Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Big weekend roar mission (Read 1376 times)
Kaboomfa

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Big weekend roar mission
May 1st, 2019 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Late March saw myself my partner and my dog head up to an area Ive hunted a few times in st James. Id planned to walk in in the dark but we were delayed leaving then further delayed by a car crash in weka pass that happened just ahead of us which meant we didnt arrive at the car park till 11 so we just slept in the car.

Saturday we ended up walking much further than I have been before without seeing a single animal or much sign for that matter. Eventually we ended up at the base of a little side gully that had some bush in it and some fresh sign in the streambed. After setting up the tent not long before dark we climbed up so we had a good view into the gully and started glassing. I finally picked up our first animal for the day just above a small patch of bush. On closer inspection it turned out to be a decent stag. With the light fading and the stag being about 1km away I didnt think Id have time to attempt a stalk that night. Out of a curiosity I let out a roar. To my surprise the stag immediately replied and trotted back down into the bush. Grabbing my gun I literally ran in his direction after realising if he came a couple hundred metres this way and I did the same Id be in range. However he never emerged from the other side of the bush. In hindsight I realise hed probably run back to his girls holed up in the patch of bush. We walked back to camp without headtorches under the bright moon light.

6am we were up and headed back to where the stag was last seen. Roaring came down the gully confirming we was still in the area however we didnt reply not wanting to give our position away too early. Still under the cover of darkness we positioned ourselves within shooting range of his patch of bush and waited as the darkness gave way to light. Once it was light enough to see I set myself up to shoot and gave a roar. He immediately replied but nothing emerged from the bush. This continued for 30 mins or so and his replies became less frequent and died to nothing as the sun came over the hill. I felt our chance was slipping away and our only option was to head up there. So we quietly crept up to the bush edge and headed up the side. I knew we must close now. With nothing to lose I let out a quiet moan. His reaction was immediate. A loud angry roar sounded from very close by. I loaded my rifle and threw my pack down. Seconds later I heard sticks breaking and he ran out into the open 20m away. I was ready and dropped him on the spot bringing an end to one hell of an exciting hunt where it all came together in the end. He turned out to be a decent 9 pointer almost 35 inches long and definitely had a bit of age on him. We were a bloody long way from the car but I hate wasting meat and being very early in the roar he was still in good nick so I boned out the whole lot plus the head and staggered back down into the main valley.

Looking at the map I realised there was a quicker route out to the road than the way we came in however we would come out 12kms away from where we had parked. We decided to take the gamble hoping wed be able to hitch a ride back up the road. Long story short it took a lot longer than expected with 30kg of venison on board and we finally stumbled onto the road at 8pm with no cars in sight Grin hiding our packs in the bush we hit the road arriving back at the truck at 11pm with a 3 hour drive back to chch after that Cheesy

I'd post a couple photos but cant remember how
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2019 at 1:45pm by Kaboomfa »  

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Re: Big weekend roar mission
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2019 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Good effort Kaboofa.

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2019 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Sounds like a great hunt. Nice when things go how you hope they will. Good on ya for getting all the meat out.

.270 WIN AWESOME SINCE 1925 "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2019 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
agreed,plurry good effort to carry all that venni out,enjoy it,you sure earnt every bite.

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2019 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
The old shorter route, I've been sucked in by that old chestnut to.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2019 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Well done team, good efforts get rewards "sometimes" lol  I think most of us would have been caught out by the "shorter route".  Thanks for sharing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards