Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The important Tallies. (Read 9113 times)
Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

The important Tallies.
May 5th, 2019 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Hey guys, Im going to try something here, not sure though if Ill get the message right but will try.

Like many of you, I have  a real passion for bird shooting. Its taken me from a kid interested only in how many ducks I could shoot, through to planting trees, rearing birds, becoming a F&G councillor and creating wetlands all as part of that passion.
Part of that includes taking notice of what or who effect our sport. In this case Im talking about the antis and public perception.  Each year Safe run out the same tired crap about us wounding birds and leaving them to a horrible death. Against that it seems seldom do I see recognition in the media of the massive areas of wetland protection and creation funded solely by hunters. Work that benefits not just our game birds, but many other species and the environment in general.

Despite it being crap, It did start me thinking and wishing to improve and be the most ethical gamebird harvester I could. I found the best way I could start that process was self evaluation and I do that each season. That starts with a simple tallie. Keep in mind a tallie is not just what you have killed but inputs against outputs so to speak.
For me that means taking note of shots fired, misses, number of birds killed and number unrecovered.
Then I ask myself if I am happy with the result, where am I not happy, or where i could improve.

The last 5 years of doing this has seen a big improvement so thought Id share that with you, tell a bit about my weekend and give the results and my conclusions.
Then if anyone else wants to share theirs that would be great! including what they thought they did well, and what they could do better.

Opening day is one of those special days for me. I cant really describe why. Many of the joys are quite intangible. As I get older it has  become a dearer experience. A lot to do with My growing passion for building wetlands/Habitat etc. Among the other highlights of spending time with friends, the anticipation of waiting for opening, the hunting and putting in to practice the skills learnt over years. To name a few easy ones.
It only comes about once a year, so you can imagine the sinking feeling I felt a few days before hand when I noticed a sore throat starting. By friday night I must have looked like I felt, because I got told by a couple of people I should stay at home.... Not going to happen as I put so much into that weekend through the year.
At 5am, feeling like shit and only having managed 3 hours sleep I did consider it though, before finding my resolve and stepping out of bed.
As I walked to my mornings pond, I quietly stopped feeling sorry for myself and accepted the situation. I decided that i could not expect to be on top form and not to get upset if I missed, or missed opportunities. Instead I decided to take it easy and not expect too much, just take the shots i felt comfortable with.
The first shots were at a drake dipping in and flaring out on a dummy run. I missed both barrels and tried not to be to disappointed. The next two shots were a double rise which helped. After that I moved to go set up some parries decoys in another spot.
The weather was fantastically fine and warm which is not perfect, but I was secretly thankful for that for once.
The rest of the weekend went by at a blur. I don't need to give a blow by blow account as the previous paragraphs serve to set the scene.

So Sunday afternoon and Im sitting here writing this instead of doing an evening shoot. Not because I don’t feel well, but because I had a great time and was happy with my effort and didn’t feel the need to shoot more ducks.
Low lite, being crook.
High lite, Seeing the first Scaup on the farm in more than 30 years, and also seeing a Spotless Craike. There quite a few here but seeing one is another thing.

Shots fired— 45
Misses —     7
Second shots used on mine or others birds as finishers — 6 ( I don’t class these as wounded as they are killed either before or just after they hit the ground.)
Wounded birds not recovered —1
Birds killed —31
wounding rate—  a bit over 3%

So Im pretty happy with that. last year my wounding rate was 4%
What i did well this year was recognise I wasn’t 100% and chose hunting sites where ranges were comfortable. I also chose to let more birds land and shoot them after putting them off, rather than shooting them on approach which I do prefer, perhaps incorrectly for sporting reasons.
What could I have done better? Most of my misses were in the last 20 minutes when it was pretty dark. I know I wasn’t picking them up properly and was reverting to snap shooting at  close object’s without swinging through or getting a good line. I should have packed it in earlier and actually  I didn’t gain much at all from staying that last little bit. 1 bird to be precise.
The bird that got away, I did not give enough lead, a back leg dropped. When I make a mistake in good light, 9 times out of 10 its not enough lead!

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: The important Tallies.
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2019 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
3 of us...1 novice with about 10 rounds of shotgun under his belt + my 21 yr old daughter along as observer for first time.
3 possums from camp friday night
ended up with 23 mallards
5 parries (all pick ups from other shooters)
2 spoonies (one a pick up)
so our usual 30 birds for weekend
wounding ISNT an issue with steel...I know as spend most of weekend out in dingy hooning around looking for woundies and keeping birds moving for others.
the 2 grey and 2 black teal seen wounded or floating WERE an issue...I gave one group of SHOOTERS a quiet polite word about it.....8 in one maimai. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
no longer holding a warrent that was all I could do.
a great weekend had by all.

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2019 at 8:34am
Print Post  
42 for the weekend .best opening in the swamp for a long time.plenty of birds around and noted our pond was the flight line this time .much to the disappointment of our camera crew neighbours.

IP Logged

DHDS (Deerhunter Duckshooter)
Forum Senior

I Love inspirational quotes

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2019 at 6:57am
Print Post  

Sorry it has taken so long to reply, it is a lot to think about especially when you have not being taking the tallies on the day. Something to do next year, or even this Thursday. Margin of error is high, but best guess.
Two shooters

Shots fired— 43
Misses —     15
Second shots used on mine or others birds as finishers — 11( I don’t class these as wounded as they are killed either before or just after they hit the ground.)
Wounded birds not recovered —1
Birds killed —17
wounding rate—  5.8%

IP Logged

mawzer308
Donor Member

big bore

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2019 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Opening weekend Manawatu:

6 Mallards
4 Pukeko
2 Greys
2 Parries
1 Turkey

10/5/19

6 Mallards

13/5/19

1 Mallard

Speed is thrilling, Diameter does the killing.

IP Logged

Forum Senior

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2019 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Easy one Thursday night.

Shots fired— 3
Misses —     1
Second shots used on mine or others birds as finishers —0
Wounded birds not recovered —0
Birds killed —2
wounding rate— 0%

Three ducks flew in one shot dropped the first, one flew left one flew right.
Swung left to take that duck, but was already thinking about the third duck so didn't swing far enough and I knew I was going to miss. Slowed down and folded the third out to the right with the third shot.

Happy Mai Mai

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2019 at 8:03am
Print Post  
Awesome! Great pic of getting out with the family.

Its thinking about those missed shots, rather than ignoring them, or concentrating on the number of birds killed/remembering only the good shots, that helps you do better next time in my view.

IP Logged

mawzer308
Donor Member

big bore

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2019 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Have recorded proper data on last two hunts with 28 gauge.

18/05/19

Shots fired 6
misses 2
Second shots used as finishers 0
Wounded birds not recovered 0
Birds killed 4
Wounding rate 0%
Hit rate 66.6%

19/5/19

Shots fired 4
Misses 1
Second shots used as finishers 0
Birds killed 2 (and 1 rabbit)
Wounding rate 0%
Hit rate 75%

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2019 at 8:25am
Print Post  
Thats awesome going with the 28!

One of the good things about those little gauges is that in general you either kill or miss. Not a huge pattern area covered.
When you do miss, is there something you can identify as to why?

IP Logged

mawzer308
Donor Member

big bore

Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2019 at 9:56am
Print Post  
More often than not as you stated earlier, it is not enough lead. Another thing about the 28 gauge even though it has a lot less shot compared to 12 gauge, the pellets are still traveling at the same velocity therefore have the same energy, it goes without saying as long as you are on it will do the job out to sensible ranges. I use Gamebore 19gm no.6 which has roughly 150 pellets and Eley 24gm no.7 shot which has about 260 pellets. More than enough to do the job. The Gamebore load has been excellent on decoying ducks out to 30yds.

I have only just bought the 28 gauge this season so these are my limited observations so far.

IP Logged

Forum Senior

Reply #10 - May 23rd, 2019 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Copied and paste from last Thursday. Classic stuff.

Shots fired— 3
Misses —     1
Second shots used on mine or others birds as finishers —0
Wounded birds not recovered —0
Birds killed —2
wounding rate— 0%

We were standing on the edge of the pond, had been for a couple of minutes,  suddenly a duck broke from cover neither of us were expecting it to. Mate said "ohh". I told him that is why he shot above a folded duck.

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2019 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Turkey with the bow:

Shots fired 4
misses 0
Second shots used as finishers 1
Birds killed 3
Wounding rate 0%
Hit rate 100%, or is it 130% Smiley

IP Logged

mawzer308
Donor Member

big bore

Reply #12 - May 26th, 2019 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Shots fired 1
Misses 0
Second shots as finishers 0
Birds killed 1
Wounding rate 0
Hit rate 100%

IP Logged

mallardbuster
Forum Font

Bad day hunting beats
a good day working

Reply #13 - May 30th, 2019 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Shots fired 7
Misses 2
Second shot as finisher 0
Birds killed 5
Wounded birds 0
Hit rate 70%
Wink Wink

IP Logged

Forum Senior

Reply #14 - May 30th, 2019 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Good work Mallardbuster. Was that an evening shoot.
Unfortunately I am not going to make it for my usual Thursday night shoot. The kids will be dissatisfied.
100% Mauser308 did you just hit first shot and then come home to write it up.😀
Turkey with a bow, that could have a lot of meanings. 🤔😀

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards