Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Quick hunt report- last night. (Read 1674 times)
Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Quick hunt report- last night.
Sep 22nd, 2019 at 9:10am
Print Post  
I got asked to take a guy for a hunt last night. He was using a rifle, so my initial thought was just take your Bino's. At the last second I changed my mind and picked up the bow..... just in case.

A couple of k's of walking and we found an 80-100 lb boar, and he had his pig after a stalk into 50 yards.

Walking home and I decided we should check out a cow that had fallen off a hill during the winter. Sure enough was a small mob hanging about there. I crept in  but got busted by a couple of nice pigs just before I could shoot. Luckily they were not sure what i was and moved off quietly and a few seconds later two sows moved in to take their place. One obviously had piglets, and the other, smaller one was very definitely in pig. I looked at the smaller one and thought, I dont want her having piglets, she's too small and its going to be a runty litter and skinny girl if she does, so moved into 6 meters and drew back the bow.
The other sow moved and now I was going to risk shooting both if I likely got a pass through, so I shifted my aim and put an arrow in behind my pigs ear. No need to follow a blood trail on that one.

IP Logged

Ackley

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Quick hunt report- last night.
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 11:05am
Print Post  
You make this bow hunting sound easy shanks  Grin

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Im not telling you about the many evenings of frustration in between. I actually had another bow hunter here last night as well, and he went to another part of the farm. he sat and watched a sow with piglets, hoping a boar would show up. After a while nothing showed so he moved off. When he looked back a boar was walking across the face 10 meters from where he'd been sitting..... Grin

Thats how it usually gos.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2019 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Nice.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2019 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
good stuff,enjoy the pork,you deserve it.

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews, Leica and Nikon

Reply #5 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 7:08am
Print Post  
Shankspony wrote on Sep 22nd, 2019 at 11:21am:
he sat and watched a sow with piglets, hoping a boar would show up. After a while nothing showed so he moved off. When he looked back a boar was walking across the face 10 meters from where he'd been sitting..... Grin

hahaha maybe the boar had been sitting watching him

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards