Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Linisher - belt speed?? (Read 951 times)
Slayer
Donor Member

Linisher - belt speed??
Jul 4th, 2019 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Anybody out there that uses a semi-industrial linisher to grind knife blades (tool steel) and timber?
I am about to build my own machine using a 3hp (2200W) motor running at 2850rpm and I am trying to size the belt's drive wheel.

Any info on your motor's rpm and diameter of drive wheel is much appreciated!

Political correctness is a doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Re: Linisher - belt speed??
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Wheel dia in mm x (22/7) x motor rpm = belt speed in mm per minute
mmper minute/25.4/12 = feet per minute
I built my grinder and have a 3 ph moter with VFD so can run from 38k fpm and down to a few 100 fpm
Run coarse belts very fast for rough grinding and the finer the belt the slower the speed so there is no burning.

The ability to do comes with doing

IP Logged

Slayer
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2019 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your reply.
I was after a few figures for the belt speed as I might not (straight away) buy a VFD for my machine. I am going to use a 125mm diameter drive wheel and at 2800rpm (fixed speed) the belt is wizzing at nearly 19m/s. The 72" belt does 10 laps in one second!!! That sounds quite high....

Political correctness is a doctrine which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 9:06am
Print Post  
A fat finger mistake in my post. My belt speed should have read as 3.8k fpm (that is 3800fpm)
By using this calcuator to change feet per minute to meters per second shows my 3800 feet per minute is 19.3 meters per second and I know others who are running into the 4500 fpm. So I am running at about the same 19 meters per second on my self built 2x72 in grinder.
http://www.kylesconverter.com/speed-or-velocity/feet-per-minute-to-meters-per-se...

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Are you running direct drive or are you able to use a 3 stage pully on the output shaft of the motor to the drive shaft of the grinder to allow for slower speed for the finer belts so you dont burn the steel when finishing the grinds.

IP Logged

Slayer
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Sorry for the late reply.
I am running the drive wheel directly coupled to the motor, no gearing up or down taking place.
Another issue is that my single phase motor (3HP, 2800 rpm) cannot be slowed down by a VFD and I do not want to buy another 3-phase & VFD. Looks like I will stick to what I have and call it my 'prototype' grinder.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards