Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Advice needed? (Read 3372 times)
wildfowler.250
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Advice needed?
Jun 20th, 2019 at 12:50am
Print Post  
Hi guys,

Hoping to get over to NZ South Island next year and Iím trying to convince my old man,(keen Fisher) to come with me. Iím looking at going in mid to late April and might tie in some hunting whilst Iím over there.

Is there much fishing to be done at this time of year? What seasons / months are okay? Fly fishing is his thing,(trout / salmon) but any types of fishing or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Advice needed?
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 9:02am
Print Post  
late April most waters are still open...its pre spawning so trout will be in great condition
canals = biggest trout in the world IF you can catch them,smaller pan sized salmon 1-2lb not hard to catch there. absolute shiteloads of water available to fish,lakes are pretty much all open and getting quieter as people are retreating from the colder weather...like the guys from Nike say....just do it Wink

IP Logged

wildfowler.250
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!

When do the waters tend to close?

Iíve seen one or two links to fishing the twizel I think? And it looks like lots of people standing shoulder to shoulder. Finding some quiet river spots might be preferable.

I think sea fishing for kingfish is still okay at this time of year?

Sorry if these questions sound silly. Itís a long way from the UK to come over so want to get it as well thought out as possible

Thanks again!

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
shoulder to shoulder at Twizel will be in the canals after a pen full of salmon have escaped and word got out (2000 did the other day) photo will probably be during school holidays in summer time.
finding a quiet spot is as simple as driving a km down the road in just about any direction
kingfish will be a north island thing...bit too cold for them down here although the odd one is showing up in summer.
fish and game website will have all the seasons on it and a whole raft of other info for you..... do you shoot waterfowl??? season starts first Saturday in may...so you can take in last of fishing season and then shoot some ducks.....

IP Logged

wildfowler.250
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 1:13am
Print Post  
Thanks for that! Didnít realise it was likely holiday time or after an escape so nice to know you can get quiet spots!

Yeah shoot lots of waterfowl,(we call them wildfowl on the UK hence the username). What have you guys got over there? Any on public land or is it mostly through outfitters if you donít know any farmers?

Thanks!

Ps will have a good look at the website you suggested, thanks!

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
well a Mate from Sweden managed to get a mallard,a pukeko,a paradise duck,a spoonie/NZ Shoveler (beautiful wee bird) canada goose,feral goose both grey n white and a big black swan all in a couple of days all on public land so he missed out on getting a grey or wouldve had the lot..also pheasants quail and chuckor...... I shoot public water and we end up with about 30 birds each opening weekend between us ,doesnt matter if we have 2 or 5 shooters,thats all we get,if we shot straight the number would be easily 3 times that LOL Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2019 at 7:14am
Print Post  
kingfish around the top of the south in april

IP Logged

wildfowler.250
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Jun 21st, 2019 at 2:06pm:
well a Mate from Sweden managed to get a mallard,a pukeko,a paradise duck,a spoonie/NZ Shoveler (beautiful wee bird) canada goose,feral goose both grey n white and a big black swan all in a couple of days all on public land so he missed out on getting a grey or wouldve had the lot..also pheasants quail and chuckor...... I shoot public water and we end up with about 30 birds each opening weekend between us ,doesnt matter if we have 2 or 5 shooters,thats all we get,if we shot straight the number would be easily 3 times that LOL Grin Grin Grin

That sounds brilliant! I donít know how easy it would be to take a shotgun over,(especially if I do a stay over half way like in Hong Kong or something) so might have to go through an outfitter. Never duck hunted without a dog either! Would be a great experience if I could work it in somehow though..

IP Logged

wildfowler.250
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
bufferzone wrote on Jun 24th, 2019 at 7:14am:
kingfish around the top of the south in april

Thanks bud! Iíll probably be flying in and out of Christchurch. Any good guides around that way? Suppose for kings I would have to head up more towards nelson?

Really Iím happy to do any kind of fly fishing or maybe some kingfish to tie in with doing a hunt over there. Probably will be over mid to late April then hunting in May

Thanks again!

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2019 at 6:19am
Print Post  
pmd ya,

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
get in touch closer to the time...... Im sure we can sort something out Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards