Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Killing Cats (Read 8261 times)
headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Killing Cats
Apr 28th, 2019 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Heres an interesting article. Got a bit of everything in it. Pest control, bow hunting, 1080, the reaction of the human population at large, and best of all, killing wild cats.

The Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology’s data showed that shooters were responsible for 83 percent of feral-cat deaths nationally in the first year of Australia’s efforts. Most of the shooters carry guns, not bows, but most are, .....

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/25/magazine/australia-cat-killing.html

I came across a pride of cats not long ago tucked in under the scruby hillside on the edge of a lucern paddock where lots of rabbits gather.

Was usuing a thermal and at 100m it was hard to make out what the glowing moving mass was exactly. Moved up to about 50 meters and the image resolved itself in enough detail to make out about 15 cats of various sizes laying close and sometimes on top of each other in the long grass. They were pretty relaxed but was well aware of my presence. Guess they were resting up, sleeping and cleaning themselves. Must have been mothers, auntys, and young cats all in a bundle. There were already quite a lot of shot rabbits strewn over the paddock below them and bet they had the smell of blood in the breeze tickling their faces, so not in a hurry to move off at all, despite the rather loud crack of the Savage A17 semi auto the thermal was mounted on.. what an oppurtunity. Two full mags at hand and sitting comfortabley on a quad with a good shooting platform up front.. The only worry was, which one to shoot first.

I decided on the larger one, with what looked like a lot of kittens or young cats around it. As the whole group were all bunched up together it was pretty much standard ''bunny'' shooting starting at one side of a group and moving one at a time to the other.

Must have been mum that got the first shot as bout 5 or six small ones tried to get in even closer to her and were obviously confused enough to hang around, so the tactics changed and I moved to the left and started shooting the remaining members of the pride. They also seemed to be totally confused, for cats, what with the shots coming out of the dark rapid fire, they all went down.

I then went back to the younger ones at moms side, which was a pittifull thing, but they are wild cats and every one of them had suddenly lived its nine lives.. bit less than two mags later and less than a minute or so and the dirty work was done.

Never seen anything like it. Often enough youll see 2 or 3 sneaking around near to each other but this was quite a suprise. They are well gone.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Killing Cats
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 6:32am
Print Post  
They are bloody bad in WA,  I would hate to know how many we shot in the 3 yrs we lived there but would be the high hundreds mayby just over a thousand. used to shot 50+ every outing and the dogs would get a couple a week,  and about once a month me and the wife would hear a horrible squawk from our gilar cocky and rush outside,  sometimes a cat on the porch but a few times they would have our parrot freind through the cage  Angry

an interesting observation was the 1st year I was there there were not very many around even tho there had been a 2 or 3 year mouse plague with abundant food, but foxes were plentifull would get 100+ a night 5 cats would be alot, we smashed the population and the boss was stoked as the lamb survival almost doubled  Shocked but unintended consequence we had removed cats predators and they exploded  Undecided

duno what its like there now as that was 10yr ago and have been a few mouse plagues since.

IP Logged

possum_shooter
Forum Senior

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 7:46am
Print Post  
I came across a large female with about 7 or 8 little ones a few years ago up Hyde way.  What I found interesting was the kittens eye shine was a bright blue compared to the typical green.
Once mum had been taken care of the kittens didn't know what to do and were easily cleaned up.
Wild cats are certainly my favourite small game animal to knock over as well.

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
A few yrs ago HC and I were out one night moon lighting,we came across  5 wild cats,some 3/4 grown.HCs  243 was the order of the night.Well cats were exploding everywhere.HC doesn't miss much. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Best ever cat shot was a few years ago: Had stopped the truck to tip over a couple of hares @ 2 hundy or so. Had just stood up from leaning over the bonnet dropping them and heard a scurry across the gravel behind us. Black cat @20m making a break for it. Pivoted the  .308 around on the hip and fired instinctively. Cat finished its dash to the far side of the road in two pieces Huh  Made up for about 5 years of misses Cool Cool Cool

I've always found cats eyes to shine back bluey white, instead of green? I've come across them way high too. 1400m.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Grin Grin Amazing what you do on pure reflex action without thinking about is too much.. just instinct.  I find when I hesitate for some reason before taking the shot it often ends in a cockup.
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2019 at 7:36pm by headcase »  

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #6 - May 1st, 2019 at 10:48am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Apr 30th, 2019 at 9:08pm:
Grin Grin Amazing what you do on pure reflex action without thinking abiout is too much.. just instict.  I find when I hesitate for some reason before taking the shot it often ends in a cockup.

Back on the bunnie board days,Central Otago one would be down the road pretty smart if a boss happened ti see a rabbiter   scone a feral cat while out on the job. They kept the bunnies at bay.
Bird life was thick on the ground and everywhere else in those days also. No hipe over a pussy like there is tiday Roll Eyes

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2019 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Some of the places I work am told dont shoot the cats. Most want them gone too. Yes they knock of a few young ones but they are also killing of any other small thing like frogs, and lizards. I think they are better gone..

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2019 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
That was a great article HC.  Are you happy with the A17?  I am in the market for a semi auto rimfire and a nice bolt action 223...

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #9 - May 3rd, 2019 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Hi Massive.. I've gone back to a bolt action of late because of jamming issues using that a17 ammo you found the many split cases on.  Just couldn't seem to beat the problem so the gun..my second of this model is sitting in the corner..so to speak.  I'm liking the bolt action at the mo because of better feed reliability and way quieter.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2019 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Ferals are brutal on pheasants. They get lead any time I see them.

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #11 - May 3rd, 2019 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
how often you cleaning the a17 HC?  mates one was doing it bad with any ammo and was cleaning the blood and bita crc after petfood nights,  stopped doing it and after a brick of ammo it came right he gave it a clean a few weeks ago and 1st mag after that it started jamming again

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #12 - May 4th, 2019 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Started cleaning it every 300 rounds with the A17 ammo. Thought the ammo itself and the powder might be the problem. The the so called ''blowback'' system they have developed seems to leave  residue of tiny round balls of unburned granules, which finds  its ways into all parts including the trigger. Paid particular attention to the breach itself too and the bolt face and bits and pieces.. nothing worked. After 100 rounds it seemed to start giving problems.. and then big time.. I think there is a problem, one of them, with the long spring which applys forward pressure on the block. Im thinking that its spiral form when fully compressed actually catchs on the end of the tube it moves in.. you can feel it..

Have given up for the moment, but might have another go at it. The gun was sure a helluva lot of fun to use when it was running smoothly.

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2019 at 8:58am by headcase »  

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

Reply #13 - May 9th, 2019 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
EC wrote on May 1st, 2019 at 10:48am:
headcase wrote on Apr 30th, 2019 at 9:08pm:
Grin Grin Amazing what you do on pure reflex action without thinking abiout is too much.. just instict.  I find when I hesitate for some reason before taking the shot it often ends in a cockup.

Back on the bunnie board days,Central Otago one would be down the road pretty smart if a boss happened ti see a rabbiter   scone a feral cat while out on the job. They kept the bunnies at bay.
Bird life was thick on the ground and everywhere else in those days also. No hipe over a pussy like there is tiday Roll Eyes

Yeah, I leave them alone as well. Feral cats live almost entirely on rodents and young rabbits.

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #14 - May 9th, 2019 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
I whacked them over. Still do.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards