Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hunting Woolshed Creek, Mt Somers (Read 2301 times)
sam98
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Hunting Woolshed Creek, Mt Somers
Jun 25th, 2019 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Just wondering the best way to attack the hunting area up woolshed creek on Mt Somers? Anybody been up recently and know what the animal numbers are doing there or any other infomation would be appreciated!
Cheers

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Hunting Woolshed Creek, Mt Somers
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
hi Sam98
yes I know the area well as have hunted there for 30 years,I know where the deer and other critters are likely to be and the best way to go about finding them,I also know the best way to hunt the area and where to go in different weather conditions and seasons.....its taken me 30 years to gather this information so there is no way in hell I will just hand it over to some newbie chump who pops onto a furum WITHOUT EVEN BOTHERING TO INTRODUCE THEMSELVES before asking for hard earned info....I would also be very pissed off if anyone else does so....

IP Logged

sam98
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Hi Micky Duck
Sorry for that mate. Im currently new to the area and want to get out into the hills to help fill the flats freezer for a hearty winter meal. Not asking for your secret spots but just anything to point a young man in the right direction is all i'm asking mate.

IP Logged

climbhigh

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Pretty certain there is no hunting around Woolshed creek,, always been a Scenic reserve so No hunting allowed,, unless things have changed in the last year or two. Stavely/Pinnacles hut areas are open to hunting. Thick bush!

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Look up doc maps and watch the weather.Go for a few long walks on sunnys days,Animals love a feed on northern sunny hill sides in winter. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
young man..... go for a walk,take something to sit on,take binos,glass north faces first,then keep looking in all directions...if it looks greener than elsewhere,it probably is yummier to eat than the brown stuff...deer know this...
keep wind in your face
keep quietcamo clothing is good but not essential,best camo is stat still and shut up
if you can hit a piece of A4 paper you can kill a deer at same range as vitals are that big
chest shoot...the deer cant move if you take its front wheels out.
if bush stalking slow down till you think you are going too slow...when you find fresh sign,slow down some more.
hard soles on boots are great on rocks and shale/soft soles or gummies better in the bush/wet and are quieter.
the front faces of mt somers itself have always held animals,the track around from one end to the other across the front face wouldnt be a bad place to start..get DOC map and work out boundaries...you probably can do that on your smart phone along with getting permit.... change ringtone/txt tone to a bird call when hunting...
and most importantly of all POSITIVELY IDENTIFY TARGET.....a live animal whos head and legs are moving the way they are supposed to be.

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
My favourite area too!  Cheesy

This general area was my very first spot to go for my first bush-bash 2 years back when started hunting as complete newbie. After about 12 empty-handed visits (!!) I finally know where they are... I also know there is couple of tiny spots which are frequently visited by pigs...  Lips Sealed

So I can totally relate to Micky's answer...

Just go and have a look. Don't go there to find fill the freezer but to explore. You could get lucky on your first visit or finally on your 15th, it has lots of variables but thats a beauty and challenge of hunting! I know myself that looking at all these brown spots on the DOC map can be bit overwhelming but nothing is better than to tick of one by one yourself... Than you can really say "I have hunted that deer"!  Wink  Cool

Shoot, cure, eat, repeat!

IP Logged

nathunt
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Jun 25th, 2019 at 3:57pm:
hi Sam98
yes I know the area well as have hunted there for 30 years,I know where the deer and other critters are likely to be and the best way to go about finding them,I also know the best way to hunt the area and where to go in different weather conditions and seasons.....its taken me 30 years to gather this information so there is no way in hell I will just hand it over to some newbie chump who pops onto a furum WITHOUT EVEN BOTHERING TO INTRODUCE THEMSELVES before asking for hard earned info....I would also be very pissed off if anyone else does so....

Jesus name calling straight off the bat? That's one way to knock a new guy down and put him off forums ay I get it,you have to earn your hunting spots God knows i have over the years and it's tough but same time I've pm'd guys just to give them a kick in the right direction too no need to blow up

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #8 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
and you use lords name in vain..... whos being offensive here???
read rest of thread and you will see Ive given advice.... and if some other newbie chump comes and asks for info on an area WITHOUT even introducing themselves first..I expect they will get similar reaction.... oh yes I too have pointed fellas in right direction numerous times...but no way am I going to give away someone elses hot spot to someone who has done nothing AS OF YET to contribute to the forum community...I believe the OP has read thread and understands this...hopefully the "young man" has taken it on the chin and had a read of what info he has been given,hopefully he takes it on board and gets out and gets a deer....

IP Logged

Sauer

Reply #9 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Iím afraid I agree with Micky on this one.

The problem is not necessarily telling one new young guy a good spot to look, but the people he tells and the people they tell.

Unless you know someone pretty well, and know they will treat your info with some respect, then I would no longer tell anyone anything specific.

I once told a guy at work who was struggling to find a deer a good spot to have a look - and he shot one on his first visit, but I now know of 3 guys from work who have shot deer there since.

Iím sure there are plenty of guys like me, and probably Micky, who would rather pass on their knowledge to their own kids as a starting point for their hunting exploits than run the risk of the spots they found over years of hunting being spoiled by trying to help someone they donít know they can trust to be discrete.

IP Logged

bobby6

Reply #10 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Heres an idea, if your not interested in helping just post nothing. I understand where youre coming from mate but chill out.

IP Logged

uk_exile
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #11 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
I can vouch for Micky Duck being a good ucnt. On the 'other forum' he private messaged me a great spot to try. I hadn't even asked for any spot info, just newbie type questions on equipment, what I intended to do, etc. He'd seen those newbie posts and took it upon himself to offer a location hint. Unexpected and most appreciated as it was an awesome location. If only the circumstances on the day had been better I would have had a ripper hunt. Certainly will not sharing that spot XXX!

Speaking of Spot X the books do not rate Mt Somers very highly.  Talks about occassional animals. Also need to be careful with the permit area.

IP Logged

Sauer

Reply #12 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
So how did you help bobby6? Perhaps you should practice what you preach?

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #13 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Sam98,

Mickys response comes from a history of first time posters asking for places to hunt and not even giving a brief history of their background. I have to say I met Micky through this very forum and although I'm not a young buck anymore he has taught me a lot about hunting and even taken me to his best hunting spot which not many people will do without building a good friendship and having trust in the person not to take all his mates back there the next weekend.

Here is the website for the DoC maps. Ask me if you want help on how to use the menus.
https://www.doc.govt.nz/map/index.html

Woodshed creek area is in the hunting area.

Get out there and have a look around. Smiley

.270 WIN † AWESOME SINCE 1925† †† † "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

uk_exile
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #14 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 7:53am
Print Post  
The online maps are so much better than the low res pdf issued with the permits. DOC really need to improve the PDFs.
I find some of the boundaries odd and for no apparent reason. Like why is the no hunt rectangle about 0.5km northwest of Woolshed creek hut? It's not the popular water caves area. Do climbers use those bluffs? Also the strip on the Stour about 2km further wets. Why no hunting there?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards