Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Training possum retrieving dogs (Read 957 times)
BrownHound
Just Joined

Training possum retrieving dogs
May 26th, 2019 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Hi just wondering how you trained your dog for retrieving possums, e.g. what rules did you give the dog? Mine has been retrieving well but after getting attacked pretty savagely by one he's started getting hard on them. I'm plucking them and I also don't like them just being mauled. Do you have the rule that the dog only goes in on a release command?
Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Training possum retrieving dogs
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2019 at 7:53am
Print Post  
ya need to explain a bit more, so are you shooting them or just letting ya dog find them? if there not dead then there quite a handful for a dog to control, I totally would have the dog on a release command but first you need a really solid heel/ in behind command

IP Logged

Husky 1600
Donor Member

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2019 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
My dog has absolutely no problem with possums......after a 40gn sub to the head! Mine points and finds with no training other than following me as I check my traps, they learn quickly.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2019 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Mine has been retrieving well but after getting attacked pretty savagely by one he's started getting hard on them.

Was about to ask if anyone had ever handled a live possum after finding one a couple nights back on a tree just at heads height. A silly thought that could just reach out an grab it was dismissed as possibly not a good move. ( Dont have many possums round here  Grin)

Your post has added certantiy that grabbing possums is not a good move.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 8:04am
Print Post  
hay headcase ya can grab them, Ive done it a few times, sneak up behind them and grab there tail, a bit like snake rangling for us kiwis

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Banned

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 9:00am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on May 31st, 2019 at 5:06pm:
Mine has been retrieving well but after getting attacked pretty savagely by one he's started getting hard on them.

Was about to ask if anyone had ever handled a live possum after finding one a couple nights back on a tree just at heads height. A silly thought that could just reach out an grab it was dismissed as possibly not a good move. ( Dont have many possums round here  Grin)

Your post has added certantiy that grabbing possums is not a good move.

grab them by the tail and make sure you let them keep front feet on the ground or they climb their tail and f**k your hand up good  Cry  I was a slow learner in my younger years  Grin

to the OP  id avoid letting the dog grab live or wounded monkeys as if theyre not good at knowing how to dispatch one the scrap can go on a while and your dog can get some nasty wounds or lose an eye.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
bufferzone wrote on Jun 1st, 2019 at 8:04am:
hay headcase ya can grab them, Ive done it a few times, sneak up behind them and grab there tail, a bit like snake rangling for us kiwis

Knowing there is one around and not being able to find it again is a bit frustrating. Ive read here they are territorial so probably somewhere nearby, but do they also migrate through an area sometimes.

Anyway the dog(s) have been making a beeline for the property over the road the last few nights. That might explain the behavior.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards