Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fogging up (Read 3558 times)
Steelshooter
Just Joined

If there's no photos,
then it didn't happen.

Fogging up
Sep 2nd, 2019 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Hi all,
This might be a stupid question but how do you stop your scope from fogging up on a cool dewy morning?
The last few times that I've camped and gone for an early morning hunt, the scope lens has fogged up and I can't see anything.
Both the Ziess and Nightforce were the same, so I don't think it's a quality issue..?

It's what you learn AFTER you've been taught everything that makes you a marksman.

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Fogging up
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Not a stupid question, cause I would like to know if anyone has any good tricks.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 10:00pm
Print Post  

I've had East German Zeiss, Hertel & Reuss - shit, quite a few scopes that fogged up. I believe the Germans sealed their early scopes with a type of grease and when it got old, it congealed and cracked letting in air and moisture.
Your scopes sound moderately modern and probably worth getting refurbished, but I never bothered - if it leaked, I turfed it.
If you're stuck with a fogging scope out in the bush, don't take it into the warmth of a hut or cuddle it under your armpit - it's the change in temperature that causes it to fog - leave it out in the cold.
And if that doesn't help, throw it in your pack and hunt with your 'iron sights' - if your gun has got them.

And, if your gun doesn't have them - throw it away and get one that does because scopes shit themselves by being dropped, banged, thumped and some have been known to go crook by just being looked at.
Imagine that happening on Stewart Island - half a years pay in getting yourself there and your scope's taken a thump and got damaged and because your gun's got no 'irons' you're stuffed.

Stupid modern guns - get a f**kin  Snider and be done with it.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Depends if you mean the outside of the lenses are fogging up or the inside. If inside it's bung and sprung a leak and will need to be repaired. outside, well apparently you can't use rainx or the antifog stuff as it stuffs the coating on the lens.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 1:14pm
Print Post  

If your scope internals are fogged, it is moisture inside your scope doing that. If you leave it long enough bacterial action will eat away at the internal lens coatings and you will see that as a 'speckling' when looking through it.
My brother in law has a Kahles that did just that, so he sent it back to the factory where it was repaired at no cost to him - just postage.

For external water, rain etc, I just carried toilet paper in my breast pocket and gave the outer lens a wipe when I needed to. Toilet paper does scratch the outer coating on the lens - and I just looked at my old 3X Leupold that sat on my gun for forty years. Those lens must have been wiped with toilet paper a million times and while I can see faint scratching - they still look pretty good to me - and the scope is still clear  Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
My experiences from shooting nights in frosts for quite a few years. I struggled to find a good solution for years but rely there is not an ideal solution except to shoot out of a warm vehicle or have a heater warming your scope in some way.

Out in the open where the scope is going to take on the surrounding ambient temperature any moisture in is going to condense on the scope lens.

The worst source of warm damp air (moisture laden) is your own breath, so keep you binos next to your chest (warm)  and dont sight though the scope until the last moment being careful not to exhale as you aim and shoot.  Grin easier said than done

I couple of tricks helped for short periods.  A warm lens will not fog untill it gets cold.

Use a sunshade on the fore end which can help keeping your breath off the front lens and also cushions the amount of cold air draft over the front end too.

Do similar with a 5cm long piece of bicycle tube on the back end.

Try buying some small cosmetic or first aid heat pads to the rear end of the scope to keep the whole bit above zero.  Bit of black electrical tape will do the trick short term..

Other wise as other have said for a short moment a cloth is helpful but a pain in the butt and often not great for lens coating.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Steelshooter
Just Joined

If there's no photos,
then it didn't happen.

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies.
I'm sure that the fogging is on the outside only. It has been when I've been walking with the rifle slung over my shoulder and then stopped to take aim or look around. So perhaps the temperature is coming from body heat?
Or maybe I should be leaving the rifle outside and uncovered overnight to keep it the same as the ambient temperature?
I don't think the lenses are getting breathed on.

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2019 at 2:50pm by headcase »  

It's what you learn AFTER you've been taught everything that makes you a marksman.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
oh, good news it is on the outside then Smiley

Like HC I've had the old fog up the scope with ya breath buzz before.

It might be a bit of dew landing on the lens while it's pointed up on your shoulder ?
Maybe try a pop up lens cover or carry pointed down and shelter the scope a bit. Pretty dependent on weather conditions of course

IP Logged

Dairyispoison
Banned

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Yep, wipe and move on, but with a soft lens cloth, not toilet paper or your cuff.  It happens to every scope in the right circumstances and is not quality related.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
when you stop,check scope is on lowest power setting and is clear...the soft cloths they give out at servise station for car windows are great,keep it in a ziplock bag in top pocket. I will check and whipe my scope every 15-20 minutes on a cold and or wet day. Ive arsed up,got up,cleaned scope,took 3 steps forward and shot a deer....if I hadnt cleaned scope it wouldve been like looking through a goldfish bowl....tried that too and its not very sucessful Angry

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #10 - Sep 18th, 2019 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
'''Thanks for the replies.
I'm sure that the fogging is on the outside only. It has been when I've been walking with the rifle slung over my shoulder and then stopped to take aim or look around. So perhaps the temperature is coming from body heat?
Or maybe I should be leaving the rifle outside and uncovered overnight to keep it the same as the ambient temperature?
I don't think the lenses are getting breathed on.'''''

What happens is that even cold air , even at zero, carries a bit of moisture in the form of minciscule water droplets or just as liquid water molecules,, and warm air carries even more..

Around zero some other stuff like wind chill and rime ice come into play but..

any water at all in the air will condense, or even freeze, on a cold lens/surface. So keeping your lens cool will increase risk of condensation and keeping the lens warm will reduce the risk of condensation.

Your warm breath contains a huge amont of water, and the clothes you wear and the air moving over and off the surface of them also contain large amount of moisture, so if the rifle is slung over your shoulder its likly that large amounts of your breath and warmer moist air from you and your cloths are blowing over the scope as you move forwards... ''into the wind'' .

The optic cloth and lens caps  sound like a good idea.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2019 at 9:24pm by headcase »  

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards