Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic best cartridges to reload on a budget (Read 3622 times)
SF90
Ex Member

Re: best cartridges to reload on a budget
Reply #15 - Oct 6th, 2020 at 8:02pm
Print Post  

.54 flintlock - make my own powder, cast my own bullets and will likely get 100 shots from a $2 flint.

Probably works out to 6c per shot.

A .32 flintlock would be cheaper, but I only got the .54.

As for brass, I only shoot Norma and get 20 reloads/case with moderate loads before retiring them - probably double that if I really wanted to. That's out of a 7x57 which is not exactly a high intensity barrel eroding cartridge.

I'm shooting brass I bought a very long time ago at a much cheaper price than it is today - I buy bulk .......... and there's nothing wrong with bulk Remington core-locts which are about the cheapest on the market.

Buy your powder in bulk too - I'm shooting IMR3031 I bought over forty years ago ............. but that's probably getting on a bit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards