Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic prohibited 44 wcf (Read 1014 times)
awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

prohibited 44 wcf
Sep 11th, 2019 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
just realised i have a prohibited firearm in my cabinet, my father in law gave my wife and i his fire arm collection after he surrendered his licence, has anyone had their 44wcf lever action rifle tube magazines modified to be legal? it holds i think 15? in the tube. am i correct in thinking a 15 round mag is now illegal

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: prohibited 44 wcf
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
correct it is...BUT easy to fix...I see you can now buy inserts for tube mags and henry have the tube liner bit for thiers...have a hunt around someone will have something that fits.....or take tube mag off and have a look,if you can get follower cap off,put something the right length in behind it ,check tube capacity,glue the sucker in place and job done...

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
i have no idea what the mag capacity is, its a winchester 1892 44wcf with 20inch barrel, google search only confused me lol

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
only way to be sure is chuck some rounds in it.... Carlsen Highway will be along soon,he will be sure to know.

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
i have no idea what the mag capacity is, its a winchester 1892 44wcf with 20inch barrel, google search only confused me lol

IP Logged

hawken 50

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 11:50am
Print Post  
92 Win Carbine (20" bbl) = 10 round magazine. I have the Rifle version (24" bbl) and that is 14 Round capacity. If you can fit an extra round in when mag is full it will be sitting on the lifter so not part of mag capacity. I know a few cowboy action shooters and the carbines are all OK. As stated it is an easy fix we just have to wait for what nonsense comes out of Police HQ re recognised Gunsmith but also they pay for mods.

IP Logged

muzza
Donor Member

Older and grumpier

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Take it to a good gunsmith near you , get the mag capacity positively identified , then get the mag modified if needed. Pay the cost of the work , be happy with your now-legal firearm , and dont be concerned about the cost reimbursement. A couple of hundred bucks for peace of mind is better than worrying because there isnt a list of approved gunsmiths yet - if there ever will be ...

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

IP Logged

oobuck
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Just did one today, was 12+1 capacity. $65 for custom alloy extended follower.He opted to reduce it to 8+1=185mm follower!

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
great knowledge and advice thanx. an issue shared is an issue halved.

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
A Winchester 92 carbine (20" barrel) in .44-40 only takes ten rounds in the mag. (A rifle will take more, I think 13 from memory.)

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
I took my Remington semi-auto 30-06 as a pump-action, and was told to take it home, no mention about how it came to be a pump-action, and I also handed in a bag of bits to convert it back to a semi., and the Officier gave the bits back to me.
Convert it yourself or get a good fitter, turner, engineer type bloke to do it for you, just make sure he knows about guns.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 11:33am
Print Post  
noelfj wrote on Sep 16th, 2019 at 8:53pm:
I took my Remington semi-auto 30-06 as a pump-action, and was told to take it home, no mention about how it came to be a pump-action, and I also handed in a bag of bits to convert it back to a semi., and the Officier gave the bits back to me.
Convert it yourself or get a good fitter, turner, engineer type bloke to do it for you, just make sure he knows about guns.

Sadly I don't think that protects you from future legal dramas.  It's also inconsistant with NZP's recent interperation of the law that AR lowers are illegal regardless of the caliber of the upper and that you can't convert a AR to a pump action.  The only way this stuff will ever be sorted out for sure is through court cases and case law.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
MassiveAttack wrote on Sep 17th, 2019 at 11:33am:
noelfj wrote on Sep 16th, 2019 at 8:53pm:

Sadly I don't think that protects you from future legal dramas.  It's also inconsistant with NZP's recent interperation of the law that AR lowers are illegal regardless of the caliber of the upper and that you can't convert a AR to a pump action.  The only way this stuff will ever be sorted out for sure is through court cases and case law.

Agreed.
I would say ignorance/lack of knowledge by the officialdom on the day given the cops still hadn't clearly ruled on pump conversions.
I presume you registered the firearm for "buy back" before attending? As such there should be a paper trial to hopefully maybe protect you should you get a tap on the shoulder one day whilst you are at the range.

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
muzza wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 6:25pm:
Take it to a good gunsmith near you , get the mag capacity positively identified , then get the mag modified if needed. Pay the cost of the work , be happy with your now-legal firearm , and dont be concerned about the cost reimbursement. A couple of hundred bucks for peace of mind is better than worrying because there isnt a list of approved gunsmiths yet - if there ever will be ...

Just to clarify,
You do not have to have work done by an "approved gunsmith" unless you wish to be reimbursed by the government for the modification work.
You can modify it yourself if you want.

According to the legislation, permanent modification means, unable to be changed back without replacement of parts or significant tooling.

You can modify a tube mag with a longer follower, or you can solder  or glue a plug into the magazine, or you can crimp it.
It is not a requirement that it be done by a gunsmith, or to be "certified" by anyone.

The approved gunsmiths are just the nominated ones that the government will deal with for reimbursement of your money.

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Reply #14 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
beaut thanx

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards