Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Danish traditional bowhunter looking for advise (Read 668 times)
HJH87DK
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Danish traditional bowhunter looking for advise
Oct 2nd, 2019 at 9:17pm
Print Post  

I plan on a hunting trip to New Zealand during the Easter 2020. (3/4 - 14/4). It is my intention to rent a car on arrival, hunt on public land and live off the backpack. I do not have any requirements for special exotic species, but would be well pleased to hunt feral goats or simmilar. Since I will be hunting with my longbow, it should probably provide enough challenges. The wife is in the stage of considering whether she wants to participate, if she decides to join me a mountain hunt is is a no go if she is also going to enjoy the trip. I found some interesting areas on the Department of Conservations webside and inspected some aerial photos, but if any of you would like to share some hands-on experience, feel free to send me a private messenge.
I would greatly appreciate any help

Best regards.
Henrik

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Danish traditional bowhunter looking for advise
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2019 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Hey Henrik,

Are you heading to the north or south islands?

IP Logged

HJH87DK
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2019 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Shankspony wrote on Oct 2nd, 2019 at 10:24pm:
Hey Henrik,

Are you heading to the north or south islands?

Hey

I have been looking into some areas of the taranaki on the central north Island. But I am open to any suggestions  Smiley

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
taranaki would be awesome place for goats...they are everywhere....fallow deer and the odd red deer are there too,mostly on private land but plenty on DOC controlled land too.
if you are after quality and not interesting in slaughtering lots of animals ,I cant see you having trouble getting access to private land either.....there are plenty of homestay/bed n breakfast type set ups that MIGHT be able to sort you out with the hunting side aswell.
do your home work,surf the net for contacts,lots of emails later you should have a plan in place. keep in touch on these two forums,you are on a good starting place,someone may even offer to put you up and take you out.stranger things have happened.

IP Logged

HJH87DK
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
[quote author=15313B3321071C2D3B33580 link=1570004229/3#3 date=1570081868]taranaki would be awesome place for goats...they are everywhere....fallow deer and the odd red deer are there too,mostly on private land but plenty on DOC controlled land too.
if you are after quality and not interesting in slaughtering lots of animals ,I cant see you having trouble getting access to private land either.....there are plenty of homestay/bed n breakfast type set ups that MIGHT be able to sort you out with the hunting side aswell.
do your home work,surf the net for contacts,lots of emails later you should have a plan in place. keep in touch on these two forums,you are on a good starting place,someone may even offer to put you up and take you out.stranger things have happened.[/

Thanks for you answer. The taranaki area looks promising on the DOC webside. I am in no way interested in slaughtering lots of animals. That would be difficult with a tradbow anyway. A single kill would make a succesful trip. The chance to witness your country is half of the experience 🙂

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 7:07am
Print Post  
Im just north of Taranaki, and can most likely take you for a hunt. As long as i'm  not away on a trip.
Its just a bit far out to make any firm plans.

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 7:30am
Print Post  
same here, along way out, but if your in my area i could possibly show you around, Im in the top of the sth island, chamonix and thar in the south not the north

IP Logged

HJH87DK
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
[quote author=2E25372B2A1B292720440 link=1570004229/6#6 date=1570127440]same here, along way out, but if your in my area i could possibly show you around, Im in the top of the sth island, chamonix and thar in the south not the north[/

I would really love to hunt thar and chamonix some day, but i guess the terrain will be to much of a challence for the wife, as it is her first Backcountry hunt. I am pretty confident that I Will be back again for a prober mountain hunt on the South Island. Thank you for your kind offer  Smiley

IP Logged

HJH87DK
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
[quote author=4A5959445C121E1C2B0 link=1570004229/5#5 date=1570126049]Im just north of Taranaki, and can most likely take you for a hunt. As long as i'm  not away on a trip.
Its just a bit far out to make any firm plans.[/

Thanks for your kind offer! I will sent you a message when se get closer to the Hunt. I do, of course, not expect you to give away all your personal favorite spots. But could use some help regarding acces to the areas (roads, parking  etc.) And some tips and tricks to the style of hunting. I have never hunted pigs or goats before, but i guess the same principles as spot and Stalk deerhunting applies  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards