Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Poll
Poll Question: Your response to seeing a man in a packraft drift through the water you're fishing?
bars   pie

Wave hand - "nice day isn't it mate'    
  17 (94.4%)
Hurl obscenities    
  0 (0.0%)
Hurl rocks    
  0 (0.0%)
cast size two streamers, put that nylon hull to the test    
  1 (5.6%)
Go full "Deliverance" - just the whitewater scene!    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 18
« Created by: el_trout_whisperer on: Oct 10th, 2019 at 1:10pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Your response to seeing a man in a packraft drift through the water you're fishing? (Read 1584 times)
el_trout_whisperer
Forum Senior

Embracing nature's beat
down with Spartan reserve

Your response to seeing a man in a packraft drift through the water you're fishing?
Oct 10th, 2019 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Full context, it's 7pm and a packrafter is drifting back downriver at the end of the day. If you don't wanna incriminate yourself the poll can be taken by "your mate, Dave"  Grin. Wondering if a whitewater helmet might be the go, we trout fishers are a "passionate" bunch  Grin

Kinda sad how this forum and ceased to function and only lurkers remain. 1000 views for every post  Cry. Make it great again, share a tale or two, with pics of the Avon if need be. Hope you all have a great season.

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Your response to seeing a man in a packraft drift through the water you're fishing?
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Yep. Very quiet in here lately E_T_W. Hardly a splosh in the freshwater section and a distinct lack of action in the rapids.
Hopefully they are all out fishing and will come in over the course of the season to tell whopping lies.
As for the packrafter--Not a problem.
Many moons ago my brother in law and I fished the Whakatane River and at first we were alarmed at the amount of jet boats speeding up and down our particular stretches of fishing water. Turns out that the jet boats were a favourite with the trout. When a boat sped by it churned up the aquatic life and the trout moved into position and made the most of the nymphal bonanza.
In the end we were wishing for a jetboat to speed past.
Cheers Tight lines to all. Smiley   

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

Re: Your response to seeing a man in a packraft drift through the water you're fishing?
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
I'd wave while muttering under my breath   Lips Sealed Lips Sealed
And Baz I'm glad you shared that advice otherwise the jetboats would be getting more than a wave.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
we saw similar around lake edges ,we would be set up worming with the kids (they were young and it kept them fishing,put the lynching rope away) a boat would zoom past,big wave up onto bank...parents cursing under breath,but it stirred things up and we kept catching nice fat trout.
now peskis....jetskis that are making a rooster tail and are within shotgun range of the shoreline should be fair game.....the dirt bikes of the water are a real pain in the arse.

same lake and now it appears the new game is to zoom jet boat right around edge,buggering up the fishing and is hell on ducklings......picking up and juggling rock does tend to make them move out a little.
a raft drifting is going past soon anyway....smile and wave.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Ha - seen a few doing that in the Kaimanawa's while I was fishing, and was jealous as f**k as it looked like such fun  Smiley

Edit ........
How about seeing a man floating down the river with his pack out front as buoyancy - have done that a few times in the Waiohine River to cut time traveling - and just for the hell of it  Smiley

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 7:42am
Print Post  
theres a few rising in this this thread, good to see

IP Logged

Chaff

Active member yes, active
hunter no :-(

Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Haha, jealousy? I have to walk back down!

IP Logged

bigfoot708
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2019 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
I know the spawning-run trout in the Tongariro aint as spooky as back-country ones, but have caught them amongst a flotilla of rafts coming down. Large rafts too, not little pack-rafts.
Those pack-rafts look like fun, wouldn't mind one myself!.

IP Logged

Nomads
Donor Member

Angler, hunter, gardener,
cook

Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
I'd have to wave I guess.

Unless i had just purchased the entire river and its catchments etc....
Anyone on here own a river and its contents, incl water?

Other users are entitled to do whatever they like, I cannot object.  I have caught many fish the are feeding on the disturbed riverbed just down from folks having a swim.
The best line form said swimmers after watching a trout being hooked landed and released..."are there trout in here?"

I agree about the traffic on here... and am a bit guilty of not putting anything up for while, however my amount of posts is directly related to the amount of fishing i have done recently.
Very Sad

Like a cane chair at a nudist camp, always leave an impression.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards