Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Weekend goose hunt at Kawhia (Read 2601 times)
Vault

Re: Weekend goose hunt at Kawhia
Reply #15 - Sep 5th, 2019 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
excellent photos, my favorite meal in the South Island was roasted Canadian Goose.

Interested in this new image hosting website, years ago I had an unlimited Photobucket account but suddenly it was full and money was required so I just walked away.

I do not consent to be governed.

IP Logged

Shankspony

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #16 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 6:28am
Print Post  
Tis is it here. So fare found it far easier to use than Photobucket ever was. And have not found a catch....

https://postimages.org

IP Logged

CIB

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #17 - Sep 6th, 2019 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Its worth noting that they are not defined as a pest in legislation, they just have unprotected status. One of the most shortsighted things we can do as hunters is start using pest control as a justification for hunting of species we value, as all it does is devalue them in the eyes of others.

IP Logged

Shankspony

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #18 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 6:42am
Print Post  
Went out again last night.

My goal with this new spot, because its close, is to find a way to hunt it where I can finish work a bit early, jump in the car and be hunting all set up within an hour.
Because its so close to the roost Im not ever expecting big tallies, so don't want to have to spend lots of time preparing and setting up.

I had been wracking my brain on how to build a quick effective hide that didn't need grassing, and a few days back as I drive around the farm I saw a silver fern punga frond on the grass.... same colour.

So a mate and I, armed with 8 shell decoys, 50 rnds of ammo, 6 large fern fronds, and my under over... because I sold my semi to buy my partners daughter a rifle.....  (anyone got a cheap Beretta or benelli they want to part with?), We were ready to hunt.
We set out from home at 3 and were set up ready to hunt an hour later on the edge of a large pond just off the harbours edge with a heap of fresh goose sign around it. Each of us laying under 3 fronds each.
An hour and a half later and we had close to 15 geese on the deck before they realised there was trouble and shifted their plans to another paddock.
Home by 730 all cleaned up and gear put away.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #19 - Sep 12th, 2019 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
nice...never thought of fern fronds before... saw good setup last opening weekend,guys had got some light reo mesh and made basic rectangle shape then put angled top on it...sat inside and flicks open when needed...cheap version of a layout blind...no reason you couldnt leave it close by and take your fronds to camo it up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards