Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic recurved bull tahr (Read 3641 times)
awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

recurved bull tahr
May 19th, 2019 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
So I am just home from an east coast walk in tahr hunt. My main aim for the hunt was guiding a couple of keen young danish friends, but I was never going to be unarmed, having been a bow hunter for some time now with compound but reasonably recently with a recurve bow. We were booked in to fly with James Scott to the karangarua but with a crappy forecast for the week we flagged it and headed east, we found an easy to access walk in spot near Lake Pukaki for a shortened trip. A reasonable number of bulls were seen but they were hard work to catch up with really. Day 3 I managed to get 1 of my mates onto a 12+ inch bull that he duly shot. So we happened to be dropping back down from high up  yakking and laughing when a young bull was seen going over a small spur around the face we were descending and as I had the bow with me and plenty of time I followed up where it was last seen, it unfolded quickly, as I crested the ridge the young bull had its head down feeding behind a rock but with his body exposed and was none the wiser that i was a mere 5m away, I wasted little time in getting an arrow in behind his ribs, exactly where I was intending to put it, which exited in front of his off side front leg, he ran forward and dropped over the edge and out of sight, I was first speechless at what had just occurred, but incredibly excited too, in no more than 30 seconds I heard the bull fall down with a thud and a shower of gravel into an easily retrievable spot below, next came some full noise swearing and yahooing and fist pumping as it sank in what I had achieved, I had the bow with me on this trip but at best I thought I might get some close encounters or possible opportunities, but little thought had gone into actually my chances of arrowing a tahr first trip with the recurve, although there was every possibility it could happen. Then on the 5th day our other mate downed a nice shaped bull tahr with his rifle too so a  successful trip all round. I'm far from an experienced traditional archer but luckily found myself in the right place at the right time to take full advantage of my first recurve big game animal opportunity. With a respectable 9 inch bull and a few tastie meals to boot.

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: recurved bull tahr
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2019 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Congratulations on that first and hardest! Heres hoping you have many more.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2019 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Well done.  Smiley

Excellent wee write up too.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2019 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
thanx shanksie and headcase.  i hope to back it up with another species before too long, a few days after the tahr hunt i was amongst a mob of pigs from little to big but in shifting winds and in fern and scrub all i got was glimpses as they ran around grunting and squealing making their escape. actually how the story goes is i was out on my uncles farm with the danes looking for a handy pig or goat, nothing showed much for a hour or so of driving around until a couple of fat little roasting dish size pigs were spotted, 1 of them was shot but others that we hadnt seen legged it into a fenced off native gully, because we could hear them mooching around still i thought i would head in there with the bow, i was surrounded by pigs at times, then after they had mostly departed i looked up the gully further and saw a good boar heading out the back door in the opposite direction to were everything else had departed. i shouted out to the guys who had already seen it but werent sure where i was, but once they knew i was out of the way they opened up on it with their 270's. it took a couple of shots which slowed it down but a finisher was needed, after gutting it and dragging it down to the truck a comment was made that it took a 2 legged kiwi dog to head into the thick stuff to find a decent hog, lol. it weighed something like 120lbs.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - May 21st, 2019 at 11:17am
Print Post  

Good going with that tahr - I can imagine the 'buzz' you got.

IP Logged

Deathwind
Donor Member

Keen hunter

Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2019 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Well done with the bow

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #6 - May 27th, 2019 at 7:49am
Print Post  
Bloody good effort downing a tahr with the bow.You make your own luck mate,climbing around our mountain tops down here is not easy.Enjoy your tahr curry. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

boomthump
Donor Member

hunt high

Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Instinct shooting like that is the most exciting hunting,recurves are a lethal weapon,true bow hunting,well done.

Up high the tahr grazed,the sun sank low,a river roared in the distance.We sat there,just the two of us,the mountain and I.
IP Logged

highcountry

Preserve our game animals,
join NZDA

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Awesome mate. Well done. Hope to do i t myself one day.

IP Logged

recurveaddict
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 8:36am
Print Post  
well done!
hunting tahr with a recurve is an amazing experience.

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
What an awesome achievement. Well done.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Reply #11 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
having another crack on the west coast early august, with 2 compound shooters. hope we dont pick the same area as any bloody tahr culling operations.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards