Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bullet jump for load development (Read 1047 times)
ted6.5
Donor Member

Bullet jump for load development
Aug 9th, 2019 at 7:02am
Print Post  
Hi All

I am about to start testing projectiles for a 280AI (Sierra Tgk 165, Eld-x 162, Berger VLD 168) and have measured case length to land by neck sizing a case enough to grip the projectile but allow it to move when chambered. Did lots of test per projectile to get an average.

My reading on the www indicates that this average in fact represents 20 thou into the lands. I understand that he type of projectiles I am using prefer a jump. So I am considering pulling them back 40 thou which should give a jump of aprox 20 thou. Does this sound about right?

My aim is to settle on a reliably accurate load for hunting to ranges of 500m.

Cheers

Ted

Simon's situation was grave so he used gravy

IP Logged

ChrisHB
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Bullet jump for load development
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 7:13am
Print Post  
It largely depends on the bullet profile. VLDs on -average- seem to like jam or at least minimal jump but only your load/rifle combo will confirm that. I personally would be starting short and working back only if needed.

The other issue is the risk of leaving a jammed projectile behind when unloading a live chambered round. Last thing you need while hunting..

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Depends on rifle, projectile and load.
For my 223 loads I have jumps from 0.050 to 0.125 and everything in between. For the 6.5CM with the 143gr ELD-X I have a 0.054 jump.
Don't see the point of jamming a bullet into the lands for a hunting rifle for reason mentioned by ChrisHB.

Personally I would start with a jump of 0.050 and find a good load first. After that you can play with seating depth to fine tune things.

Another thing to consider is how long can you load so bullets will still fit your magazine?

IP Logged

10-Ring
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2019 at 9:45am
Print Post  
If your bullet is .020 into the lands using the method you're using to determine base to ogive length then it's more than likely you've sized the neck portion too much. Every rifle is different and some rifle lands will grip the bullet more than another rifle and pull out the bullet out slightly when extracting the test case. I've never found that method to work very well. A split in the neck works better I.M.O.

The best system I've found is the Hornady Lock-N-Load® O.A.L. Gauge using a modified case fired in your rifle. It's a hassle to make the modified case to fit the gauge though. Still the generic cases you can buy for the gauge work reasonable well depending on the headspace of your rifle.

There are also other methods that you can use.

You could try this method which is similar to what you're using.

https://www.rodandrifle.co.nz/bullet-seating-depth.html

‘the price of freedom is eternal vigilance’

IP Logged

ted6.5
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2019 at 7:03am
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies guys.

Simon's situation was grave so he used gravy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards