Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic light bullets in a 308, has anyone tried this? (Read 2657 times)
poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

light bullets in a 308, has anyone tried this?
Apr 21st, 2019 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
I have a Baikal 308 with a 23.5" barrel and a 1:9.5 twist.
I am mainly going to be shooting goats I expect. I am just getting into seeing what ammo my rifle likes. It seems conventional wisdom is that it will favour heaver 165-190gr bullets.
Despite this I am curious if someone has tried using the 110-130 v-max bullets or similar in a 308. I figure that even a small bullet like a 110gr is still twice as large as a .223 and I have more than one mate who knock over everything in NZ with a 223. I figure it would be a pretty flat shooting bullet.

Is it doable or just a dumb idea?

IP Logged

leathel
Forum Font

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Re: light bullets in a 308, has anyone tried this?
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
they go quick for a wee while then fall out of the sky as the are as stream lined as a brick.....

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Presume your shooting them in open country at close to moderate ranges and dont really read what your goals are. Control of goats, long range, or just having fun on whatever pops up ?

You might need a lot of bullets, so unless someone else is paying for them.. or you dont care and are just doing it for fun , a .223 or .243 is still just as effective at ranges out to a 2-300  meters.  A couple of 10 shot mags on a .223 will shoot more goats than a lesser mag sized rifle in .308.

Wsnt exactly your question but I get these ideas all the time too, and need somone to talk me down..  Grin

Make a few bullets, look at all the work you do and the results, and then decide if it was worth it.   Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Shooting a lot of bullits out of a 223 more confortable than a 308. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
I already have the 308. Too late to swap it for a .2 something.
Mainly I am thinking of just having fun on whatever pops up, but the likelihood is goats at medium range (under 200m). I may have opportunities to shoot a few pigs or deer if I get lucky.

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Bit heavier but cheap as chips.FMJ 147gr ball ammo.Very accurate out to 400yds.Head shooting rabbits to 200yds, no problem,hawks get a good feed. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

SBrown

Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
I used to run both 125 and 130 out of my 16" T3 308. Had pretty good success with them. I think I used the 130ttsx and 125 accubond. They haul ass. Never had a failure from one.

I've recently changed to 168gr ELD-M in the same gun. Can get these going 2650 with 2206H. Have been thoroughly impressed with their performance. Dropped everything I've shot from 60 - 300m on the spot. I'll be sticking with these.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2019 at 8:27am
Print Post  
poodle wrote on Apr 22nd, 2019 at 8:00pm:
I already have the 308. Too late to swap it for a .2 something.
Mainly I am thinking of just having fun on whatever pops up, but the likelihood is goats at medium range (under 200m). I may have opportunities to shoot a few pigs or deer if I get lucky.

Most fun I ever had was shooting rabbits with the .243 using 55gn bullets at longer ranges.. 250-300 m were the shorter shots.  Shot thousands with that combo till the barrel was buggered. Trout will remember the days. He shot a few at well over 500m with the 308.

I expect youll experience the same amount of pleasure with lighter 308 bullets. One thing youll notice is much less recoil the lighter the bullet, which might improve your accuracy also. Worked for me anyway.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Apr 23rd, 2019 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
A good 130 grn bullet is the Lapua hollow point. They shoot well and kill ok. They have a big hollow cavity, but a friend used them on Tahr and they killed them ok. I think that they would make a great duel rabbit/bigger stuff bullet.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Apr 23rd, 2019 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Been using 130 gn TTSX's in my Sako A II last few years. In truth I haven't put that many animals on the deck, but they have been utterly reliable on fallow, sika and reds from 30 to 250 metres.

IP Logged

Kickstart
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Gas leak solved, yeah...NAAAA
NAAA run!!

Reply #10 - May 11th, 2019 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
V-max are explosive.  I use them in my 6.5 sweede and they are honestly devastating.  But you have to put them in the right place.... they dont Punch through.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards