Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sticky Topic Dont hand back your firearms just yet (Read 730 times)
Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Dont hand back your firearms just yet
Jul 12th, 2019 at 3:20pm
Print Post  

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
Book. Born to The Outdoors http://www.alan-simmons.com/book
IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Donor Member

Re: Dont hand back your firearms just yet
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2019 at 9:21am
Print Post  
I will be not handing in my prohibited firearm (70 year old tube mag manual loader) until the near the end of the amnesty period.

One point - when I surrender it it will be for confiscation compensation. Not for any hand back, or buy back payout. After all they never owned it originally.

IP Logged

Kiwigunguy
Just Joined

Support Your Local Gun
Rights Organisation

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2019 at 10:58am
Print Post  
6.5x55bjai wrote on Jul 13th, 2019 at 9:21am:
I will be not handing in my prohibited firearm (70 year old tube mag manual loader) until the near the end of the amnesty period.

One point - when I surrender it it will be for confiscation compensation. Not for any hand back, or buy back payout. After all they never owned it originally.

Here's a better idea. Just get the tube limited to ten rounds.
You can get a little metal plug which gets inserted into the magazine tube. It's reversible if the laws get repealed eventually, and it means you don't need to hand in anything.
It's much better to modify the gun and keep it than to hand it in. You can always un-modify the gun later, but you can't un-destroy it. The more guns we can keep from being destroyed, the less damage these laws will do.

"An experienced shooter of limited skill and dangerous enthusiasm." -Hitman: Blood Money newspaper

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Font

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2019 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Kiwigunguy, all modifications have to be permanent and non reversible. Thatís it in a nutshell..... thatís what PNHQ told us to tell people who asked. Theyíve gone further to say that it should be done by a gunsmith, they are also saying they havenít got a list of approved Gunsmiths yet. Thatís if you want to be able to claim the $300 incentive being offered to have items modified. I know some people who have modified their AR platforms into Bolt actions 😀

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Kiwigunguy
Just Joined

Support Your Local Gun
Rights Organisation

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Radar wrote on Jul 13th, 2019 at 3:41pm:
Kiwigunguy, all modifications have to be permanent and non reversible. Thatís it in a nutshell..... thatís what PNHQ told us to tell people who asked. Theyíve gone further to say that it should be done by a gunsmith, they are also saying they havenít got a list of approved Gunsmiths yet. Thatís if you want to be able to claim the $300 incentive being offered to have items modified. I know some people who have modified their AR platforms into Bolt actions 😀

There are already plenty of firearms that have been modified in a semi-permanent way and put back on the market. I highly doubt the police will be chasing up people whose guns are not modified "permanently-enough." Cutting the tube is not required as best I can tell, so not technically a permanent modification and also retains the collectors value.

"An experienced shooter of limited skill and dangerous enthusiasm." -Hitman: Blood Money newspaper

IP Logged

tweake
Forum Font

tweak it till it breaks

Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Radar wrote on Jul 13th, 2019 at 3:41pm:
Kiwigunguy, all modifications have to be permanent and non reversible.

there is nothing in the law that states that, that i have seen.
all parts required to undo the modification are illegal anyway.

no doubt this is the same people who are exceeding their authority by making up laws for themselves to police. just like they declare you are not allowed to modify a gun at all, even tho the govt is paying $300 for you to do so.

i would be very interested to know who is signing their name to these statements and what the legal ramifications against them are.

IP Logged

muzza
Donor Member

Older and grumpier

Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
The Law says that you must not have a magazine with a capacity of more than ten rounds. It doesnt say how you shall restrict your magazine to ten rounds. The Police are the ones who are using words like "permanent" and then not being able to tell you what permanent is .
If you are happy to pay for your mag tube to be fitted with a spacer, or can do it yourself , than go right ahead. The nay-sayers are wrong - it is totally legal for you to do the task yourself. Do not , however, cut and shorten the magazine tubes - that will look silly and totally destroy and intrinsic value in your firearm.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

IP Logged

Kiwigunguy
Just Joined

Support Your Local Gun
Rights Organisation

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 6:04am
Print Post  
muzza wrote on Jul 14th, 2019 at 4:40pm:
The Law says that you must not have a magazine with a capacity of more than ten rounds. It doesnt say how you shall restrict your magazine to ten rounds. The Police are the ones who are using words like "permanent" and then not being able to tell you what permanent is .
If you are happy to pay for your mag tube to be fitted with a spacer, or can do it yourself , than go right ahead. The nay-sayers are wrong - it is totally legal for you to do the task yourself. Do not , however, cut and shorten the magazine tubes - that will look silly and totally destroy and intrinsic value in your firearm.

I couldn't agree more.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards