yet. Cheers to all.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: A bit of a scare
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Ouch, obviously and experience one would not want to progress to a closer investigation of dinner waitng in a hole.  Cheesy

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Do you carry some kind of beer deterrent?

IP Logged

Jimbag
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 1:12am
Print Post  
No other than the crossbow or gun later on. It is only the 2nd time I have seen bears in 30 years hunting this property. Its not a real problem, but I may get a can of spray. Its walking to my stands in the dark where there is a slight concern.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards