Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic bow hunting deer (Read 3021 times)
tararuahunta
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

bow hunting deer
Aug 17th, 2019 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
curious how many of you have shot a deer with a bow? how often? photos would be nice too

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Re: bow hunting deer
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
I've shot a few deer, and other animals, with my bow.† Not very often, maybe one or two a year.

Are you taking up bow hunting?

IP Logged

tararuahunta
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
yea mate guna take it up already a pig hunter just curious what other people success is like u hunt deer on doc or private ? how often u get out cb14 wrote on Aug 18th, 2019 at 8:32pm:
I've shot a few deer, and other animals, with my bow.† Not very often, maybe one or two a year.

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Iíve been using a bow for about 4 years and still havenít got a deer, although, if Iíd taken my bow and not my rifle I probably would have a couple of deer and at least 1 pig - got heaps of goats though theyíre actually quite easy once you understand. My last Fallow hunt would have been suitable for my bow, 3 animals all under 30 meters. Itís definitely achievable. Just hasnít come to fruition. Itís still a lot of fun.....👍

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2019 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
tararuahunta wrote on Aug 18th, 2019 at 9:30pm:
yea mate guna take it up already a pig hunter just curious what other people success is like u hunt deer on doc or private ? how often u get out cb14 wrote on Aug 18th, 2019 at 8:32pm:

Good stuff.  Bow hunting is awesome.  I hunt 50 days a year on public land, but maybe 10 days I'll take the bow.  This was my favorite bow hunt Smiley - http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1442933228

IP Logged

Shankspony

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Photo bucket is an extortionist arsehole and I cant link a photo any more, but maybe I can link my album? not sure and lots of non bowhunting stuff in there, but quite a few critters shot with bow if you want to have a look.

lets see if it works.

https://s285.photobucket.com/user/shankspony_photos/library?page=1

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2019 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
actually killing a deer isnt always an indicator of a successful hunt, finding missing or even gaining the skills with a bow to be able to hit where you want are achievements alone. 3 days ago i missed a rusa deer with my recurve, that will remain in my mind not for the miss which was completely due to skipping some steps i have to make to hit where i intend, which are mistakes i have to expect to make as i go on my journey with traditional gear. but what i am thrilled about and will remember is getting to inside 10 steps of a rusa deer in an unfamiliar area and even getting an arrow away, i am happy it was a complete miss though, i had trouble tracking where it went after the shot so had i winged it i would probably have lost it, which is a less than ideal outcome.  1 reason i took up hunting with bow was so i didnt have to kill so often, i didnt need all the meat when i only hunted with a rifle and less and less skill was involved in regards to long range sniping animals,

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards