Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Validating out to 500m range needed (Read 8395 times)
Gibson

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Validating out to 500m range needed
Jun 11th, 2019 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Hi

This has probably been raised time and time again.... but.

Does anyone know whether there is somewhere in lower North Island that someone can go to shoot out to 300m and 500m?

Experienced hunter, now based in Wellington, have no access to farms, have a 308, a capable scope and load developed with drop charts but no where to test beyond the 200m range provided by the local deer stalkers club.

I'm trying to get my goat plinking on in the Remutakas but keen to validate the drop charts on steel to make tweaks and gain confidence before starting on live animals.

Keen for any thoughts Smiley

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Re: Validating out to 500m range needed
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Honestly your best option is probably to drive out north west of the city and ask the farmers out that way if you can use a safe area on their land for sighting in etc. Tell them you don't want to shoot anything living, just paper and hope someone says yes. Worked for me down here.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Gibson

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks. Yep, found a place Smiley

IP Logged

HOFF7mm08

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2019 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Cheltenham gun club. 10mins north of Feilding. Google it but i think they shoot most Saturdays

IP Logged

Bagheera
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
?? Why not  trentham range. They do "target rifle" (fullbore) and F class there out to 1000 yards. They are summer sports so could be in recess just now but make enquiries.

Get in there and give those rimutaka goats hell.  There plenty of good shooting at 200m and less. Bring out what meat you can but goat numbers need to be reduced.

Also  ask around about manuka valley  range which is out the back of oharui.  I'm not sure how active it is now but they once held an event there called " runnin rifle".

IP Logged

Gibson

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards