Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Plan C (Read 879 times)
Kaboomfa

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Plan C
Sep 10th, 2019 at 10:41am
Print Post  
I had spent the week looking at maps and planning a big tops loop only for the forecast to get worse and worse to the point where attempting it would've been foolish so after re examining the weather it looked like the coast was our only option. Far too far away for a weekend but Poppy and I are suckers for a stupid big weekend mission† Grin so Friday late afternoon we were off. It was almost dark by the time we reached Arthurs pass and passed an area I'd always been meaning to go for a look. With another 2 hours drive to go before a 5 hour walk to my intended area I decided bugger it lets maybe go for an explore up here instead. The weather forecast looked like we were just far west enough to miss the big southerly and the doc sign said 5 hours to the hut. I'm cautious about walking in an unfamiliar area in the dark but we had the necessary gear to camp out if needed so off we headed. The route wasn't too bad, mainly boulder hopping and a couple of tracks up and around gorges. Not long before midnight the hut was a welcome sight and thankfully empty. Reading the hut book showed it doesn't get much traffic, mostly trampers passing through and only the odd hunter. A few people had noted hearing kiwi and we were woken in the early hours by the loud calls of a bird, I can only assume it was a kiwi which was neat. I've never seen or heard one.

heading into the unknown

free image hosting

Waking to light coming through the windows we poked our heads outside to check out our surroundings and weren't disappointed with beautiful open tops as far as we could see. After getting ourselves organised off we headed up the valley, stopping every few 100 meters to stop and glass the mostly snow free north faces. We were obviously right on the edge of the weather, it was mostly sunny skies but the odd snow shower passing through. It wasn't until lunchtime that I picked up a couple of chamois walking across a patch of snow. They were lighter coloured and harder to spot than I was expecting, I usually hunt south westland chamois which seem to hold their black winter coats for longer. I guess they don't get as bleached by the sun as these chamois living exclusively in the open country. Now I had my eye in and began to locate a few more spread out over the face. The longer I looked the more that seemed to materialise, about a dozen in total. They were too far away to assess, I could see a few obvious nannys with kids following but also a couple hanging off the main herd by themselves that I suspect were bucks. I was happy just watching and had no real desire to go after them. I really need to get myself a spotting scope. After a couple of hours just watching them go about their business we were getting cold and cruised back to the hut gathering wood as we went as it was very slim pickings around the hut. We spent a good couple of hours gathering and cutting a good supply for us to get the little log burner roaring and enough good stuff for the next party too.

waking up to a view

free image hosting

up the valley we go

free image hosting

drinks break

free image hosting

chamois country

free image hosting

Id like to say I was up at 5am and charging up the valley for another half days hunting but the reality is it was one of those trips where I was happy just cruising and enjoying being out there rather than wrecking myself before another week of work. Maybe I'm getting old at the ripe old age of 31† Grin anyway, we had a couple of coffees and breakfast in bed and didn't get up properly till 9 before cleaning up and hitting the track arriving back at the truck by 3 and home in time to do a few chores and have an early night† Cool

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Re: Plan C
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 11:27am
Print Post  
cheers,,look forward to your posts

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 11:48am
Print Post  
sometimes you need to catch fish...other times you just need to "go fishing".
enjoyed the story,poppie wouldve loved the walk. nice country,one day I might explore it myself...5hr walk in might not be so good LOL.

IP Logged

Sika Stag
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Make the first shot count,
if not let rip.

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the story, looks like some nice county in there.
I to often think that why am I driving past spots I have always wanted to explore to go back to old stomping grounds. Maybe time for a change  Wink

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
264Magic wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 11:27am:
cheers,,look forward to your posts

Spring is almost here mate  Cool

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 11:48am:
sometimes you need to catch fish...other times you just need to "go fishing".
enjoyed the story,poppie wouldve loved the walk. nice country,one day I might explore it myself...5hr walk in might not be so good LOL.

Thatís right mate sometimes itís just therapy. Haha I donít bat an eyelid at 5 hours these days, although having a missus that is fitter than me pushes me further  Cheesy

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Sika Stag wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 4:11pm:
Thanks for the story, looks like some nice county in there.
I to often think that why am I driving past spots I have always wanted to explore to go back to old stomping grounds. Maybe time for a change† Wink

Yeah thatís my thinking too, Iím often guilty of driving past heaps of good hunting to go to the same old spots. It might mean I shoot more animals but I donít get much better as a hunter. Thereís something satisfying†about locating somewhere likely on a map, going for an explore and finding animals

IP Logged

Raptor
Donor Member

Falcons are Neat

Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
It would have been Great Spotted Kiwi there in Arthur's Pass, one of their few remaining strongholds thanks to community efforts -  if you want to know what they sound like check out this site - there are sound recordings on right hand side:
http://nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species/great-spotted-kiwi

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Raptor wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 7:16pm:
It would have been Great Spotted Kiwi there in Arthur's Pass, one of their few remaining strongholds thanks to community efforts -† if you want to know what they sound like check out this site - there are sound recordings on right hand side:

do they taste as good as the urewera ones(i take it they be brown kiwi)some pig dog caught one and it seemed a waste so why not

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Raptor
Donor Member

Falcons are Neat

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 11:41am
Print Post  
No idea  Smiley
Yes Brown kiwi in Urewera - you need to get dogs kiwi aversion trained before hunting where kiwi are.
Next to stoats, dogs are the main cause of decline of our kiwi.

IP Logged

Skinny 35
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Raptor wrote on Sep 10th, 2019 at 7:16pm:
It would have been Great Spotted Kiwi there in Arthur's Pass, one of their few remaining strongholds thanks to community efforts -† if you want to know what they sound like check out this site - there are sound recordings on right hand side:

Jeez, I reckon I've heard those calls when hunting on the West Coast? Unless something makes a similar sound? Will be listening closer when back home in future.

Don't forget where you came from!
Life....It's not a dress rehearsal!

IP Logged

Raptor
Donor Member

Falcons are Neat

Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
The Morepork has a call that is often mistaken for the kiwi - even by a known DOC worker Cool
Whereabouts on the Coast is home Skinny 35?

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
this was 45 yrs ago,,no kiwi aversion in them days,,besides there are heaps of wild dogs up there,,just thru simple negligence on part of their owners
actually first day on forest service payroll in the ureweras we shot two dogs just to put them out of their misery,starving as hell

IP Logged

Skinny 35
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Raptor wrote on Sep 12th, 2019 at 3:01pm:
The Morepork has a call that is often mistaken for the kiwi - even by a known DOC worker Cool
Whereabouts on the Coast is home Skinny 35?

Reefton, hunted Nelson Lakes to Haast but. Also Fiordland. Limited time for the last 10yrs but.

Don't forget where you came from!
Life....It's not a dress rehearsal!

IP Logged

Raptor
Donor Member

Falcons are Neat

Reply #14 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
264Magic
45 yrs is a good time ago, and it was good times then too.
Yes dogs have a hard time surviving if lost, not much food out there that they can catch.
Skinny 35
Reefton had and still does (we think) have a few Great spotted kiwi, they have just re-introduced GSK to Nelson Lakes and they have started breeding.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards