Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Killing Cats (Read 6836 times)
Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Re: Killing Cats
Reply #30 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
I do not understand how any thinking outdoors person can let three wild cats go.  Frankly I think that is a ridiculous thing to do.  I have lived in rural N.Z. for thirty years now.  My property is about trees, birds and animals.  The curse is cats moving in from adjoining subdivision housing. I will kill every cat that I can.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #31 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Carlsen Highway wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 5:17pm:

Just drive from Dunedin to Te Anau, and all you see is farmland.
But farming is fine. 

Just drive from Albany to Drury, and all you see is brick and concrete, the reason why we need that farmland for.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #32 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
No farming, no food, no people. Simple equation.

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

Reply #33 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
XRhunter wrote on Jul 5th, 2019 at 7:05pm:
No farming, no food, no people. Simple equation.

I have swapped some comments with you on this site and always respected what you input, then I read this comment and thought what the heck what a ridiculous comment. He is broken.
Then I read the previous comments,  have to say I see where you are coming from and agree with your comment in context.

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

Reply #34 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Carlsen Highway wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 5:17pm:
I let three go so far this year. Smiley

Actually it amazes me that people get so riled up about cats, deer pigs etc when it comes to wrecking the native enviroment.
Just drive from Dunedin to Te Anau, and all you see is farmland.
People are the scourge. We have changed the face of 90% of this country and turned in into pasture.
But farming is fine. 

Weird thinking there,
Would you let people go if you trapped them.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #35 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Yeah, should have added a tad more context. And even as a farmer I quite often get riled seeing what is happening around the countryside these days.
But we've been farming for the last 10,000 years. Since moving on from being hunter-gatherers. If we don't farm, there's no food, and people gotta eat something.

Its all about personal perspective. I see value in game animals as I like seeing them in the bush, and they are tasty.  Only a few hundred years ago other hunters would have seen other game animals in the bush, liked seeing them there, and also found them tasty.

I don't see value in cats. Least not in the wild, and most goodie two shoes cat owners don't have the heart to restrain them.
Bang! flop. Amen.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #36 - Jul 6th, 2019 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Grandad wrote on Jul 5th, 2019 at 6:38pm:
I do not understand how any thinking outdoors person can let three wild cats go.  Frankly I think that is a ridiculous thing to do.  I have lived in rural N.Z. for thirty years now.  My property is about trees, birds and animals.  The curse is cats moving in from adjoining subdivision housing. I will kill every cat that I can.

Bravo.. death to all wild cats. Show no mercy.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #37 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
killing cats is too easy,,i got 5 ferrets with one wheel Grin   Grin
talking of wild cats whats happened to gareth morgan..very quiet there

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #38 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Thanks for the link to imgbb Headcase - just seeing if it works - Photobucket has tricked me into making a change - now I cant use it without paying them money - they reckon I have too many images stored - stuff them!
I agree with you Grandad - cats are one of our worst bird predators - they will be doing serious damage around your wet lands
We have likely discussed the issue previously about options to catch cats - I don’t have a lot of success with kill traps but I have had a lot of success with cages - cats will go for most baits with a strong odour as will ferrets - rabbit being the best option but cat food in tins or sachets or a tin of sardines works well
We trap predators around our rural/residential street of 29 houses in the PFBOP system - 125 predators so far this year - mainly rats and quite a few hogs - we soon realised there were large animals around so one guy set a cage - three ferrets so far - yet to catch a cat - the Quail are responding to less predators - often see a flock of 20 around the various property gardens - they know when they are safe
Good work on the ferrets 264Magic - careful you don’t run off the road!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards