Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Waihaha hut (Read 765 times)
kurupt
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Waihaha hut
Aug 14th, 2019 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Any tips on hunting around this area?

Cheers

IP Logged

warrior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Waihaha hut
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Yep been there heaps  but how about   giving some reports  on your past hunts  that  you have done i see you ask  about where to go  but no reports back  illl give some info   but     not yet

IP Logged

kurupt
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
I don't have much to tell. Apart from a couple fallow hunts on private farms I have little experience to share nor do I know people who hunt. I'm yet to shoot a deer in public land nor do I really know how to find them. I'm new to hunting and am trying to learn. I'm not asking for your spots just some tips so maybe one day I'll get good enough to pass my knowledge down to the next generation in my family.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
fair enough,maybe someone MIGHT send you info via PM but not something often done out on open forum....its not because people dont want to help out,it because some folk troll forums specifically to gain knowledge of an area without doing any work and then go and thrash or trash it..
best bet is to study a map.work out what will be warm and have feed,then go and either hunt it or sit and watch it ,8-10x binos and a hunk of closed cell foam mat to stop your bum freezing will help no end.
good luck.

IP Logged

Pighunter Al
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2019 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
I used to pig hunt there a few years back, there used to be a few deer around , I would suggest when you get to the big clearings about halfway to the hut go to the right and hunt around that area, spring growth will be coming soon. Just be careful where you leave your car if going overnight

IP Logged

Backcountry Bob
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2019 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
The Mangatu Stream can be a good spot in the spring. You can walk over from the hut and walk down the stream to the junction of the main river. Some good clearings along the section of river above the waterfall.

IP Logged

Lauries Hut
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2019 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
kurupt wrote on Aug 14th, 2019 at 7:44pm:
I don't have much to tell. Apart from a couple fallow hunts on private farms I have little experience to share nor do I know people who hunt. I'm yet to shoot a deer in public land nor do I really know how to find them. I'm new to hunting and am trying to learn. I'm not asking for your spots just some tips so maybe one day I'll get good enough to pass my knowledge down to the next generation in my family.

I havenít hunted that area, but done plenty of miles in various areas of Pureora. Iíd be inclined to not hope for too much over the next couple of months. Use the time to explore, find areas clearings, slips river flats with grass. Start hitting it hard around late Nov - December. The young ones will have been kicked out of home and wont have the wise ofd mother looking out for them, spring growth will attract the deer to the areas with grass. Stags find it hard to resist from Nov on. Use Google earth to help find likely areas. If you do find a good spot with grass and good sign on it. Make sure you have the wind right, if hunting the morning, be there well before first light sitting still as the light comes on. Opposite for evenings, stay until it is too dark to see, keep concealed and or very still.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards