Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic "Best" hunting ammo for a Howa 1500 .308? (Read 790 times)
Tightlines
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

"Best" hunting ammo for a Howa 1500 .308?
Sep 5th, 2019 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Hi. New to the forum so apologies if this has been covered before. I have just purchased a new Howa 1500 .308 for mainly deer hunting. The store advised me to try a range of ammo brands to see which one works the best for the rifle. I figure someone else here who is a much better shot than me has already figured this out.  Or is every rifle different? At this stage I don't see myself trying to shoot anything beyond 200m. Would appreciate any thoughts.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: "Best" hunting ammo for a Howa 1500 .308?
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Winchester 180grn power points will take care of all the short range stuff,awesome bush range load that wont boot you around. sub 200mtrs you arent needing to get all flashasmichaeljackson.....pretty much pick a box that looks ok and go try it.federal blue box stuff has good reputation for accuracy and kills well too.

IP Logged

Sika 9
Donor Member

Onwards and upwards

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Well Ive just changed to a rem model 7 in 308 for a bush gun, not planning on reloading for this one and have tried the superformance rounds first, grouping ok and getting 2850fps through a 20" barrel. Im just wanting to know if anyone has experience on how the 150gn sst projectile performs on deer at bush ranges in this caliber? I do hunt in thick bush and sometimes have to shoot through stuff.

Every hunt is successful, pulling the trigger is a bonus;)

IP Logged

pingu2
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 5:16am
Print Post  
My one loves federal 150s. 18 " barrel.
the best pill i have run through it was a nosler 150 BT and 44.5gr of 2208.

About 10 years ago , I got hardy to slap a can on it , then i put a cheap redfield hold over scope on it and a mate and I took it up the farm and tested it.
started at 100m and over the course of 6 goats after that , stretched its legs out to 540m , no bullshit. confirmed kills too.
i was curious to see what the shorter barrel could do and it bloody shot well to say the least.

IP Logged

possum_shooter
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 7:15am
Print Post  
Yep generally every rifle is different, buy a few boxes or better still ask on here if any locals can give/sell you 5 or 6 rounds to see how it groups.  Some will group better than others.

IP Logged

Tightlines
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 7:38am
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies. I have boxs of Federal & Winchester so will start with those. I also found a great stream on this forum re shooting tips to sight in the rifle, so that will help a lot to reduce the variability of the shooter I hope.

IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Once you sight your gun in say if you use 150gr dont change to different weight ranges and expect it to shoot the same different brands ok but stick to the same weight.I only use 150gr remington core-lokt Wink

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Sika 9 wrote on Sep 5th, 2019 at 6:59pm:
Well Ive just changed to a rem model 7 in 308 for a bush gun, not planning on reloading for this one and have tried the superformance rounds first, grouping ok and getting 2850fps through a 20" barrel. Im just wanting to know if anyone has experience on how the 150gn sst projectile performs on deer at bush ranges in this caliber? I do hunt in thick bush and sometimes have to shoot through stuff.

The SSTs 150gn are a good ammo at any range,but close range (50yds) will go thru fallow and small reds,might be better with some soft point white tail ammo.Couple of years ago I shot a fallow buck at 260yds,165gn sst went clean thru him and he carried on thu the matargari and I found him 2 months later,bullet holes on both sides of him,in and out. Angry

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

thebomb
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
The Belmont ammo is hard to beat price wise and they use interlock or sst projectiles,check the  website out.

IP Logged

thebomb
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Good brass if you decide on reloading as well.

IP Logged

Prtnd Huntr

Reply #10 - Sep 18th, 2019 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
You could also look at Barnaul rounds.  Now there will be some out there that rubbish this thought BUT at least give one box a go.  I have a Weatherby 308 and normally reload my own rounds for it but since trying Barnaul for anything sub 200 as you stated then these rounds could be worth a look at.
For $20-25 depends on where you by them from then its a small price to pay to give these rounds ago.  As for accuracy I put a head shot on a goat last year at about 80 meters so cant argue with that.
I have found they work good in my rifle but you have nothing to lose trying them.

Just my 2 cents worth, hope this helps. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards