Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mckinnon Wakelings and Ruahine Corner Huts (Read 7047 times)
hogdog
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Mckinnon Wakelings and Ruahine Corner Huts
Jul 10th, 2019 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Hey Guys

I am trying to decide which out of Mckinnon Wakelings or Ruahine Corner hut to do a trip to, looking at google earth I like the look of the Mckinnon hut area as tops looks like it gives reasonable access to glass the bush slips and areas below, and advice would be much appreciated
cheers

IP Logged

30late

Taihape where men are
men and sheep are nervous

Re: Mckinnon Wakelings and Ruahine Corner Huts
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Hey hogdog doesn't seem like anyone else is going to answer your post so I will give you my humble opinion.
Its been a long time since I last hunted Mckinnon hut area, we used to walk up from the old Doc base at Kawhatau but that access has been closed for some time now so probably only fly in hunters that go there, very exposed up there in bad weather so you would have to time your trip with a good weather window, no doubt there's a few deer up there but I wouldn't go there until mid to late summer.
Wakelings is a nice spot ,plenty of river slips to hunt and you can climb up onto the Mokai tops if the weather is ok.
Ruahine Corner is a good spot too though pretty popular these days, good bush edge hunting and easy going country, and if the fog comes in there's always the blue slip near the hut which always seems to produce a few deer.
So take ya pick. Cheers

IP Logged

hogdog
Just Joined

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
30late wrote on Jul 14th, 2019 at 3:38pm:
Hey hogdog doesn't seem like anyone else is going to answer your post so I will give you my humble opinion.
Its been a long time since I last hunted Mckinnon hut area, we used to walk up from the old Doc base at Kawhatau but that access has been closed for some time now so probably only fly in hunters that go there, very exposed up there in bad weather so you would have to time your trip with a good weather window, no doubt there's a few deer up there but I wouldn't go there until mid to late summer.
Wakelings is a nice spot ,plenty of river slips to hunt and you can climb up onto the Mokai tops if the weather is ok.
Ruahine Corner is a good spot too though pretty popular these days, good bush edge hunting and easy going country, and if the fog comes in there's always the blue slip near the hut which always seems to produce a few deer.
So take ya pick. Cheers

Cheers appreciate the info

IP Logged

Wanderer

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Recommend you contact DoC in Palmy Nth for latest access info. The Ruahine User group has been trying to get the dept to sort this area out for ages.

McKinnon - The direct access to Kawhatau base is pretty much gone. There is an alternative route from down river that DoC have cut. But also dependent on river level. It'll be under snow at the moment.

Wakelings is poled access via Mokai station

Ruahine Corner is either via poled route from Mokai or you may get permission from Mokai station to access via Iron Bark. Unlikely to get permission from Mangahane to access directly across the plateau.

Unless of course you want to access from the eastern side.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Getting close to lambing and calving time for stations: they won't want people disturbing their nursery paddocks for the next 2 months-ish. So legal 365 day/year access routes will be your best option.

IP Logged

tararua60

Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Recommend you contact DoC in Palmy Nth for latest access info. The Ruahine User group has been trying to get the dept to sort this area out for ages.

McKinnon - The direct access to Kawhatau base is pretty much gone. There is an alternative route from down river that DoC have cut. But also dependent on river level. It'll be under snow at the moment.

Ruahine Corner is either via poled route from Mokai or you may get permission from Mokai station to access via Iron Bark. Unlikely to get permission from Mangahane to access directly across the plateau.

Unless of course you want to access from the eastern side.

Even if Mangaohane gave you permission you would still need permission from The Aorangi boys as the station hasnt controlled the tussock out the back for years , not likely to get that
Helicopter would be best bet from Taihape

IP Logged

tararua60

Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 4:12pm
Print Post  

Unless of course you want to access from the eastern side

IP Logged

tararua60

Reply #7 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 4:14pm
Print Post  

Unless of course you want to access from the eastern side

Even if you got permission from Mangaohane you would still need to access across the tussock , so would need permission from the Aorangi boys
The station hasnt controlled the tussock out the back for years

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards