Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic best .22 scope (Read 1375 times)
DGA7

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

best .22 scope
Apr 30th, 2019 at 7:22am
Print Post  
Hi guys,

Looking for a good vari power scope for my .22 and replace my old tasco 4x, wanting to dial in ranges out to about 120m and get the best accuracy I can for rabbits, magpies and targets.

Had a search of this forum and old posts were all about the Mueller  4 to14 AO and mention of the Vortex diamond back, cant seem to find a supplier for Mueller, is the Vortex still the best option? looking to spend around $600.

Many thanks

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Re: best .22 scope
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
I would wonder if you need to spend $600 on a dial scope for a 22LR with max 120 meter intended range.

Just poss a bit of overkill here. A basic, reliable 3-9 or 4-12 Nikko or Bushnell Banner etc will do the job to 100m easily - have shot umpteen thousand with this setup. Just shoot them in at 75m and allow a little holdover/under as needed. You can still pop them accurately to 110m  without dial, but if you adjust your intended range down to say 100m - no great change - you'll get just as many and save round $400.  Good second hand Banner might be $150-200 - saw a nice 3-9 Bushnell elite on offer for $200 recently. New Banner 4-12 is $261. And the Nikkos are often under $200 for a 4-12. Both these scopes hold zero well on a 22. Not really diallers, but do you really need one for 120m?

By all means get one if it appeals, but if you drop the range back to 100m, there are good little 22 scopes to do the job for alot less.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
PS - we used Mueller APV 4-14s quite alot 10 years ago but not around much now. Good scopes. 

After bench testing round 100 sporter 22s on the range I found that basic scopes could do the accuracy job very well on a 22LR.  For example the best test result for a standard barrel sporter 22  - four consecutive groups at 100 meters averaging 0.6" - was with a little rifle wearing a Kilwell Huntsman 3-9! They don't get much cheaper than that.  Smiley  And best at 50 meters averaging 0.29" for four 5 shot groups wore a little 3-9x Tasco - and still does!

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #3 - May 1st, 2019 at 6:53am
Print Post  
mudgripz wrote on Apr 30th, 2019 at 4:42pm:
I would wonder if you need to spend $600 on a dial scope for a 22LR with max 120 meter intended range.

Just poss a bit of overkill here. A basic, reliable 3-9 or 4-12 Nikko or Bushnell Banner etc will do the job to 100m easily - have shot umpteen thousand with this setup. Just shoot them in at 75m and allow a little holdover/under as needed. You can still pop them accurately to 110m  without dial, but if you adjust your intended range down to say 100m - no great change - you'll get just as many and save round $400.  Good second hand Banner might be $150-200 - saw a nice 3-9 Bushnell elite on offer for $200 recently. New Banner 4-12 is $261. And the Nikkos are often under $200 for a 4-12. Both these scopes hold zero well on a 22. Not really diallers, but do you really need one for 120m?

By all means get one if it appeals, but if you drop the range back to 100m, there are good little 22 scopes to do the job for alot less.

+1

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

DGA7

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2019 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Sounds good thanks for the update Mudgrips, I think it was your posts from about 2011 I was reading, I changed the 4x tasco on my bruno mod2 which was very accurate to an old 6x m8 Leupold I used to have on my .222 magnum and just cant get it to group at all, maybe a parallax issue or could be something else.

Do you really need to get a .22 scope with paralax adjustment or to 50m rather than the standard 100?

Glad I'm not having to spend $600 thanks Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #5 - May 1st, 2019 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
If rifle was shooting well with old Tasco, then poorly with 6X Loopy it could be the scope. But check first for any setup changes - are rings properly/firmly seated on scope and rail, are bedding screw pressures right esp screw in front of trigger guard - experiment with it tighter and looser. Then strip clean barrel and try fresh batch ammo, and make sure barrel sitting evenly in channel when tightening bedding screw - not slightly off to one side.  Was loopy shooting accurately on previous rifle - if so then its likely some setup change causing probs.

For 0-100m 22LR shooting, people sometimes over think, over spec the equipment. They spend alot of coin for expensive 22s and optics. That's ok -  but it isn't necessary. A sharp shooting little rifle - half inch groups or less at 50m - and a reliable scope that holds zero will do the job extremely well. With scopes you don't need AO adjustable objective for 100m field shooting. Fixed parallax fine. If shooting lots you won't have time to adjust parallax every bunny, but if shooting just a few and you have time to settle and take each shot, then AO fine. Yes theoretically AO should be better on range, but in reality I find no real result difference with fixed/AO on rifles at that short 100m range. So no wrong answer - both scopes good.

I may know of a couple of quite reasonable 22 scopes. One is a Nikko Panamax 3-9x40 for $140 I think, and another is a better Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 for $200 - 450 new. Or you can buy a new 4-12x AO Bushnell Banner for $261 at Outdoor Supplies - all handy scopes:

https://www.outdoorsupplies.co.nz/bushnell.htm

IP Logged

DGA7

Reply #6 - May 1st, 2019 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks so much for your time, I know I'm getting great real life feedback from your proven experience, greatly appreciate that and the groups you are quoting are  amazing.

I changed 2 things the scope and the silencer, didn't change the mounting only the upper rings, will have a better play tomorrow and make sure nothing weird is happening, the leupold scope was a great scope but fogged when hunting years ago and got sent away and fixed under warranty and this the first time I've put in back on a rifle since my 222 mag.

I've got a 20 acre life style block in central north island that is rabbit infested and I love sniping so may go AO for fun because shooting suppressed .22 at 100 odd meters and hitting the target is as good as lifestyle block shooting can get.

Your groups have given me inspiration and am going to spend some time and effort getting things right, thanks again Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2019 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Try rifle with and without new silencer too. At times they can affect grouping positively or negatively, and sometimes you get clipping - where round actually touches exit hole in silencer making groups quite erratic. Happy to help - Brno2 a fine little 22.

IP Logged

10-Ring
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
DGA7 wrote on May 1st, 2019 at 9:16am:
Sounds good thanks for the update Mudgrips, I think it was your posts from about 2011 I was reading, I changed the 4x tasco on my bruno mod2 which was very accurate to an old 6x m8 Leupold I used to have on my .222 magnum and just cant get it to group at all, maybe a parallax issue or could be something else.

Do you really need to get a .22 scope with paralax adjustment or to 50m rather than the standard 100?

Glad I'm not having to spend $600 thanks Smiley Smiley

I use a Leupold Fx-II 6x36 on my 1973 Anschutz 1422 and have no trouble with rabbits out to 100m and a little more if I get the holdover right. Used to have Leupold 4-12x 40 AO on that rifle and much prefer the 6x.

The fixed Leupold is very easy to correct for parallax if you know what you're doing. I live in Tokoroa, 2 mins from the range and can adjust the parallax on your Leupold scope to whatever distance you want if you're down this way.

‘the price of freedom is eternal vigilance’

IP Logged

DGA7

Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 7:48am
Print Post  
Thanks for the offer 10ring, all sorted now, the shots were slightly clipping the new silencer and the 6x is working great, 100 yard groups improving but not down to .5 yet!!

IP Logged

10-Ring
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
DGA7 wrote on Jun 7th, 2019 at 7:48am:
Thanks for the offer 10ring, all sorted now, the shots were slightly clipping the new silencer and the 6x is working great, 100 yard groups improving but not down to .5 yet!!

Pleased to hear it. There would be very few .22 LR sporting rifles that would consistently shoot .5" at 100 yards. My two Anschutz rifles (1422 and 1712 - both Match 54 actions) will do it but only with expensive match ammo like Tennex or Lapua Midas. That's on a dead calm day when I haven't had too much coffee to drink too.

‘the price of freedom is eternal vigilance’

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #11 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
You don't need a fancy scope to shoot 100m groups at the range in daylight, you just need one that holds zero.  You need a scope with decent optics to see a rabbit under the gloom of a spotlight or at dawn or dusk.  How much you need that capacity is between you and your wallet.  I would just get the best model of a name brand that you can afford.  I like leupold but there are many other good ones out there.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #12 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
M8 6x that has been back through factory will be an absolute AWESOME scope for your .22
funny how suppressor made the difference...Im now shooting my .22lr bare as found with sunsonic 42grn winchester its plurry near as quiet...certainly not a scary loud bang...
oh and my rifle wears a m8 4x as do two of my centrefires Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards