Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Killing Cats (Read 8258 times)
headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: Killing Cats
Reply #15 - May 9th, 2019 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Carlsen Highway wrote on May 9th, 2019 at 5:00pm:
EC wrote on May 1st, 2019 at 10:48am:
headcase wrote on Apr 30th, 2019 at 9:08pm:
Grin Grin Amazing what you do on pure reflex action without thinking abiout is too much.. just instict.  I find when I hesitate for some reason before taking the shot it often ends in a cockup.

Back on the bunnie board days,Central Otago one would be down the road pretty smart if a boss happened ti see a rabbiter   scone a feral cat while out on the job. They kept the bunnies at bay.
Bird life was thick on the ground and everywhere else in those days also. No hipe over a pussy like there is tiday Roll Eyes

Yeah, I leave them alone as well. Feral cats live almost entirely on rodents and young rabbits.

Some farmers like them, some dont. Might depend on which area your in too. Round the Mackenzie in the tussock have seldom seen a mouse or rat outside settlements or towns.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - May 9th, 2019 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
I'm not convinced. I open up most cats I shoot: Skinks feature a lot. Also feathers Sad

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #17 - May 12th, 2019 at 9:12am
Print Post  
IMO - cats should be close to the top of the predator list in a rural farm environment - maybe not so in the bush
I have seen plenty of examples of cats stripping Pheasant carcases - they pick them carefully to the last bone - when I had my rural block I would set a cage and get them most times
I live in a rural/residential block of 30 houses so walk the perimeter most days - one resident has a Bengal tiger cat - I often see it hunting the plentiful supply of pukeko - he drags them off and eats them - fairly clean
I trap the local Quarry Park - I had a surprise yesterday to get a kitten in a Snap-e trap - well clamped but probably died slowly - 50m up the track I have a doc250 - another kitten probably died quickly
But there will still be Mum and the rest of the kittens around - I left the kitten on top of the box - so may get another one - I will have to try a low mount sentinel with some meat - I cant use a cage as I don’t want to go up there every day
It has been a good trap site lately with two ferrets in that doc250 in the last few weeks - Mum and then the young one came back to find her 

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #18 - May 12th, 2019 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Good on you Cruz. Dedicated. I also have had a few in rabbit snares.

They must go bananas. If the snare is on a fence line they invariably throw themselves over the bottom or middle strand and hang themselves. Not pretty. Even I have a heart, small and cold, so stopped setting snares. It was becoming a daily occurrence at the time. Numbers have overall been reduced in the Mackenzie or big chunks of it anyway.

Once we would shoot several a night. The areas where this occurred we are lucky t see even one a night now,, maybe one a week. The single small rabbit a cat catches a day is small potatoes against the hundreds of rabbits shot in high density areas shot in a single night.

Same as hedgehogs. Used to see 5-10 a night but of late only at certain times of the year might pick up 1 or 2 in the cross hairs. They have also been reduced to low levels where control work is done. 

If I was not going to shoot anything it would be ferrets as they really do kill heaps, voracious little critters, but they have now gone right back too due to the intensive trapping program though the whole area. That has been responsible for decimating the ferret population. Good job.

Thank goodness we never got foxes as GH talks about. They can carry rabbies which we are blessed not to have in NZ?
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2019 at 4:43pm by headcase »  

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #19 - May 12th, 2019 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
The wee fellas been catching a few around home since all the surrounding areas crops have been harvested and reseeded we see them almost daily. hes got 4 in the last 3weeks along with 3 possums, he gets 5 bux each so its not bad pocket money for a 4 yr old  Smiley  all he wanted for his bday was a possum trap so got a cage one and works good and he can set it himself.

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #20 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Smacked two at the weekend with the 50gr ZMax.

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #21 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
And did they go down quickly with the z max.  Cats are tough more often than not.

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #22 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Jun 5th, 2019 at 5:30pm:
And did they go down quickly with the z max.  Cats are tough more often than not.

First one went down like a sack of spuds. second one leapt in the air and jumped around for a few mins. Missing most of its brains.

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #23 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Every time we go out for a night shoot we prob shoot 5 or 6 heaps of the little critters around atm 223 makes a nice pop

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #24 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 7:36am
Print Post  
Interesting thread this. I need to set the record straight on a couple things.
1. Cats will live off the back of a rabbit population but that does not mean they are not major predators of other native species. Predator numbers (and all animals for that matter) are governed by food availibility. Cats can have a huge impact on lizards in particular. One cat opened up had 32 inside its gut so that was not many days worth. They also eat plenty birds when they can. Some of our native birds spend some time on the ground between nest and flying and cats are well aware of this. What about our little blue penguins? Ouch! Farmers who think they help keep on top of the rabbits are often sadly mistaken. The studies have shown that predators really only have an impact when prey numbers are well down. Outside of that they simply cant keep up. Rabbit numbers are more governed by other environmental factors far more than predation. If you have lots rabbits though you will probably have lots cats and if ferret country, ferrets too. I have done cat jobs for farms to help manage toxo which is a shocker for sheep farmers. I don't know of a farmer here who wants cats left alone. PAPP is proving to be extremely effectice at heavily reducing feral cat numbers when used correctly. Up to 90% reduction post op! Keep your barrels warm. They are a bigger issue than many give them credit for and some of them sleep by the fire. As much as I am not a fan of extra rules and laws we should be requiring all domestic cats to be chipped and de sexed unless a registered breeder. Many ferals live undisturbed near towns etc as people think they belong to someone.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #25 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
the .270 winchester is not too much gun for a cat...mine has accounted for many over the years.
funny the origonal post reminds me of the biggest cats Ive ever seen,out spotlighting possums and rabbits one night we saw 3 cats surrounding rabbits in a dish like depression.got 2 with .22magnum straight away and the 3rd a little while later when dogs got it out of scrub...they were about 3" across between the ears and were definately litter mates hunting together.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #26 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Sneaka wrote on Jun 12th, 2019 at 7:36am:
we should be requiring all domestic cats to be chipped and de sexed

A few of us can offer our services to (lead) chip and desex cats if required..... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #27 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Sneaka wrote on Jun 12th, 2019 at 7:36am:
Interesting thread this. I need to set the record straight on a couple things.
1. Cats will live off the back of a rabbit population but that does not mean they are not major predators of other native species. Predator numbers (and all animals for that matter) are governed by food availibility. Cats can have a huge impact on lizards in particular. One cat opened up had 32 inside its gut so that was not many days worth. They also eat plenty birds when they can. Some of our native birds spend some time on the ground between nest and flying and cats are well aware of this. What about our little blue penguins? Ouch! Farmers who think they help keep on top of the rabbits are often sadly mistaken. The studies have shown that predators really only have an impact when prey numbers are well down. Outside of that they simply cant keep up. Rabbit numbers are more governed by other environmental factors far more than predation. If you have lots rabbits though you will probably have lots cats and if ferret country, ferrets too. I have done cat jobs for farms to help manage toxo which is a shocker for sheep farmers. I don't know of a farmer here who wants cats left alone. PAPP is proving to be extremely effectice at heavily reducing feral cat numbers when used correctly. Up to 90% reduction post op! Keep your barrels warm. They are a bigger issue than many give them credit for and some of them sleep by the fire. As much as I am not a fan of extra rules and laws we should be requiring all domestic cats to be chipped and de sexed unless a registered breeder. Many ferals live undisturbed near towns etc as people think they belong to someone.

Mr Morgan was right. They serve no purpose in NZ.The predation they do to our native birds is diabolical. Kill every last one of them.Have had some near misses of going over the bank on country roads trying to bowl them at night.My 2C.

IP Logged

Cruz
Forum Senior

Cruz the Lab & Landcruzer
wheels

Reply #28 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 7:45am
Print Post  
Feral cats are everywhere - possibly our worst bird predator outside of genuine bush country!
I got a big Norway in that box and some buggar chewed off its tail and legs - so I left it on top of the box -  I came back a few days later, the rat was gone and the cat was inside - hard to believe how cats and large ferrets can get inside a doc250

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

Reply #29 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
I let three go so far this year. Smiley

Actually it amazes me that people get so riled up about cats, deer pigs etc when it comes to wrecking the native enviroment.
Just drive from Dunedin to Te Anau, and all you see is farmland.
People are the scourge. We have changed the face of 90% of this country and turned in into pasture.
But farming is fine.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards