Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The old Carbon cleaning question (Read 493 times)
Gibson
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

The old Carbon cleaning question
Apr 29th, 2019 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
I need a little carbon in my rifle for it to shoot well. I use a muzzle brake which is put on (like a suppressor) only for long shots.

I hunt most weekends, so need my rifle to be on point all the time.

How long do you guys leave the carbon in the bore before cleaning out? X no. of rounds; or X amount of time; or both

I keep hearing (and reading) about people putting fouling shots through before a hunt but this just isn't practical to let a round rip on public land every time I go into the hills (most weekends)

Tips welcome Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2019 at 7:51pm by Gibson »  

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: The old Carbon cleaning question
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
I've read of people who don't clean their bore at all, unless it gets wet or shows signs of copper fouling.

I'm not one of them - but it could be worth doing an Internet search on the subject.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 9:34am
Print Post  
If you run a suppressor on your rifle, you can indeed foul a clean bore just before a hunt. I used to do it with rounds made for the job. Old powder and projos I no longer wished to fire at animals, made up into a mild load, scribbled all over the cartridge in red felt pen so not to be confused with a hunting round.  Once you hit your hunting area, suppressor resting on soft grassy ground, pull trigger. Sounds like someone hit the ground with a hammer. A dull thud. Someone 50m away would not know you fired your rifle. Not necessary for short range bush shooting, but when heading into long distance shooting countryside and every little bit helps.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #3 - May 1st, 2019 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
I am lucky in that all the CF rifles I presently own shoot to point of aim from a cold clean barrel .
I once treated the barrel on a very accurate Sako 22 Hornet that I used every weekend with a Teflon based barrel treatment made by Tetra in the hope I'd not need to clean it regularly. It shot all over the place unless I fired a fouler shot . So I left it dirty for a couple of months and about 20 shots , Then I cleaned it and found the barrel had very mild pitting , so I sold it .
I have never put teflon/ptfe oils near my rifle bores since then , great for actions but not bores.

There are many different ideas about barrel run in and cleaning . If you don't have a proven method then  all I can say is go with the manufacturers recommendations.

I wipe the  the bore with a damp patch with Hoppes No9 . leaving the bore wet if I am using a rifle regularly or on a trip then wipe it clean with  a dry patch before I go out .

You could try wiping out the oil in the bore with a patch dipped in a solvent like brake cleaner,gun scrubber  or even meths to remove any oil traces .

It may be that your rifles throat is a bit rough from when it was chambered and a careful, professional, polish will remove the high spots .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Bagheera
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2019 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
I prefer to store and carry my rifle, having patched it through with a waterproofing oil the with tight dry patches so the bore has a very fine film of oil and won't rust.  I think carbon fouling will attract a little moisture and certainly doesn't protect from rust.  While out in the bush I actually just use the oil and dry patch and don't take a carbon solvent with me.  I clean for carbon at the end of each days shooting or hunting trip.  I accept the variation in carbon as a minor probably ignorable factor in my shooting.

Have you done enough testing to analyse whether your rifle shoots tighter groups after X rounds down the barrel or whether its that a first cold clean bore shot is really a significant distance from your last hot and dirty mean point of impact on the range ?  The ideal solution would be if you could verify that your cold clean bore shot is actually close enough to your sight in groups. If it's truly different but consistent you could even allow for it.  Then you could clean the barrel after each hunt and keep your bore free of rust.

IP Logged

Gibson
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2019 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies.

I've now worked out a system and learned something new after a visit to the range today.

Last weekend while I was in the bush, I let off a couple of fouling shots, without the muzzle brake. When I got home, I just used some bore tech gun oil and one pass with bronze brush, then oil patches and stored it fouled.

This morning I went down to the range after wiping the oil out of the barrel. First shot was on the money.

In future, i'll zero before big trips or when necessary with the muzzle brake, clean with my solvent, put a couple foulers through without the brake, store with oil. This is just what works for this rifle. Its been a long road, because I had been using a carbon cutter to clean the rifle but the solvent seemed to remove some of the copper as well which has been causing all my problems with the first shot fliers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards