Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic light bullets in a 308, has anyone tried this? (Read 4478 times)
Browndog300
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: light bullets in a 308, has anyone tried this?
Reply #15 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Ive got a heap of Woodleigh 130gn 308 projies that I picked up cheap for the young bloke to use in his rifle. Just havent loaded up anybut I reckon they should be good for under 200 yard shots. Looking forward to giving them a go.

IP Logged

grandpamac
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #16 - Nov 3rd, 2019 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Greetings Poodle,
You shouldn't have too much trouble with the lighter projectiles as long as you don't push them too fast. Years ago, while trying to turn my .308 into a .223 I played around with projectiles as light as 100 grains. They shot well, in spite of the 10 inch twist and longish throat, but nowhere near the 150 grain hunting loads. Almost any lead cored soft point or plastic tipped projectile should expand well down to an impact velocity of 2,000 fps or so and some of the round nose projectiles to rather less. I would steer clear of the Varmint or hollow point stuff though. Handloader Magazine published an article by Gary Sciuchetti, 20 years ago, which reported on extensive testing of .30  calibre 180 grain projectiles for expansion in test medium. He found that the Remington Corelokt expanded to low velocities and the Hornady Interlock was good as well. The balance was much the same.

Start loads from the manuals should give around 2,700 fps for 125 to 135 grain projectiles and load sheet published by Hodgdon a few years back gave the following loads using AR2206H.

125 grain projectile   38.0 grains   2,592 fps
130 grain projectile   37.0 grains   2,542 fps
135 grain projectile   36.5 grains   2,494 fps

Hot barrels on those goats.
Grandpamac.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #17 - Dec 4th, 2019 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
125grn speer TNTs dont exit wallabies......so they sure wont exit goat sized animals.... very impressive terminal preformance,a glancing blow across hips was naaasty to say the least took pudding bowl sized piece of everything out....
might be the ducks nuts for head/neck shooting fallow....would work on chest shot but would be very messy,dont know YET wether I would trust them on shoulder shot even on smaller animal like goat or fallow.

you sure know when they connect.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards