Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic epoxy steel recommendation. (Read 717 times)
shananah

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

epoxy steel recommendation.
Apr 17th, 2019 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
I went looking for my Epiglass Epoxy steel tins the other day to find it was history, totally gone off. I did some searches on here for epoxy steel & the best recommended seemed to be this stuff or something similar.
https://www.georgehenry.co.nz/shop/Chemicals/Adhesives/Devcon+Plastic+Steel+Epox...
The threads I found were a bit oldish so I'm asking is this stuff Ok for bedding (& other filling jobs needing some guts in them) or has time moved on yet again. It seems Epiglass is somewhat last century.† Sad

IP Logged

Nomads
Donor Member

Angler, hunter, gardener,
cook

Re: epoxy steel recommendation.
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2019 at 9:31am
Print Post  
I've used brownings epi Glass and also the stuff from Terminal Ballistics in Taranaki.

Nathans mix at Terminal is superior in everyway.

I did consider epoxy options but without a guaranteed release agent, I wasn't sure i wanted to make the bed a permanent one.

The box set from T Ballistics also has an online tutorial.  Its very good.

Like a cane chair at a nudist camp, always leave an impression.

IP Logged

shananah

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2019 at 11:06am
Print Post  
I'll check that out, though I was really looking for something I can get local & a bit cheaper, I have all the extras, just need the goop & some release agent. I did read in one of the older threads that LPS3 is a good release agent. I know I used to use some Brownells stuff I bought from the US when things like that were easier & post was reasonable. I only used the George Henry link for the Devcon 'cause I couldn't get the Paykels one to work but they would be a local supplier. The Epiglas plastic steel worked very well as a bedding agent & stood up to 308 Norma & 4216 Rigby recoil with no probs so I'm just looking for a modern equivalent.
The older threads I found were this one.
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1258254989
& this one.
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1318894900/0

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2019 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
I used Devcon 10110 liquid putty when I lived in the US and itís very good. A tub will do two or three rifles, but itís ridiculously expensive here ($130 compared to $US40). I like the putty as it doesnít run, but will squeeze where it needs to when you drop the barrelled action into the stock. You can also spread putty onto the recoil lug area to get good coverage and avoid voids.

Nathanís stuff is good too and worked well on my last job.

Kiwi neutral shoe polish is a great release agent too.

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Yep to the use of Devcon, its good shit

IP Logged

shananah

Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
J wrote on Apr 20th, 2019 at 12:07pm:
Kiwi neutral shoe polish is a great release agent too.

Thanks guys, For what I want a tube pack should cover me short term & a bit more affordable/easier to buy than Nathan's, nothing at all against his stuff though, maybe in the future. I do like the tip re the Kiwi neutral polish, I've been using it as resizing lube for some time now, it does good for that, probably find mine is all dried out/been repurposed by her indoors.  Wink

IP Logged

Bagheera
Forum Senior

Reply #6 - May 14th, 2019 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
I got some good advice on Devcon here  https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.nz/f15/devcon-47119/.

Blackwoods safety shop had it.

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2019 at 8:01am
Print Post  
I have used Kiwi black shoe polish for years and years, not only as a release agent but also as a metal finish, rather than oil, for my storage guns. The polish gives a nice, quality like feel to the metal parts, I use brown polish on the wood bits.
For a putty a good epoxy adheisive mixed with brown metal oxide from Motre 10 will do well.

IP Logged

shananah

Reply #8 - May 15th, 2019 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Bagheera wrote on May 14th, 2019 at 11:13pm:
I got some good advice on Devcon here† https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.nz/f15/devcon-47119/.

Blackwoods safety shop had it.

Thanks for that, I notice that they talk about mixing ratios with the tubs but the tubes are same sized so maybe different compostion but the tubes sure read much the same & I can't see me getting thru the tubs before they go off, so I'll head into Blackwoods & see what they say.

IP Logged

shananah

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2019 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
noelfj wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 8:01am:
I have used Kiwi black shoe polish for years and years, not only as a release agent but also as a metal finish, rather than oil, for my storage guns. The polish gives a nice, quality like feel to the metal parts, I use brown polish on the wood bits.
For a putty a good epoxy adheisive mixed with brown metal oxide from Motre 10 will do well.

I like the sound of that too, though I'm a bit puzzled about what you mean by brown metal oxide, can you be more specific for this numpty.  Smiley I'm guessing by epoxy adhesive you mean something like a two tube pack or are we talking a kneadit type?

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #10 - May 15th, 2019 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Two tube araldite usually slow setting, mixed with the oxide from Oxide Distributers Co Ltd, p.o.box 40-058 Glenfieid, Auckland. 09 444 9331, purchased from, Mitre 10.

IP Logged

shananah

Reply #11 - May 15th, 2019 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Great, thanks, I'll check that out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards