Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sea trout north Island (Read 1435 times)
fluffchucker
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Sea trout north Island
Jun 21st, 2019 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Hi there one and all.
Looking into sea trout fishing. It mainly (from what I've found) talks about the south island. Surely they must run upstream in the north island? If so what are good rivers? I've not fished for them in NZ. Like to fish rivers. Just did a quick look. Used to fish about 27K upstream ATCF. So that leaves a lot of potential assuming they behave the same here. Then comes the question what time of year? Any help appreciated. If I've asked before, sorry, other things got in the way. Cheers

IP Logged

Nomads
Donor Member

Angler, hunter, gardener,
cook

Re: Sea trout north Island
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2019 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
are you asking about sea run browns?  Most larger rivers have browns at estuary level that spend a bit of time feeding in salt etc.  They move up river as all trout do at times , to spawn. Any river with and estuary has them, Hutt, Waihou, Tukituki, Awakino, Waikato....etc.

If you are referring to trout that live at sea and then make targeted runs up stream at a particular time of year, that's not really a thing in NZ with our species as far as I know.

enjoy

Like a cane chair at a nudist camp, always leave an impression.

IP Logged

fluffchucker
Just Joined

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Hi there.
I was referring to the latter. However bet the first would be as good eating!
Many thanks for the reply.
FC

IP Logged

Nomads
Donor Member

Angler, hunter, gardener,
cook

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 10:38am
Print Post  
eating? theoretically yes I guess so, but getting onto good numbers can be difficult.
The Waihou is a good example, crystal clear blue spring at the head waters, but the estuary is VERY different.  plenty of large browns but its not pretty fishing.

on the smaller rivers a Good time of year is whitebaiting season, and you will be welcomed by those guys, rather than being shot at by them.

enjoy

Like a cane chair at a nudist camp, always leave an impression.

IP Logged

fluffchucker
Just Joined

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Thank you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards