Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 17HMR or 22 magnum for predator work (Read 3032 times)
Sneaka

I love short range hunting

17HMR or 22 magnum for predator work
Jul 29th, 2019 at 7:44am
Print Post  
Hi folks,

I am looking at purchasing a new rifle for predator work. What I am wanting is an accurate, RELIABLE CYCLING semi auto in one of the above calibres. I am wanting magazine capacity without the mag sticking down. The rifle needs to be accurate and light weight as it will be carried a lot slung. I had looked at a derivitive of the Ruger 10/22 mag for this. It will suppressed with a shorter barrel. I know they dont make the Ruger one any more but was looking at a Volquartsen or similar. Does anyone have any thoughts for this? Also for the pros out there would 17 or the 22 mag work better on possums and feral cats out to say 150m? Am only wondering re humane killing power, not long range or wind issues etc. Or are they much the same? Am sure these questions have been well worked through by some of you out there. Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

IP Logged

Kickstart
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Gas leak solved, yeah...NAAAA
NAAA run!!

Re: 17HMR or 22 magnum for predator work
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
I'm guessing its not DOC land, so some gnarly back country.  I would recommend .223 instead (no semi obviously).  Possums dont move fast enough to justify a semi.. as for cats I recommend anything up to 50mm.

.223 ammo should come down in price  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Sneaka

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Thanks but want a semi with a few rounds in mag and lower noise and rifle weight so really a rimfire the way to go. Yep not DOC land.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2019 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
its not semi but I opted for browning t bolt,  theyre straight pull and very fast to cycle without taking eye away from the scope and rotary/helix mag thats flush.  got mine in 17hmr as had ruger american 22mag and doing pest control you want flat shooting and accuracy and 22mag drops to quick whereas 17hmr super reliable at distance.

17hmr good alround small animals I do 90% of my work with it.
22mag is my go to if all im going after is possums as bit better stopping if you do a body shot, 17hmr only good for headshooting possums.

both cartridges easily bowl deer sub 100m if you headshoot.
both similar cost to feed and I avoided semi auto as gets expensive quick when you miss and keep pulling trigger  Grin bolt action makes you slow down a tad and make it count.

and cats imo use 223 if you can otherwise id go 22mag.  just read your post again, if its just cats and coons then 22mag best but out to 150m your dreaming if you want to kill consistently with one tho. 17hmr will go that far but miss the head and they will get away wounded.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
A semi 17hmr is a difficult thing to perfect.  All the early ones get recalled and the only one I am aware of is the Savage A17.  It's still not perfect as 17 hmr brass is fragile due to a combination of a hot load and a weak neck.  Unlike a centerfire the neck isn't annealed beacause the primer is put in the rim of the case before the neck is formed and of course you can't heat the case to anneal it after that.

So that brings us to the 22 magnum.  The better ammo out these days has stretched the range of the caliber.  If anyone has any reccomendations on decent semi 22 magnums to buy I am keenly interested.  Preferably one that is accurate, with a pistol grip that looks cool to fill the gap in my heat left empty by the absence of my AR...

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Prtnd Huntr

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 6:23am
Print Post  
While I get you are wanting either the 17hmr or the 22 magnum in mind and also you want semi auto.
Give some consideration to the 204 with a 40gr pill.  I have one and have it suppressed as well and man it would be ideal for what your wanting.  It also has an internal mag.
Mine is a savage and just cant rate it enough.

Food for thought

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Massive,  the 22mag you seek was around about 10yr ago and that was the excel arms- accelerator rifle.  I had one in 17hmr and was a wicked lil gun but a tad heavy with the stainless barrel but super accurate and super short.

sold mine when I was a tad tight for money  Cry  apperently the ejectors crapped out easily and hard to get parts but if you find one theyre well worth buying.

IP Logged

Sneaka

Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Thanks for the thoughts folks. Yep had looked at a 204/ 223 but really need a lower intensity cartridge for some of the areas being worked hence a rimfire. Have looked in to the options up hill and down dale and especially around the feeding issues of some 17HMRs. Seems that if I buy one and want to shorten the barrel that it might create feeding issues due to change in pressure etc. I have done my research and it seems I can go to 16 inches with a 17HMR with no real issues re velocity loss. So the simplest thing to do is just get a wee bolt action and work the bolt fast if needed. Am looking at the CZ stainless. Light and will take the work load it will be given. Will do that and put a DPT suppressor on it. Will mount a Picatinny rail on so I can use two different sighting systems depending on the work type. Job done. It seems that the 17HMR will be more likely to be super accurate and will pack plenty wallop for bigger predators  Wink

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #8 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Sneaka wrote on Aug 5th, 2019 at 9:52am:
Thanks for the thoughts folks. Yep had looked at a 204/ 223 but really need a lower intensity cartridge for some of the areas being worked hence a rimfire. Have looked in to the options up hill and down dale and especially around the feeding issues of some 17HMRs. Seems that if I buy one and want to shorten the barrel that it might create feeding issues due to change in pressure etc. I have done my research and it seems I can go to 16 inches with a 17HMR with no real issues re velocity loss. So the simplest thing to do is just get a wee bolt action and work the bolt fast if needed. Am looking at the CZ stainless. Light and will take the work load it will be given. Will do that and put a DPT suppressor on it. Will mount a Picatinny rail on so I can use two different sighting systems depending on the work type. Job done. It seems that the 17HMR will be more likely to be super accurate and will pack plenty wallop for bigger predators  Wink

Good decision. Ive been though all the semis in .22 and .17 and after 4 years working with them in pest control, went back to a .17 bolt action as best allrounder. The constant feeding problems with semis and lost animals because of,, got to me in the end.

The T bolt option in .17 is not a bad idea. Has merit if they are available.

Have been through two of the Savage 17 until the barrel lost accuracy. As they are a semi and using the ''hot'' A17 ammo from cci,, , I reckon that a barrel is only good for bout 5-6000 rounds. 1. the ammo runs a bit faster than all other .17 ammo.  2. on warm nights and firing long strings the barrels get a thrashing and very hot..  A mate using the same ammo in a CZ Bolt action had the same experience with barrel life so we both changed down a gear in ammo for better barrel life.
He bought a CZ 455 because for little money your can change the barrel easily when the time comes and I went for a cheap Ruger American Preditor which is a well built mass produced  gun with reasonable accuracy, and light. Also has a flush 10 shot rotary mag which is very easy to load,, way easier than a ruger mag. Has worked very well for me overall and dont regret going away from the Semi.

IMO the bolt actions also offer just a wee bit more power and accuracy, and they are a lot quieter anyway.

A 10/22 with subs* is still good for close in work  in scruby stuff, but after Ive hit an area with that the next visit is with the .17.. the subs tend to push rabbits round less for the first sweep.. good luck with your new purchase.  Smiley

*If youve got one that cycles well.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2019 at 9:53am by headcase »  

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Sneaka

Reply #9 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 7:36am
Print Post  
Just an update. I am using the 22 Velocitor 40gn hyper velocity ammo in my 10/22. Looking promising. Will still be using a 17HMR bolt for precise shots when the hunting needs a bit more range.

IP Logged

Kickstart
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Gas leak solved, yeah...NAAAA
NAAA run!!

Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
I've used the quik-shok a lot more as opposed to the velocitor in my 10/22 - was a reliable 100m killer on small game.

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Hc have u had any issues with empty shells not ejecting we have 1 and it has been back and forth to the dealer since we got it

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
padox wrote on Nov 9th, 2019 at 4:07pm:
Hc have u had any issues with empty shells not ejecting we have 1 and it has been back and forth to the dealer since we got it

Yes I got that sick of it Ive gone back to bolt actions.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
No our ruger is a bolt and still jams emptys

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #14 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
padox wrote on Nov 10th, 2019 at 8:10pm:
No our ruger is a bolt and still jams emptys

Im using a ruger 77/22 bolt action, 10 shot flush rotary mag.. for subs and yes it does jam ocaisonally but nothing like the semiauto in .22.

Ive shot maybe 50000 rabbits with that gun. Had perhaps guessing 200 jams. Its rare with the odd clean. I keep a wee dentists tool handy and a jammed case is out pretty quick.

When your on pest control there is a huge amount of frustration with a jammed semi. If it starts jamming it usually doesnt stop..

Whereas  a one in 30 rounds or less with a bolt is acceptable. Anyway the bolt action, whether a .17 or a .22 is way quieter.

As well you know.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards