Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tahr hunting (Read 1704 times)
Reuben
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Tahr hunting
Jun 13th, 2019 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Gidday,
I have moved down to the South Island this year and I am keen to have a crack at hunting tahr. I’ve been able to make a few days available mid July but I am wondering what kind of alpine gear is necessary to hunt at this time of year. I have been considering hunting black birch creek off the rangitata. I simply have no idea what environment I will be in, if there will be heavy snowfall underfoot or if the risk of avalanche is high. I will go on an alpine course later in the year but I was wondering if anyone knew if this was a good place to start hunting tahr with minimal experience and if it will be doable around the middle of July. I just want to see them, let alone shoot a bull. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!
Many thanks,
Reuben Smiley

IP Logged

possum_shooter
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Tahr hunting
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 7:25am
Print Post  
This is a post from a very experienced hunter Josh, cut and pasted from the other forum.  Full of excellent advice.

Advice is to glass lots - take a piece of foam bed roll to sit on so your arse doesn't freeze.

Morning and evenings are critical times to be in position for animals moving to and from feeding country. There's been culling through those areas for yonks, so the tahr become pretty wary of machine activity, so you won't see many through the day time. If you spot animals coming to a spot on the first evening, get in a position on the second to ambush them. They'll come back to that area normally.

The older/bigger bulls generally won't always be away up high, they're not that silly. Glass the scrub belts, fingers of bush edge etc. That said, you will see tahr up high, you don't necessarily have to chase them away up there. Last time I hunted the areas you've mentioned there were good bulls in the scrub, and they retreated there as soon as the first sightseeing machine flew over.

The bulls will follow the nannies around at this time of year, so if you find nannies, take your time to check for bulls rather than just have a bomb up on the nannies.

Take warmer clothing than you think you'll need, a decent down puffer under a good jacket is key. Take good gloves, hard to glass when your hands are stinging/burning with cold and you're shaking like a leaf.

Do take an ice axe minimum, do check out on youtube how to self arrest. Take a day course if you can, or get an experienced person to give you some tips. Better to have that equipment than not, as you may at some point on a tahr hunt find yourself in a precarious situation and need to climb down safely. An axe may save your life if you have a slip, which means carry it in your hand, not on your pack. Two points of contact on the ground at all times.

I do carry crampons but have only used them once to retrieve a tahr. I avoid going into situations where I think they'd be needed. That said, I have been caught out retrieving tahr and been thankful to have the option of using them.

As said, rope can be handy - not to assist you on a slope, but more to lower packs over big rocks or down steeper faces, or tie a animal to a bush to hold it while you cut it up/skin it etc. Don't go abseiling without the experience obviously.

Remember a south facing slope will freeze earlier in the day - so be wary of routes to the tops up a south face that you may take mid day. They can be treacherous on the way back down later in the day.

And a north facing slope covered in snow can get quite soft and risk of movement increases. Travelling in deep soft snow is a bitch anyway. Tahr don't like soft deep snow, so I generally avoid it.

Watch your mates backs for rolling stones/rocks as ground thaws or tahr travel above you, or you travel above your mates etc

If you find a good route to the tops, and plan on coming off in the dark, use the same route, don't opt for a shortcut. Ideally mark your route with GPS, I have been caught out in the fog/cloud and in the dark without a GPS on the way home and it's not a nice feeling.

Keep your PLB on your body, not in a pack. Take two forms of light and spare batteries.

The Reardon hut is cold. I'd almost opt to camp out on the flats across the valley to try get some sun. You'll see tahr from the hut/that general area, its a wicked valley.

Try and keep your boots dry, they will freeze solid if you don't. Sleep with your rifle, or at least cover the scope and check too make sure it is clear of condensation or frost before you leave camp.

Have fun, know your limitations and assess risks before you charge up after a bull. Tahr hunting in the bigger alpine country is very addictive. I wish I had more time to do more these days.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
black birch is great but make sure u go up the slip on your left and then sidle along a rough track then drop into the ck and all good from there,,if u end up going the ck way its shit and some waterfalls plus at that time of yr ice

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

WildernessKiwi
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 7:38am
Print Post  
Good luck Reuben, you have some exciting times ahead and some good advice above. I did a tahr trip recently after chasing chammy for a while. Bit of a step up!! Be careful and enjoy yourself, good luck!!

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2019 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
If you head up there 264Magic has the right advice. The creek will be freezing and icy. Staying out of the gorge is imperative. Not sure if you can get up there without getting wet boots. I have never achieved it. Below is a couple of photos showing which slip to climb and roughly where the track goes. Make sure you remember where it comes back into creek for the way back. Personally I stay away from creeks like this in winter because frozen boots aren't cool.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2019 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
The rocks along the creek will be covered in very slick thin ice. This has been a cold week and in the shady spots the ice has been growing a bit slicker and  thicker every day.

It theres a way round on sunny slopes take that.

Thar hunting often ends with a kill right on dark and by the time youve taken what you want and start walking out it can be pitch black.  A good headlamp, and a gps you backtrack with are your friends. In the dark, if your faced with choice of routes and your not very familiar with the terrain, having a GPS or not , can mean a great deal.. more than you want to think about on a crispy cold night and not sure which slip to walk down..
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2019 at 1:57pm by headcase »  

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

BC
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2019 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
This thread is a great example of hunter generosity with information. Well done all. Its what being a community is all about.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

possum_shooter
Forum Senior

Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Lets just hope the op comes back on line and reads it

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Exactly, Just had a look at his profile, 17 years old, never hunted Tahr, hasn't been online since 17th June. Wondering if I gave too much advice or perceived encouragement. That creek will be a freezing, icy shithole at this time of the year. Not a place I would be heading for fun.

Rueben, If you head up there take warm gear and be very careful of slippery rocks etc. A PLB would be a good thing to have.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Reuben,take another hunter with you,two people are better than one in the middle of winter up there.Winter can be cruel.

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards