Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Is it possible to search through other people's post history? (Read 3766 times)
Ooops
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Is it possible to search through other people's post history?
Jul 6th, 2019 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Hi all,

Is there a way to see a complete list of the topics a member, (other than one's self), has started and a list of all the posts they've made since they joined?

I see there's a way to see the last five posts and another way to see a max of twenty. I'd like to be able to see them all.

The reason that I ask is that I've found it really valuable on other forums to be able to go back through the old posts made by people whose experience, expertise and talent I've come to respect.  Think of it as searching back through their personal to archive of valuable advice.

The upside to every one else is that it probably cuts down on the number of daft questions that I'll ask Grin

Any info gratefully received

IP Logged

Ooops
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Is it possible to search through other people's post history?
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 4:08am
Print Post  
820 views and no result Cry

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 7:30am
Print Post  
thats a question some pokey media reporter or incompetent cop would ask.  plus admin seems almost non existant on here now.

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Send a message to Head Case, he may be able to help.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 11:43am
Print Post  

I don't even know how to search for my own previous posts - other than my last twenty.

So no - it's impossible.

But - that is a curious question, maybe you're 'profiling' someone ?

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 11:46am
Print Post  
headcase not "Head Case"

IP Logged

uk_exile
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Of course it's possible, just probably not possible using the functionality that's built into the public interface of this forum. Nothing on the www is non searchable if using the right tool. Even a tin foil hat will not protect you.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
TJ wrote on Jul 16th, 2019 at 11:46am:
headcase not "Head Case"

You got it right the first time around  Grin

IP Logged

Ooops
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Wow 1361 views, I've never been so popular

gonehuntin wrote on Jul 15th, 2019 at 7:30am:
thats a question some pokey media reporter or incompetent cop would ask.

You sussed me, I'm looking for a scoop for the Sunday papers Smiley Smiley Smiley
Fair point, I hadn't thought of it being seen in that context.

An explanation seems to be in order.
Stalking, (four legged game) is a relatively new interest of mine, which I can't physically pursue until I wrap up working away. Hopefully that'll be fairly soon.

In the mean time I have to be content with the role of internet stalker. Combine this with being an information junkie suffering from OCD and too much time on my hands makes me a very nosey inquisitive individual. One with a million "beginner's" questions

As to why I'm here, despite being a POM and a member of a number of UK sporting forums I find being on here invaluable for a number of reasons. These mostly revolve around the pragmatic approach you guys and gals have to anything you do, your wide variety of climate & terrain, the lengths and efforts you go to and the energy you're prepared to expend to access your hunts.

If you can make some thing half decent you will. You don't give a fig for advertising. If a manufacturer or product is popular its because it performs well and has earned its place in very testing conditions.

SF90 wrote on Jul 16th, 2019 at 11:43am:
that is a curious question, maybe you're 'profiling' someone ?

Actually I suppose I am but in a good way Smiley

In my experience else where, I find that I come to identify members who have a great depth of knowledge and experience and who deliver information in a way that suits my ability to take it on board. This forum is no different.

With that in mind IMHO being able to target & access the posts of specific respected individuals is vastly superior in answering my questions when compared to the search function.

My current specific interests are in the clothing, tentage, packs and relative "Ultralite".  After all if it works on the tops its going to work in Scottish winter etc. etc. There are half a dozen people who's choices and advice I'd really like to see as a baseline. I don't want to have to wade through the entire forum or post questions that will be repetitive to others or use a cumbersome search and wade through posts that I don't want to see.

It's also very educational to see how a members equipment choices have developed over the years and the reasons for it.

All these things come together to make the learning curve a lot easier to navigate

Hope that goes some way to relieving any fears and misconceptions about my motives and thanks for your patience on this long read Smiley

uk_exile wrote on Jul 16th, 2019 at 12:56pm:
probably not possible using the functionality that's built into the public interface of this forum.

Sadly I came to that conclusion but I thought I'd ask

And here's another off the wall question
How on earth do you get "Mark & Quote" to work?
I've tried every combination that I can think of. I even did the unthinkable and looked at the "Help" instructions.  In the end I had to do it by a very long winded process

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Jul 19th, 2019 at 12:49am
Print Post  

I do that too - and I can't get 'Mark and Quote' to work either, so I just do the 'Quote' thing.

If I'm looking for something, I just dial it in the 'Custom Search' box up the top on the right and it will take you into a section that will show you previous discussions on whatever it is you're looking for.
You'll see the 'Fishnhunt' ones.

I use it all the time - and if it's been discussed that's pretty much where you'll find that discussion.
People come and go on here, we seem to have a limited lifespan - but some of those 'no longer here' members had some really worthwhile stuff to say - and that's where you'll find them.
'Nimrod's' posts on bush equipment are good and another name to look up when considering 'ultralight' is 'Creed'.
There are others - and you should pick up their names when reading those two, or perusing that section.
You'll still likely have to do some 'wading' though.

Good luck with it mate  Smiley

Oh - and I should mention, our Department of Conservation employed a company to do a little spying not so long back, and got caught - and one of the places they took information was from this forum.
And of course - we are currently undergoing Gun Law change following the Christchurch shootings with both pro and anti comment in the media - but you'll have probably picked that up, and because a second 'tranche' of Law which has yet to be announced is on the agenda - we have possibly become a little edgy  Undecided

IP Logged

Ooops
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Jul 19th, 2019 at 6:49am
Print Post  
Thanks for the feed back, much appreciated
SF90 wrote on Jul 19th, 2019 at 12:49am:
and I can't get 'Mark and Quote' to work either

Glad its not just me

I just dial it in the 'Custom Search' box
I've been doing the same

some of those 'no longer here' members had some really worthwhile stuff to say

some of the current ones aren't too shabby either Smiley

'Nimrod's' posts on bush equipment are good

I'll add Nimrod to the list, Creed's already there

I should mention, our Department of Conservation employed a company to do a little spying not so long back, and got caught

That's disturbing on so many levels.

And of course - we are currently undergoing Gun Law change following the Christchurch shootings

Fight hard to keep your rights & traditions. Legislation penalises the law abiding whilst having no impact on the criminal, it is however, a platform for opportunistic politicians and they'll abuse it.

Take a good look at the shambles the UK has become and learn the lessons of our failures.

we have possibly become a little edgy  Undecided

Completely understandable

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Jul 19th, 2019 at 1:05pm
Print Post  

Got a suspicion you know how to use a computer better than I do - which probably isn't that difficult.

Yep - I know about your 'gun law shambles' which I believe followed the Dunblane shootings - not too dissimilar an occurrence to what happened here.
The Aussie gun owners got slammed after Port Arthur, once again a 'mass shooting' - so there is a 'theme' here.

What will eventually happen here is 'up in the air' as us gun owners can't seem to get our 'shit' together with many just accepting of change while others are busy arguing as to how to go about combating said change.
The one positive I see is the growing media discomfort with several journalists now speaking out against how it was all enacted - so it will be interesting to see if that will have any effect in changing public/political opinion.
And that just might be our best chance for moderation.

And yeah - there's some useful 'contributors' on here right now. I don't belong to any other forum, though I do 'drop in' from time to time, but there is a wealth of knowledge here on many levels.
Always good to get an 'overseas' experience or 'input' as well - we're not alone in the world.

IP Logged

Ooops
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #12 - Jul 19th, 2019 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Jul 19th, 2019 at 1:05pm:
Yep - I know about your 'gun law shambles'

Unfortunately its not just the gun laws, its every aspect of our society

that just might be our best chance for moderation.

I hope all your sportsman get behind the issue and show a united face otherwise you'll be steam rollered by the politicians at the behest of the antis and the uniformed public.

Always good to get an 'overseas' experience or 'input' as well - we're not alone in the world.

If I'm honest I have a vested interest. I'm so disillusioned with the home situation that I'm seriously considering emigrating and NZ is way up near the top of my list.
Unfortunately I think I may have left it a bit late

Perhaps I can get a slot on the Muppets cast and join as an additional grumpy old man Smiley

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Jul 20th, 2019 at 12:03am
Print Post  

My ancestors ran away from over that way a very long time ago - and I don't believe I ever regretted they did.

Looked up your age and see you're no chicken (no offense) - and I did that because I've worked with a number of Poms over the years, and while some have stayed - a good number packed their bags and buggered off back home - and mostly the older ones.
And that indicates they might have thought the grass to be 'greener' here - and it proved not to be.
Or it could have been our pubs aren't a patch on yours - I dunno, never been outside the country.
I do know we have a shitload of people here now - four and three quarter million which makes it all a bit hard to move without treading on someone - and one day China will own us and we'll have to learn another language.

On the plus side, we have no 'Brexit' happening here - but we do have a very enthusiastic Prime Minister who is feeling her oats - which is a bit disquieting.

On the whole though, I'd think I'd rather be here than anywhere else - we have remarkable 'freedoms' in so many ways, but for how much longer ............ ?

Got enough 'grumpy old men' here - the latest being Carlson Highway who's arguing with everyone at the moment - but he'll come right  Smiley

IP Logged

Ooops
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2019 at 5:27am
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Jul 20th, 2019 at 12:03am:
Looked up your age and see you're no chicken (no offense)

None taken, I did say I'd probably left it a bit late

it could have been our pubs aren't a patch on yours

Oh please don't tell me that

I dunno, never been outside the country.

I'm the opposite, after getting disillusioned at an early age I worked overseas for the vast majority of my time. Probably why every thing is so strange to me now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards