Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic blog about the buy back results so far. (Read 618 times)
Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

blog about the buy back results so far.
Aug 27th, 2019 at 9:26pm
Print Post  

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
Book. Born to The Outdoors http://www.alan-simmons.com/book
IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Re: blog about the buy back results so far.
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 11:05pm
Print Post  

Need to 'up the ante' Alan - no one's listening.

Words are good, they have their place - but when no one's listening you gotta attract their attention some other way.

Maybe a petition ............. maybe something else - because they ain't f**kin listening.

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2019 at 8:07am
Print Post  
Could it be, that of the 250,000 firearms owners, 217,000 have no firearms to, or should, hand in.
Most of the discussions here seem to be those conncerned with a very few shots taken on a shooting occasion and thus have no intrest in the MSSA type, nor do they like them or wish to own them as shooters.
My involvement with guns includes semi-auto firearms as they are more intresting and a little bit more for-filling than just plain old bolt actions.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2019 at 9:45am
Print Post  

It's funny you say that, I was thinking the same thing. I don't have, nor have I ever had any of those MSSA type guns - they just didn't interest me.
But I did see them all the time down the range - and right up until all this 'blew up' - I thought you had to have a different category license to own one.
But yeah - I did wonder if there were as many around as was suggested.

IP Logged

imaca
Forum Senior

The hills seem higher
than they used to

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2019 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Aug 28th, 2019 at 9:45am:
But yeah - I did wonder if there were as many around as was suggested.

Ohh I think there are.  Every single firearm imported into NZ needed a permit, so 'they' must at least have a rough idea of the volumes out there.
It shouldn't be too hard to subtract permits from confiscated and shop stock to get a number.  It won't be 100% accurate but good enough for government work

It's better to have loved and lost than to have paid for it and not liked it

IP Logged

jakkos
Forum Senior

There is one stop after
the trigger is pulled

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2019 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
but it has been possible to build one out of parts imported. I have done it a couple of times. Not M,S,S.A firearms but still an operating weapon all the same. You cant figure that into possible firearm numbers in NZ. Huh

be good...And careful

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2019 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Couple of points Alan.
Of the 250,000 gun owners, how many are farmers or hunters like myself that have no interest in owning a semi auto? Iíd estimate at least 150,000 of them.
And as if Labour cares about the votes of gun owners. They donít even care about the votes of ordinary working folk any more. All they care about is union pay rates, minority groups and of course saving the world.

IP Logged

imaca
Forum Senior

The hills seem higher
than they used to

Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2019 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Maddoghunter wrote on Aug 28th, 2019 at 11:38pm:
Couple of points Alan.
Of the 250,000 gun owners, how many are farmers or hunters like myself that have no interest in owning a semi auto? Iíd estimate at least 150,000 of them.
And as if Labour cares about the votes of gun owners. They donít even care about the votes of ordinary working folk any more. All they care about is union pay rates, minority groups and of course saving the world.

Remember, it's not just semis Madddog, if you own a firearm that has a mag capability of more than ten rounds, it is now illegal regardless of the action.
Whether this was deliberate or an unintended consequence of the rushed legislation I don't know. 
I am appalled by the complete lack of due process that the government followed and will continue to follow with further rounds of changes.  If you think that farmers and hunters are not going to be impacted then you are sorely mistaken.

It's better to have loved and lost than to have paid for it and not liked it

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2019 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
imaca wrote on Aug 30th, 2019 at 12:33pm:
Maddoghunter wrote on Aug 28th, 2019 at 11:38pm:
Couple of points Alan.

Remember, it's not just semis Madddog, if you own a firearm that has a mag capability of more than ten rounds, it is now illegal regardless of the action.
Whether this was deliberate or an unintended consequence of the rushed legislation I don't know.†
I am appalled by the complete lack of due process that the government followed and will continue to follow with further rounds of changes.† If you think that farmers and hunters are not going to be impacted then you are sorely mistaken.

I forgot that when I wrote that sorry.
Still though, the average cocky or bushman that has no semi automatics probably wouldnít even bother taking it further and checking magazine capacity.
And it wouldnít surprise me if a lot of blokes the own hunting semi autos just hear that mssaís are now banned, and donít give it any more thought.

Itís becoming pretty obvious that the whole thing is going to fall on its face and the incoming National govt will have to clean up the mess, either by extending the amnesty or by allowing sporting exemptions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards