Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic hockey stick bait stations (Read 2208 times)
butcher93
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

hockey stick bait stations
Jun 25th, 2019 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Does anyone know of any of these for sale?

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: hockey stick bait stations
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
You can buy Philproof bait stations for bout $25 each. I will post a link when I find it.

Also..
Hockey stick designs, such as the Indac, are also available and this design can easily be made using plastic drainage pipes.

https://possumdss.landcareresearch.co.nz/possum_dss/info/Baitstations.html

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
just buy them new,  about 22 bux each delivered.  2 possums theyre paid for

indac make them

https://www.indac.co.nz/product-page/bait-station

Not many folk use em anymore and most 2nd hand ones will most likely be chewed to hell or missing lids and brackets,  by the time you muck around and buy them ur over half way to a new one

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
I buy mine here if thats any help. They also do free delivery if you buy enough sacks. Usually I buy 20 and the price drops radically.

https://keyindustries.co.nz/

They deliver out of Christchurch and when I order its delivered within two days. Often the next day.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
How does one use a hockeystick station anyway GH? Is that for cyanide.  I only poison rabbits with Philpot dispensers, and hedgehogs etc but am told they are also good for possums.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Yep mainly cyanide but could easily do brodi, pindone etc any peletized bait and grain works.  I use them to prefeed then after 5-7 nights once empty ill leave a nasty suprise for mr possum.

I like them as theyre extremely tough and hold 1kg of pellets,  philproofs are good but awkward and time consuming to set,  sentry and sentry plus dont hold enough and possums rip lids off and they go brittle in the sun.  havent used kilmores yet but suspect same issues as sentry.  the only advantage I see all those have over hockey sticks is theyre easily stackable so can pack alot if on foot, hockeysticks are a bit bulky so 15 about max I can carry,  for that reason I run them all from a quad bike.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2019 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
They look very easy to refill. Nailed to fenceposts they would suit me down to the ground... no bending over.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Jun 25th, 2019 at 5:48pm:
They look very easy to refill. Nailed to fenceposts they would suit me down to the ground... no bending over.  Roll Eyes

I keep bunch spare prefilled and ready to go out,  9/10 dont even have to get off the bike to change them  Smiley

Do you use bait stations for bunnies ?   If there was a dollar in it id go give them a go on wallaby but havent heard of anyone doing it that way but would be interesting to see how it would compare to strikers.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #8 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Yes the Philpot are ok for bunnies. Often will not be touched for a week or two until they get used to them. Can help to put a few pellets in front of the station to entice them in. Once they get over the shock of having something strange in the area the stations can work well, considering one does not need a licence to put Pindone Pellets in stations. They can, and probably better, is to nail them on fence posts raised a little over the ground.. bunny height.

The better method though with way better and faster strikes is putting the pellets directly on the ground in dry weather. Have some excellent results. One has to use common sense, which wont be a problem in your case. Im talking about smaller areas, high concentrations where the rabbits are obviously scratching and feeding. For bigger areas the spreader is also good. Minimum two spreads in the right weather, no prefeed, waste of time IMO if you catch the right moment when its all burned off or cold, short and brown.

I usually have a look a third time also... everyone needs a good feed and two feeds are better.

If its on the ground you must have a licence though to be legal..

No doubt the wallies eat pellets too but it would have to be a full tummy and not sure that is economical.. The strikers sound better.

A gun with a thermal is more fun.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards