Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic First time chasing sika (Read 1921 times)
Kaboomfa

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

First time chasing sika
Jun 6th, 2019 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Last weekend my partner and I decided to have a go at hunting sika for the first time. Iím a southern alps hunter through and through so I was like a fish out of water, did a lot of things wrong and unsurprisingly wasnít successful haha. It was good fun though and Iím keen as for another go so thought Iíd do a bit of a write up anyway.

The week leading up to the trip was spent googling for information and pouring over maps. The weather was looking terrible initially but as the weekend drew nearer it looked like it would clear overnight on Saturday and be good for Sunday/Monday. I flew to Wellington where my partner lives on Friday night. Due to the weather there wasnít any rush to leave so we arrived in Taupo late afternoon and after grabbing some supplies we headed up Clements mill rd arriving at the Te Iringa track at 4pm. There was snow on the road and was still raining/sleeting heavily. We had planned to walk all the way to the tiki tiki that evening but after arriving at the old hut site we decided weíd had enough so quickly set up the tent in the snow and dove into our sleeping bags. At 1.30am we were woken by a sika squealing near the tent which had us excited for the next 2 days.

She was cold at the old hut site

We woke up to the noise of rain on the tent so unfortunately motivation wasnít high to get away early. Eventually packing up and leaving around 9 we headed further along the track and decided to drop off on a leading ridge into the upper Tiki Tiki. Into hunting mode now we stalked as quietly as we could down the ridge. Plenty of sign was evident but the wind wasnít ideal and the only bit of excitement was one squealing off the side of the ridge near the bottom. Reaching the Tiki Tiki we headed downstream till we found a nice camp site. Setting up camp we carried on downstream hoping to find some open country/slips to look over. There wasnít much of the sort though and it seemed like there wasnít much deer activity down low at this time of year either. Heading back to camp in the dark we set up a fire and dried out a bit before hitting the sack.

Sausages over the fire and creamy mash for dinner

It was another cold night and again we werenít up as early as we shouldíve been. I had intially planned to go for a hunt upstream before packing up and heading out but we were on limited time with a 5 hour walk out so we decided to take camp with us.Climbing up to about 800m we began to sidle downstream and started to see quite a bit of fresh sign. Unfortunately again the wind was going in all directions plus our packs were noisy as in the bush making stalking quietly very difficult. Coming to a sidecreek we stopped for a break when we heard 5 loud hehaws coming from not far up the creek. Dropping our packs we crept up the hill, things were getting exciting with fairly good visibility through the bush and onto the other side of the creek I felt something was going to happen but we never saw or heard a thing. I suspect he winded us as again the wind was all over the show. Arriving back at our packs time was getting on so we had to up the pace and after finding our way around some bluffs we arrived where the track meets the river and headed back up towards the car.

keeping the boots dry

Random big hole from the river into the forest

Iíd read on here about a slip not far off the track and we arrived roughly where it is with about 30 mins of daylight left. We decided we may as well go for a look to try locate it so grabbing our head torches and a knife we dropped off the track. We hadnít got 50m off the track when one squealed just below us. I tried to get down further quietly as possible but never saw or heard it again. We'd run out of the light by now so slogged it back up the hill and got back to the car at 7 before driving back to Wellington for my flight home the next morning.

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Re: First time chasing sika
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Welcome to Sika hunting. Fascinating little buggars to hunt.
Bit grim camping at that old hut site in winter mate!
I walked over to tikitiki 18 months ago. Plenty of deer in there.My dog indicated 4 along the way. 3 of them were in thick scrub, the 4th was asleep beside the track and woke up and bolted before the crosshairs were on her chest. ☹️
Did you find the old kaipo hut?

IP Logged

Stretch
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
You probably did better than most for your first go at them I think. You picked some good country to hunt too, some bloody nice bush in that general area.  Good write up

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 7:19am
Print Post  
nice right up, am a SI bush hunter very keen to hunt them japs also, would love a few round here to play with. That hole?  looks very interesting what else can ya tell us about it?

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Maddoghunter wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 9:22pm:
Welcome to Sika hunting. Fascinating little buggars to hunt.
Bit grim camping at that old hut site in winter mate!
I walked over to tikitiki 18 months ago. Plenty of deer in there.My dog indicated 4 along the way. 3 of them were in thick scrub, the 4th was asleep beside the track and woke up and bolted before the crosshairs were on her chest. ☹️
Did you find the old kaipo hut?

I wasn't aware it got cold in the north island  Grin good to know theres a few in there, ill know what do better next time. No didn't see any hut?

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Stretch wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 11:10pm:
You probably did better than most for your first go at them I think. You picked some good country to hunt too, some bloody nice bush in that general area.† Good write up

Cheers yeah I'm not very experienced in bush hunting but it seemed to be pretty good going! I think next time ill stay up around the 8-900m mark, that seemed to be where most of the sign was.

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 10:18am
Print Post  
bufferzone wrote on Jun 7th, 2019 at 7:19am:
nice right up, am a SI bush hunter very keen to hunt them japs also, would love a few round here to play with. That hole?† looks very interesting what else can ya tell us about it?

I highly recommend it! Clements mill rd is a great place to start. Only 30 mins from Taupo and easy access off the road. Plenty of animals about. You could fly to Auckland, hire a rental and drive down there.

It was quite random, looked like a cave at the bottom of a cliff but once you walked into it it swept up and opened up into the bush.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
elliot,should of asked me,im pretty clued up on clements,dont have to climb so high at all

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #8 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Good write up. Geesus that looks cold.!

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #9 - Jun 23rd, 2019 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
264Magic wrote on Jun 22nd, 2019 at 6:50pm:
elliot,should of asked me,im pretty clued up on clements,dont have to climb so high at all

Hey mate thought about messaging ya but hadn't seen you posting in awhile so I thought you might've gone bush. Will def message you next time. Hope all is well!

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #10 - Jun 23rd, 2019 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
.threeoeight wrote on Jun 22nd, 2019 at 11:01pm:
Good write up. Geesus that looks cold.!

Cheers yup not the tropical north island weather I'd envisaged, lucky us southerners are used to it  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards