Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic hairy times chasing hairy bulls (Read 1690 times)
Kaboomfa

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

hairy times chasing hairy bulls
Jul 30th, 2019 at 10:40am
Print Post  
This past weekend the Malvern game hunters club comp was held. I've entered it for about the past 6 or 7 years now, just as an excuse to get out for a hunt and the weigh in is always a good day. This year I had Poppy with me and she couldn't get away until 7pm Friday so a day was all we had and I was eager to make every minute count.

Leaving chch we arrived at the road end just on midnight, in the same area I wrote a trip report about almost to the day a year ago when I came agonizingly close to recovering a bull. A restless 3 hours shut eye was had before we got our gear together and left the truck at 4am. We were feeling pretty rough and had to rest more than usual on the way up the creek but eventually came to the face I've seen animals on the past. It was still too dark to see so we pulled out the jetboil for a coffee and some breakfast.

As it became light enough to glass I began to scan the hillside and was almost caught off guard when I locked eyes on a nice bull further down the hill than I was expecting. A quick range had him at 650m and me scrambling the gear together to try and cut the range but unfortunately he was already on his way back up the hill and by the time I got to where I could have shot him from he was 700m away. There was no rush now so we resumed breakfast and had a quick nap in the tussock before deciding to bash through the scrub to a position where we could hopefully ambush them as they came down later this arvo.

The scrub bash from hell! spot the beagle!

A couple of very frustrating hours later I hauled myself up onto a rock where I had a good view of the tussock faces and bluffs above. The wind was now blowing directly up and I wasn't surprised when I started hearing whistling and spotted a mob of tahr staring at me from high above. The range finder said 441m which I normally wouldn't consider but I've been putting in a fair amount of time in at the range lately and had the .270 shooting well under an inch at 100m. There was a good looking middle age bull amongst the nannies and younger bulls that I was confident would go at least 12 inch and with a perfect rest I set up for the shot and squeezed one off. Tahr ran in all directions and in the confusion we lost sight of the bull before Poppy said she could see one standing lower down the hill. Eventually I found it in my scope and could see it was an obviously hit bull and before I could fire again he toppled over out of sight. I was confident he'd fallen down this way just over the next ridge and thought this was finally the day I'd get a decent winter bull.

Sidling up and over we eventually got on the ridge he was last seen and headed up as it got steeper and steeper. Poppy had bought some crampons which she put on and powered up a snow chute that would take her right where he was last seen. I tried to follow and realized I was quickly getting out of my depth and tapped out. I had warned her previously that having more gear can give you a false sense of security and get you in more trouble than without out it which is exactly how it played out. She called out that she could see blood but it lead around the hill and out of sight. I told her to forget it and come back down which was when she realised she'd got herself into a dangerous situation and had to take a few minutes to settle her nerves before I talked her down step by step. I felt bad that i'd let her get into that situation but I guess its something we all learn at some point.

Steeper than it looks - coming slowly back down one step at a time

Blood on the snow, yep we got close. I believe he got back to his feet and moved further around the hill. Gut wrenching

Once down back to safety I tried to sidle around further to check a different angle but ran into steer rock and it begun to sunk in I'd lost yet another bull. Its a shit feeling wasting such a beautiful animal and that's the 5th time its happened now so perhaps its about time I really think twice about whether I can get up there before pulling the trigger! Back down the hill we went arriving back at the truck at 7.30. I'd turned tracking on my gps when we left which showed 15kms travelled and 1100m altitude gain over 14.5 hours.

There was only one bull weighed in for the comp so we would've done quite well but we both came 2nd in the pig carrying comp so we didn't go home empty handed† Grin

unforgiving country

lunchtime

The queen of the mountain† Grin

IP Logged

Shankspony

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: hairy times chasing hairy bulls
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Always enjoy reading your family adventures.

Also know the frustration of loosing a bull. Its a bummer.

IP Logged

Lou Nunn
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
A winter hunt is always special, bugger to lose the bull but it happens. Hows the dog like the snow? thanks for the post

IP Logged

Hydro
Donor Member

Born to Hunt

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2019 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Time to get yourself a Tikka 7mil Rem Mag. 😎

Cheers for the post.† Smiley

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Hydro wrote on Jul 30th, 2019 at 8:11pm:
Time to get yourself a Tikka 7mil Rem Mag. 😎

Smiley

Thatís what I did lol

Cool report, thanks for posting.

IP Logged

Dairyispoison
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Good writing.  Cool story.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
last time i had a shot at a bull saw the hair on his shoulder fly but when i got there no show,,now have a 300wsm Grin Grin give ya a shot from her when we next hunt

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
last time i had a shot at a bull saw the hair on his shoulder fly but when i got there no show,,now have a 300wsm Grin Grin give ya a shot from her when we next hunt

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Good story and photos,bad luck no getting yr tahr.

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Nice report. some scary country there without the knowledge or gear to keep safe. Pity about losing the bull.

.270 WIN † AWESOME SINCE 1925† †† † "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #10 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Lou Nunn wrote on Jul 30th, 2019 at 2:12pm:
A winter hunt is always special, bugger to lose the bull but it happens. Hows the dog like the snow? thanks for the post

She loves it  Grin went for a bit of a skate at one point though and I had to rope her to me in the steepest bit. Probably won't take her winter tahr hunting in future

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #11 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
264Magic wrote on Jul 31st, 2019 at 3:15pm:

Sounds the business mate we'll just shoot them from the creek  Grin

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #12 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the kind comments hopefully my next report will be a successful one  Cheesy

IP Logged

Charlie

Happy in the Hills

Reply #13 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Another great adventure eh.
Love seeing your beagle in such remote places  Grin

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #14 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Charlie wrote on Aug 14th, 2019 at 12:58pm:
Another great adventure eh.
Love seeing your beagle in such remote places† Grin

Going where no beagle has gone before† Grin itís even more remarkable considering the fat shit spends most of her life asleep on the couch  Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards