Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic .222 stablising longer projectiles. (Read 1152 times)
Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

.222 stablising longer projectiles.
Jul 18th, 2019 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Still messing with the .222.

I have got the 70 grain Speer to shoot very well in my supposedly 1:14 twist BSA (didn't shoot at all in my Sako) and I was thinking about the 60 grain Partition. Which by all accounts will not shoot in a 14 twist at all, but,

What if I filed the bullet so it was shorter.

IP Logged

Gman

Re: .222 stablising longer projectiles.
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
If you filed it, it would no longer be 60 grains though??
Also it would affect the aerodynamics of said projectile.
Guess it depends on what your using it for, seems to me that you would be better just using a 55 grain pill.
Fiddling with that stuff is fun though so don't let me put you off.

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Its more that I wanted the bullet performance of the partition rather than the weight, but then, it might need the bit at the end.  Grin
I am already going off the idea.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2019 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
try a few backwards...... big open lead tip and long boat tail LOL. Grin Grin

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2019 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
It needs a faster twist with heavier pills in the triple deuce. Becomes an issue what you want it to do. Killing? try a fast barrel and Barnes or 60gr Hornady thru a Vixen.The loads I do for 2 Vixens all run annealed brass every time. The owners say the grouping has got tighter. These dudes head shoot plovers.2C.

IP Logged

rupert

Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2019 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Check out this website and plug in your bullet data to find the level of stability you may get. Put in the data for the 70gn Speers as a comparison.
file:///Users/Adam/Desktop/JBM%20-%20Calculations%20-%20Stability.webarchive

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2019 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
That website is only sort of useful, mainly because I don't think all barrels are exactly 14 or exactly 12 twist etc.
I have had a Sako Vixen that wouldn't shoot 70 grainers even slightly - shotgun pattern over an A4 piece of paper, whereas the BSA .222 will shoot five rounds into .7 of inch
Now I should be happy with that, but I like to fiddle with .222's mainly because its so cheap to do it, and they usually will shoot everything well.

IP Logged

rifleman orewa
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2020 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Not sure why you need heavier pills in a 222? However, flat base 60g "should" work - just measure bullet length and stay away from boat tails over 50g.  Mind you - I can talk! I re-barrelled my 222 with a 1/8 twist last year. The original barrel had worn out, and a mate gave me a 1/12. Shot round corners. So I bought a take off, new Tikka barrel from Dan Hardy. Same threads as my older gun - but had to be shortened and re-chambered. But I Normally shoot 55g in it and leave the heavies for the 223 and 6mm rifles. It does shoot 70g nicely though, but the speed is well down.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Apr 7th, 2020 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
rifleman orewa wrote on Mar 8th, 2020 at 11:16am:
Not sure why you need heavier pills in a 222? However, flat base 60g "should" work - just measure bullet length and stay away from boat tails over 50g.  Mind you - I can talk! I re-barrelled my 222 with a 1/8 twist last year. The original barrel had worn out, and a mate gave me a 1/12. Shot round corners. So I bought a take off, new Tikka barrel from Dan Hardy. Same threads as my older gun - but had to be shortened and re-chambered. But I Normally shoot 55g in it and leave the heavies for the 223 and 6mm rifles. It does shoot 70g nicely though, but the speed is well down.

Have you tried any Barnes thru it ...the 53gr Tsx and 55gr Tsx? They like the faster twist. Loaded some 55gr GMK for another mate in an older 222. Does the bizo . Nice 13pt Wairoa stag before the roar.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards