Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tikka T3X Barrell Pitting (Stainless) (Read 1604 times)
Flintlock
Donor Member

Re: Tikka T3X Barrell Pitting (Stainless)
Reply #15 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
It wont be the manufacturers fault , if it was there would be lots out there and Tikka would know about and fix the problem .
These days moving a firearm around the country can be problematic, the Tikka agents don't keep barrels in NZ and it would have to go back to the manufacturer to be re barreled , with all the shipping problems and paperwork it would take months if not years .

If the pitting is on the outside of the barrel it can be rubbed back with  3M synthetic sander stuff from Mitre etc , use the 0000 equivalent and a light oil like CRC etc then re matt it with a course pad , well that is what I would do but it is up to you ,

if it is in the bore, clean it with JB paste or some such then shoot it then clean it again and lube it with EEZOX

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Bagheera
Forum Senior

Reply #16 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
If it is the bore then JB paste will likely fix it. 

Then clean it and store with a protective oil in the bore.  Run patches through to dry it out ready for shooting before you put it away.  A fine film will remain and is OK to shoot over yet prevent rust.  Almost any oil will be OK but not CRC 5.56 or WD40, which are very fine, low viscosity and will part, exposing bare metal after a few weeks.  Hoppes #9 has as way of going tacky and gummy after a month or two storage so I wouldn't use that either.  Boretech eliminator seems to be pretty watery rather than an oil and I wouldn't leave that in either.  All oil brands have a lube and storage product.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Donor Member

Reply #17 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 8:32am
Print Post  
There ya go, choose your appropriate snake oil...
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #18 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 10:21am
Print Post  
6.5x55bjai wrote on Aug 22nd, 2019 at 8:32am:
There ya go, choose your appropriate snake oil...
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Cheers mate, had seen that before - but well worth looking at again.

IP Logged

Dairyispoison
Banned

Reply #19 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Bagheera wrote on Aug 21st, 2019 at 10:06pm:
If it is the bore then JB paste will likely fix it. 

Then clean it and store with a protective oil in the bore.  Run patches through to dry it out ready for shooting before you put it away.  A fine film will remain and is OK to shoot over yet prevent rust.  Almost any oil will be OK but not CRC 5.56 or WD40, which are very fine, low viscosity and will part, exposing bare metal after a few weeks.  Hoppes #9 has as way of going tacky and gummy after a month or two storage so I wouldn't use that either.  Boretech eliminator seems to be pretty watery rather than an oil and I wouldn't leave that in either.  All oil brands have a lube and storage product.

Which is where CRC 5-56 Marine grade comes in to it. It has an altered viscosity that makes it stick like an unwelcome snot.

IP Logged

Bagheera
Forum Senior

Reply #20 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that suggestion AshFishMan.
What would the marine grade be like for lubrication ?  I'm looking for something to go on an older style blued action that's not as smooth as the T3 and has a slight tendency to rust.  At present I'm using Ballistol which seems quite good - but the smell !

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Donor Member

Reply #21 - Aug 23rd, 2019 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Ballistol rates quite low despite everyone normally raving about it invented by Germans in WWI etc etc blah blah. I think one of the features of Ballistol though could be it is "safe" to get it on stocks and slings.

I have used CRC Longlife (no experience with their Marine product) and found it effective for protection. Don't have any experience with it for lubrication.

Years ago I lived out of the country for a decade. I stripped all my rifles down and coated them with chainsaw chain oil, stored them horizontal. I wouldn't recommend chain oil though for general use though!

EEZOX as already suggested by Flintlock, is effective, once you have got used to how fluid it is and how it appears to evaporate to no real visible sign.

I have even heard of hunters hunting in extremely bad climes coating the rifles' metalwork with a very thin coat of Vaseline.

I am presently giving FrogLube a go but myself I would hardly rate now as a good test person as I not longer get out to hunt large animals in extreme conditions. Obviously though, you don't need to get out into the extremes if you are storing in a damp environment at home.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards