Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 40l ish pack (Read 2482 times)
hunter08

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

40l ish pack
May 26th, 2019 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
I'm looking for a 40l ish pack that has a good fram for carrying out hevay loads of bonded out meat I try & leck shoot the deer if the let me haha so I can take all the meat & at times have carrys of 4+hours out so needs to be comtable thanks

IP Logged

Gibson

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: 40l ish pack
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2019 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Not sure if you are looking for someone to sell you one or just for suggestions, so i'll start with the lata.

I use the Stoney Creek Mohaka which is a 40+10. The harness I've found to be pretty good carrying up to 25-30kg loaded up with meat. Personally, I've used mine for everything from over nighters to 4 day trips, doubling up the pack as a day hunting bag beyond the walk in.

During the roar this year I carried out loads in the 25-30kg range on two occasions, each trip taking +5 hours to walk out of the bush. The harness was all good, although I will say once loaded I did need to shuffle the shoulder straps around during the last couple of hours as the old shoulder muscles would start to get a bit soar.

For big trips, I usually need to pull out the big 90L Cascade Macpac to cater for the extra food needed on top of my standard kit.

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter
Forum Senior

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2019 at 6:34am
Print Post  
Would you go the 90 litres again Gibson. I am tossing up between the 65 or 75 litres at the moment.

I am also going to get the Fiord 40 litres pack, may not handle the loads to well though.
I hear Macpac have a sale starting next week, may have been last week I heard it though. 40%off.

IP Logged

Gibson

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2019 at 7:52am
Print Post  
We all have different circumstances, but in my case, the short answer is yes.

When I started out I didn't have and couldn't afford all the nice lightweight gear I have today. I'm not sure how I would have got by without the 90. Now I have all the lightweight gear, I find there is room in the 90 pack now to take a few luxuries (chippies and marshmallows Tongue) on the occasional trip, or if a friend or family member (who doesn't have any gear) wants to come into the hills I can take the old secondary bulky gear in my 90 and give them the lightweight gear to make the trip more enjoyable for them.

Two things I don't like about the 90. Its not ideal to double as a bush stalking pack but is fine for tops. The hip strap can dig in (on the Macpac) a little after a few hours, but I put a fleece shirt in there which solves that issue.

The trick with the 90 is discipline (i.e. not load it with crap because you can). A little extra space never hurt anyone in my opinion Smiley

Sorry for hi jacking your topic hunter08.

Back to the 40L topic again now....

IP Logged

hunter08

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2019 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Nar it all good seeing what other people do & what there thorts are

IP Logged

NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
if you only want it for carrying boned out meat back to camp or out to the truck if day hunting, Huntech's canvas pikau is bullet proof.
And comfy even without a frame.

Better to Burn out than it is to Rust

IP Logged

DrYopnihc
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Just picked up a huntech 40lt which Iíve had out for one trip so far seemed pretty good although didnít manage to bag a deer so not to sure how it goes with a full load. I like the simplicity of it and the price $120 new.  Have been using old 75lt for couple of years for carrying out meat normally 3+ hrs.

Mate picked up an old macpac I think itís 50lt from a second hand store for $5 bucks and I think it beats anything else Iíve looked at hands down.  Including my new pack, still pretty happy with the huntech as long as it handles the abuse itíll be a keeper.

IP Logged

hunter08

Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
I went in to hunt & shiting to looking at packs & the store I went to is not stocking huntech any more couse they sick off all the come backs but end up with a hunter element brondrys pack so will see how it goes weather it shits it self time will tell

IP Logged

biggun708

Life is good...

Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 7:53am
Print Post  
Macpac weka has been my go to pack for the last 3 years... tough as and big enough for 3 4 days then a boned out animal on the way out...

I am a hunter, I hunt without apoogy or guilt...

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
biggun708 wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 7:53am:
Macpac weka has been my go to pack for the last 3 years... tough as and big enough for 3 4 days then a boned out animal on the way out...

Really rate them. Not only for meat carrying but brutal track cutting and carting heavy gear in thick bush. Quality.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Don't get a hunting brand one, particularly from Grunting and Pissing. cactus miklat is bombproof, locally made by Kiwis and 40l.  Macpac is a good suggestion.  I am selling a elderstock if you want something with a built in rifle scabbard and a cool camo pattern.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. †Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

biggun708

Life is good...

Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Weka on sale at macpac atm 199 dollars... bargain...

I am a hunter, I hunt without apoogy or guilt...

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
biggun708 wrote on Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:21pm:
Weka on sale at macpac atm 199 dollars... bargain...

Wink

IP Logged

nathunt
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
My Kifaru muskeg is hands down the best pack I have ever had, pricey but bomb proof and their frames make heavy ass loads comfortable. I had a kuiu icon pro but it squeaked in the frame and soon as you got 25kg+ the comfort left. Check out their 14er pack or some of their framed packs

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards