Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Thermal imaging (Read 1131 times)
tantrim
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Thermal imaging
May 15th, 2019 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Does any one know about thermal imaging, looking for something that can be used in the bush during the day for picking up deer up to 100m , don't want to spend a fortune

IP Logged

fat ninja

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Thermal imaging
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2019 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Have a talk to Fraser at owl optics

IP Logged

Tasbay

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2019 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Minimum about $3000 for the commercial gear. $14000 was minimum for the gear I could import. They do eat batteries.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2019 at 11:07am
Print Post  
And you need to tip over a shitload of veni, day after day, month after month, to pay for that sort of kit Huh

IP Logged

tantrim
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2019 at 11:31am
Print Post  
That's what I was thinking, didn't think they were that  (deer)

IP Logged

fat ninja

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2019 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
You can get some cheap stuff. I wouldn’t waste my time with it tho, you get what you pay for.

IP Logged

Tasbay

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2019 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Sold a bit of thermal over the years but never saw the need to switch from NV to thermal. Always considered NV to just be more practical and versatile. Still use PVS-7 goggles and get around 100 - 150 hours use out of 2AA batteries compared to 1 hour from a $13 CR123 battery for a thermal FLIR Breach monocular. As usual its the hidden costs the sellers don`t tell you about.

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2019 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
in my experience using thermal in the bush during the day would be a waste of time, they dont work so well unless its  cold and even if you do pick up an animal it may still be behind a lot of bush that you cant see through, perhaps learning to bush hunt would be a better use of your time, learn to identify where animals tend to hang out and why, then all you have to do is sneak about slowly into the wind and bingo, plus as others have said they cost a shit load

IP Logged

10-Ring
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
awaterelad wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 8:59pm:
in my experience using thermal in the bush during the day would be a waste of time, they dont work so well unless its  cold and even if you do pick up an animal it may still be behind a lot of bush that you cant see through, perhaps learning to bush hunt would be a better use of your time, learn to identify where animals tend to hang out and why, then all you have to do is sneak about slowly into the wind and bingo, plus as others have said they cost a shit load

The amount of deer we get bush hunting with Pulsar thermal imagers vs not using them is a real eye opener. You'd be surprised at how many deer you walk past in the bush and never see. Especially good on Japs in heavily hunted areas like Clements Road. You hardly ever see the whole animal just parts that have an intense white glow. Very hard to pick up in the scope at times too. You just have to be patient and normally you'll pick up with the scope a head looking straight at you. Of course normal firearm safety and you must be sure it's deer you're shooting at beyond all possible doubt.

Most of the experienced guys 50 years and older in my area use them and most would go out and buy a replacement unit the next day if they lost their one or severely damaged it. Having said that they're damned expensive for what they are and it would be hard for a young hunter with a few kids and a mortgage to do that or buy one in the first place. It won't make you a better hunter but it will certainly locate a lot more deer in the bush for you.

‘the price of freedom is eternal vigilance’

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards