Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Sighting in and accuracy to expect from a Tikka TX3 (Read 4925 times)
Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Sighting in and accuracy to expect from a Tikka TX3
Reply #30 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
now THAT is a target pattern I havent seen before....what a plurry great idea for low power scopes..

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #31 - Aug 27th, 2019 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Very easy to hold scope cross on colour joint at long range too.
MD try using say light green n say yellow,what ever colour suits yr eyes to see yr cross hairs on the colour joints better.Black not very good or coarse.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2019 at 8:02am by Trout »  

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

flyingpillock

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #32 - Oct 27th, 2019 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Hey all
Has been a while since last time I was at the range but managed a quick trip this morning and just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and tips.
Was getting a little concerned about it, so bought a pack of match ammo as well to give the gun (and me)the beat chance  of performing.
Reset the action into the stock as suggested and changed the shooting position so I was more in line with the rifle (from seated to laying prone)
1st group with the match ok-ish at 1.5inch which wasnít as good as Iíd hoped, then thank Christ 12mm group and another just in an inch. Chucked 3 each of precision hunter and American hunter/whitetail? Down range as well And pleasantly surprised to see they were bang on an inch as well with the group of the Precision returning exactly to where they were hitting last time.
So huge sigh of relief that the rifle can do it, seems itís up to me to try and improve, pretty obvious I have a bit of a flinch Iíll need to work on.
Cheers again for the advice

IP Logged

grandpamac
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #33 - Oct 29th, 2019 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Greetings Flyingpillock,
I see you have had plenty of advice on this one, some of it conflicting. Two TX3 rifles sit in my gun safe. One is a .223 with a 4-12 power scope and the other a 6.5x55 with a 6 power scope. Both scopes are Leupold and both rifles shoot sub MoA when I do my bit. I believe I have made most of the mistakes possible in sighting in and testing rifles over the last 50 years but these days seem to be able to get the job done most of the time. Here are a few of the things I have learned are most important.
Targets. I use the Deerstalkers 100 metre targets as long as I can clearly see the white centre around the cross hairs. The white centre on these targets is about 60 mm in diameter surrounded by a red circle. For scopes with thick cross hairs or at longer range I make up hollow square targets using red tape on white paper to suit. Once again the white square is sized so the four corners can be clearly seen. It is easy to see if one corner is bigger than the others and adjust.
Parallax. Your Leupold scope will be set to be parallax free at 150 metres or so. There will be some parallax at 100 metres and a little more at 100 yards. I use either 170 or 200 metres for sight in and testing as the groups are often not much larger than at 100 metres.
Loads. It looks like you are using factory loads. Factory loads are really good these days but there is always a problem with maintaining a supply of the same loads. One non handloading friend settles on a load he likes and buys 5 boxes so he has a consistent supply. You might want to consider handloading down the track.
Eyesight. If you have not had your eyesight tasted for some time you may want to consider it. You can't shoot well if you can't see well.
All the best. Grandpamac.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #34 - Oct 31st, 2019 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Just sighted the 223 in for our hunt this weekend. Useless bloody rifle. Better check the target. Well yes. Itty bitty hole smack in the middle of the cross. The Stephens indelible pen on cardboard masked the hole.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards