Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 85 sako finnlight tacky stock (Read 710 times)
Sika Stalker
Just Joined

Cover me....I'm going
in.

85 sako finnlight tacky stock
Aug 4th, 2019 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Anyone else had problems with the synthetic stock on a Sako 85 Finnlight going tacky. Its almost like the coating is degrading and all sorts of crap sticks to the stock, especially if it is dry and dusty. its only a 2016 rifle and has not be heavily used at all. I asked Beretta about it at the Sika Show and all they said was "Ill sell you a carbonlight"

IP Logged

bowmad

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: 85 sako finnlight tacky stock
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
2016 I would suggest consumer guaranties act would cover it.  Also email sako direct, I had a problem with a local agent and after talking to manufacturer they sent agent an email and told me he would contact me in the next 48hrs. Don't know what they said but he suddenly was most obliging.  Sako would be the same I would hope.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Super tacky??

Roll it in sawdust. Voilla! Instant camo job Grin

IP Logged

spearo
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Yep you are not alone with that problem..

I purchased one of the first synthetic stocked sako 85,s maybe 2009??. Mine started getting tacky after 3-4 yrs of use.. I thought it was just a build up of dirt and my sweat on it. Washed it in water with dishwashing detergent,, to no avail. Over the years its got progressively worse, moss sticks to it as do beech leaves, seed heads from tussock, old mans beard, cat hair etc. yeah instant camo.

Beretta in NZ whom Ive contacted about it on 2 occasions want nothing to do with it. Apparently according to them, deet on your hands is enough to make your stock go sticky. Well Ive never used deet ever and my whole stock is sticky all over, not just where my hands grasp it....

They didnt even want to look at my stock.....

Its a bit like the sako 85 ejection system some folks have problems with that and once again beretta doesnt seem to be particularly helpful and generally deny theres a fault. Dont personaly think there ejection system is particlarly compatible with alot of modern scopes with proud windage turrets..

I did a bit of digging on the net about sticky soft touch stocksfew yrs back.  Seem to recall browning came out with soft touch stock around same time/ or before sako and they also had the sticky stock problem. Have a suspicion browning may have replaced the stocks of those folks effected.

Beretta nz was replacing some sako syn stocks where the coating was actually peeling off.

Dont get me wrong Im not a sako hater, have owned a heap of them over the years....

If it pisses you off, ken Henderson of Hi tech stocks nz is making a carbon fiber replacement stock for the sako 85 action. His stock is a replica of your current stock. Beautifully made an finished, definietly superior to the original stock.. Smiley

IP Logged

johnv308

Sika - The cunning buggers

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 7:57am
Print Post  
Seems to be a common problem.

I've got a mate who as a Sako 85 and it does the same thing ....

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Beretta NZ have the worse customer service ever and thats saying a lopt given the standard in NZ.  They don't give a shit and if you had one they would take it off you.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. †Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
MassiveAttack wrote on Aug 5th, 2019 at 12:41pm:
Beretta NZ have the worse customer service ever and thats saying a lopt given the standard in NZ.† They don't give a shit and if you had one they would take it off you.

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Sika Stalker
Just Joined

Cover me....I'm going
in.

Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2019 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Iíve spoken to gun city who are going to send it back to beretta....not holding my breath but letís see what happens. When you pay over $5k for gun and scope youíre expect something a bit more durable (it only gets out a few times a year). Going to a second stock is my next option but shouldnít have to. I asked beretta at the last Sika show and they just said donít know but we will sell you a carbonlight.

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2019 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
100% Isopropyl Alcohol or baking soda paste.
Not what I would accept from a expensive rifle / stock but better then taking ongoing samples of your hunting surroundings  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bagheera
Forum Senior

Reply #9 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 12:12am
Print Post  
I've had no problem with mine.
It's an 85 SS in standard weight, not Finnlight.
The rubbery inserts have worn smooth but still give good grip.

IP Logged

spearo
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Going by the pics Ive seen of yours bagheera, its the 85 model that was breifly released before the soft touch version appeared on the market....

IP Logged

Bagheera
Forum Senior

Reply #11 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
It is.
It's got a pseudo cheekpiece which is detachable.  This model has a few drawbacks but is nice to hold and been stable over the years.

I did wonder what the soft touch stocks would be like - thought it might wear off but it sounds as if too much grip might have been more of a problem !  Sako aren't afraid to innovate.  Hopefully they've sorted it now. 

It would be great if Sako were to offer newer model stocks as aftermarket products.  I'd buy a carbonlite stock if they'd sell it separately.  The action seems very durable and I haven't been able to wear out the barrel either.

IP Logged

spearo
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Bagheera if you havent already check out ken hendersons hi-tech stocks.  He does a model specifically for sako 85... If you wanted to upgrade your stock, his would be the way to go locally.
Have one of his stocks and hey Im a real fussy prick. I cant fault it. Beautifully made..

IP Logged

Rendogg22

Reply #13 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Yep , had an issue with the soft touch rubber peeling off . After years and a lot of money spent at gun city , they came back and said beretta deem it to be user error , deet , sunscreen or a similar product thatís done it . Gun city basically said tough luck nothing they can do . I will never buy another sako nor will I spend another cent at gun city . Sold the gun and spent 6k on another at H&F..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards